Subject: Custom Hoth Game I made rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
Hey just throwing this out there in case people are interested. I am using f-Toys models for the At-Ats and At-Sts. I am using snowspeeders from the Battle on Ice Planet Hoth model and the scales work pretty well together. I will try and post images of the models this weekend. Just putting a link to the cards I made and you can kind of get the rules from there.

It all needs to be play tested and I am sure some of the numbers will need adjusting but here it is anyways. I think the strength will be more in building a scenario where the imperial players have a turn limit to destroy things(like shield generators and stuff.)

So the idea was to make the snow speeders as fast and maneuverable as possible while making the ground stuff slow to try and give the idea of flying ships going against ground walkers.

So check it out. Open to suggestions. Just a first draft.

Here is a link to tabloid pages to print the cards and dials if you want!

https://sites.google.com/site/jorvicshobbies/miniatures/x-wi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very very cool, i have to get more toys nowsurprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
That's what happened to me when I got the idea to do this. Man $200 bucks later.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the speed differential high enough? I kind of feel like the Snowspeeder should be a different order of magnitude of speed, it could almost potentially move twice for every ground walker move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
Imperials

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
I like that idea. It crossed my mind at some point when I was thinking about all this. My idea now was to move the ground units not from base front to the base back but to move the base from the front of the movement marker just one or two spaces up by lining up the marker on the side of the base.

But now that you mention it as well the double move might be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I also got "frost" bitten by this bug and I really like the look of your cards. I hope you don't mind me sharing some pics.

Infantry are an important part of the battle as they hold objectives so it is good to represent them somehow.

I used the Huge ship approach for AT-AT movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
Not at all! I saw your stuff early on when I was brainstorming on what to use for the models for my Hoth stuff! Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
I ended up using the same Speeder models and Turrets as you did but went with f-Toys models for the At-At's and At-St models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
I need to set them up on the board I made and take some pics. I will try to take some in the next few days and post em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Really nice paint job on that speeder! Looking forward to seeing your other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you guys getting the figures for these? I want some, if anything for a pimped out version of Assault on Hoth: The Empire Strikes Back.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
So I got the speeders and turrets from the Battle on Ice Planet Hoth model kit from the 90's. The At-At's and At-St's are from a Japanese company called f-toys. I will take some pics of my painted ones and load them in a day or two. For now here are the pics from the company.

They make an awesome snowspeeder as well but it is just way out of scale with the At-At and At-St. Don't be fooled that a lot of websites list them as 1:144 scale. They are not! I made that mistake and bought a ton of them and had to return them to Amazon. That is why I went with the models from the 90's kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boby Bob
France
Nice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here an interesting site. It's in frensh, but you may find some different thinks...

http://www.sw-xwing.com/t5008-La-bataille-de-Hoth.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
Good Find! Looks like they used card stock or something for the At-At's, snow speeders and AT-ST's. Nice and cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boby Bob
France
Nice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsalazar2272 wrote:
Good Find! Looks like they used card stock or something for the At-At's, snow speeders and AT-ST's. Nice and cheap!

If you want plans? there they are :

http://siriusreplicas.com/models/scifi/at-at/at-at.htm

To optain this :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boby Bob
France
Nice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have the ST-AT plan here

http://www.siriusreplicas.com/models/scifi/at-st/at-st.htm

to have this :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
Ok so here are my models so far. The At-At's are 90% done but need a final wash of black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
The Good Guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
Might just be talking to myself but had a test play of Hoth this weekend and the guys I was with came up with a cool solution to creating a speed variation between ground vehicles and snow speeders.

So the Ground vehicles move by measuring the front of the base with the movement stick and then moving it forward only the length of the movement stick. So not front to back of the base but from to front.

So here is the real element that made it fun and interesting and different. The speeders must make one more move after shooting has taken place. So there is an additional move phase. No dials needed just move each speeder one by one.

So this really added a different element in the game where the speeders were zipping around all over the place! This was sometimes an advantage and sometimes a disadvantage as they flew right by and At-At and then into the range of it's guns.

All in all the game turned out to be reasonably well balanced and either team could have won in the last round. The only major change that was thought of was that the ground vehicles needed a "zero" move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorv salazar
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools

Here are a couple of shots of the game in progress. No rhyme or reason just thought to snap off a few shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already started collecting the minis to make this happen...how many of the walkers and the snowspeeders do you think make for a good matchup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Witthaus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice. What manufacturer is that shield generator from? The AMT kit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.