Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In reading through the game rules before I play a first game of Argent, I had some concern about the third level spell Dazzle.

Let's say I'm playing a three player game and I'm able to research this spell. Provided I have enough mana, it seems like I can lock the rest of the game by casting Dazzle, take two normal actions to take two bell tower cards, and then use my regular normal action to take the last one.

Because I'll go first next turn, I can do the same thing, and it really only requires two mana per turn (three to cast, minus one mana you can take from a bell tower card). True, you're only getting the positive benefits of one bell tower card per turn, since one goes to initiative and one probably goes to more mana, but even if one is only improving slightly each turn, it's disturbing to me that one player could essentially 'take out' perhaps three of the game's five turns that no one else could play on.

Is anyone else uncomfortable with this, and am I reading the spell wrong in any way? Is there anything that prevents a player from taking more than one Bell Tower card per player activation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but a fix might be to restrict taking bell tower cards to once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Horton
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother did that in a game once. It wasn't fun, for him or for the rest of us (2 other players), but it was possible. What it meant was that we were forced to use our red mages and other resources to keep him from getting anything each round to balance it out. In the end, he didn't win and the game was over quickly.

Honestly it's not all that different from grabbing all purples and greys spells and mages such that you can get everything out onto the board before everyone else. The game has inherent counters to that strategy by providing many attack options to force players into choosing between speed protection and attack. The options this game provides are the reasons that I love this game and take every opportunity to play just try to get as many different combinations as possible.

I 100% recommend getting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
I don't know, but a fix might be to restrict taking bell tower cards to once per turn.

Already in the game. We discovered this problem very early on, and in the rulebook it says when you take a Bell Tower card your turn ends IMMEDIATELY. You forgo any extra actions you've gained.

It's in bold, page 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you sir! I missed this on my reading of the rules. This obviously handles this issue - thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:
Thank you sir! I missed this on my reading of the rules. This obviously handles this issue - thanks again!

You're very welcome, happy to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had remembered that rule too. We had someone use that same tactic in a 3 player game, where we were using the spell-based Scenario (Well of Souls maybe?). He went first in rounds 4 and 5 and shut it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I wish I had remembered that rule too. We had someone use that same tactic in a 3 player game, where we were using the spell-based Scenario (Well of Souls maybe?). He went first in rounds 4 and 5 and shut it down.

Sorry to hear that.

You may want to print this Quick Reference and put it in the box. I think it's very helpful for those easy-to-miss but important rules.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116207/argent-rule-quick-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.