United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like FFG decided to give players the choice between Damage Decks, instead of requiring the new one. Worlds will still use the new deck exclusively.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/30/a-pilo...

What's particularly weird about this is that the cards with the same name, but slightly different effects, will function differently depending on which deck you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly kind of bummed about this. For casual play, people can and should use whatever deck they want. For tournaments though, the new deck is much more balanced, more consistent, and designed with years of the game's history in mind. I get that plenty of people were upset about needing to buy the TFA Core Set to play in tournaments next year, but if FFG wanted to address that it should have been done by making the new deck more widely available, not by backing down entirely. (Why didn't they update the deck in the recently reprinted Original Core Set?)

Unlike the issues with mixed faction dials or non-FFG playmats (where backing down didn't effect gameplay), this is actually a meaningful rules concession. To maintain a healthy tournament environment, this game needs to be able to change. If they can't even update the Damage Deck after 3+ years, they are going to get stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This sucks, it should be new deck only as it is more balanced.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I think it's a bad decision. The new damage deck isn't just different than the original - it's better. I've always thought it was a bit absurd that critical hits so often have no effect at all with the old deck, and it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me to require tournament players to buy a $30 package after three years in order to keep playing in tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly as a tourney player myself, IF a player wants to use the old deck.. be my guest if you want a pre-game handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Kentz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this decision is overall "good" for the game. It allows those that just have the original core set to get into tournament play without having to go out and spend yet another $40 for a damage deck. It also makes the original core set "relevant" and still marketable.

Jerome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Frankly as a tourney player myself, IF a player wants to use the old deck.. be my guest if you want a pre-game handicap.

It isn't always a handicap. It can be an advantage for the right list - particularly 4BZ or a TIE Swarm. Injured Pilot is a blank card against generics with no EPT. Munitions Failure is blank against ships with no secondary weapons. Minor Explosion is more forgiving than Major Explosion. The new deck was designed to be more consistent, but giving a choice allows lists that got off light under the old deck to exploit the inconsistencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeromek99 wrote:
I think this decision is overall "good" for the game. It allows those that just have the original core set to get into tournament play without having to go out and spend yet another $40 for a damage deck. It also makes the original core set "relevant" and still marketable.

Jerome

Or they could have just sold the damage deck separately for like, $5. I'm really surprised they didn't just go with that option, especially considering they're now selling bases, pegs, and dials separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if they just had wording along the lines of, 'It is strongly recommended to use the new damage deck and will be required for all Competitive Events and above'.

Heck they could even include 4 or so New Damage decks in the tournament kits that the store can give out to those that don't have the new damage deck. I know my store orders 2-3 kits and could easily help people get the extra deck they need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ick... I think this is needlessly complicating and unfortunate. The new damage cards are much more universally dreadful - as I personally believe a critical hit should be.

Seems like a really poor choice - especially for tournament-level play.

Is what it is though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suspect this is temporary for this transition period because a lot of people probably don't have the new set yet. I think toward the end of next year they will switch back to requiring only the new damage deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, this is a terrible decision. The fact that there are crits with the same name and different effects is reason alone, never mind the inconsistent nature of the old deck.

I understand the desire for more squad building options, but the damage deck shouldn't be one of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
I suspect this is temporary for this transition period because a lot of people probably don't have the new set yet. I think toward the end of next year they will switch back to requiring only the new damage deck.

This is what I suspected also. I think they will offer the new damage deck as a POD offering at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

It isn't always a handicap. It can be an advantage for the right list - particularly 4BZ or a TIE Swarm. Injured Pilot is a blank card against generics with no EPT. Munitions Failure is blank against ships with no secondary weapons. Minor Explosion is more forgiving than Major Explosion. The new deck was designed to be more consistent, but giving a choice allows lists that got off light under the old deck to exploit the inconsistencies.

That could be intentional - FFG watches the meta pretty closely and is always making tweaks. What if they were just seeing wave 7+ doing too much harm to those simple swarms and wanted to push out a super-minor rebalancing ruling to buff them a bit?

This does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
It looks like FFG decided to give players the choice between Damage Decks, instead of requiring the new one. Worlds will still use the new deck exclusively.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/30/a-pilo...

What's particularly weird about this is that the cards with the same name, but slightly different effects, will function differently depending on which deck you choose.

worst decision they have made in the length of the game. The decks effect different squads differently. They should have made their rules decision and stuck with it. January was plenty long enough to allow people that wanted to play to acquire a deck. It's confusing for new players to boot. They either caved to the whiners or to the whining retailers.
Offer a 9 dollar damage deck in a blister pack and its all solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:

This is what I suspected also. I think they will offer the new damage deck as a POD offering at some point.

This. This is all they really needed to do, make a damage deck available as a POD for those who don't want to buy a new core set. I mean, they made their mats tournament-required, I see no reason why a new damage deck can't be tournament-required (assuming you can buy it separately from the core set in question).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now a chance I will play in a tournament, as there was a 0% chance I will buy the new core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katogamerguy wrote:

The decks effect different squads differently.

Could you please clarify this a bit to people (me) who just started and are experimenting different squads? Or would that be unfair and unsporty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibs wrote:
Katogamerguy wrote:

The decks effect different squads differently.

Could you please clarify this a bit to people (me) who just started and are experimenting different squads? Or would that be unfair and unsporty?

The original deck has cards that disables secondary weapons, or pilot abilities/talents. Such conditional cards had zero effect for Academy TIEs for example, so a TIE swarm would want the original deck.

In the new deck every cards is a threat to every ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.