GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » General

Subject: [Diplomacy] Austria: Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
emmemme ottantotto
msg tools
Hello guys, this is my first post here.

Experts users of DIPLOMACY PLEASE HELP ME:

I will play Diplomacy with some INEXPERT friends and I will play with Austria.

I know that it is one of the weaker nations.

Specifying that in the first turns I will not be attacked from the
Germany and that MAYBE I will be able to find an accord with Russia and Italy for 2-3 seasons, you could post me a list of possible strategies?

Simply in order to not to be swept a the second turn...

Please, write If you know another forum where I can pose the same question or a web site with strategies' referencies.

THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are sure of those aliiances, destroy Turkey ASAP and build lots of armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy.htm

Specifically:
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles...

Note however that when in a game with new players that often these types of articles are more than useless because of all the chaos caused by the unsettled gameplay styles. The gameplay style of your group is more important that any strategy article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emmemme ottantotto
msg tools
quozl wrote:
If you are sure of those aliiances, destroy Turkey ASAP and build lots of armies.

First, Many thanks for your reply.

I'm sure about Italy and Germany, but not about Russia.

Can you write me some possibles moves, considering this situation?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do, try and get Russia and Turkey mistrusting eachother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mm88 wrote:

I'm sure about Italy and Germany, but not about Russia.

You and Russia could agree that you will both move to Galicia. That way, neither of you worries about the other sneaking into Gal, but you are still friendly. One possible opening is:

Vie-Gal
Bud-Ser
Tri-Alb

Also, see:
http://www.diplom.org/
news:rec.games.diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important point is to talk to everybody. Be certain to talk to your enemies. If you have Italy and Germany in your camp, then get them to go pound France. And if possible, tip off England so that England will support France. That should keep those four powers busy with one another.

Then talk to Russia about Turkey, and talk to Turkey about Russia. Get them to suspect one another and get them to both want you as an ally against the other. Then you take your pick. Either stab Russia in the back, or stab Turkey. Make sure that you get your fair share of centers in the Balkans. Once one of T or R is committed against the other, start thinking about your next stab. It will be the other one of course. Your end goal is to kill off one of R or T and cripple the other by the time the western conflict is sorting itself out.

Be sure to always stay in touch with every country. If you are talking to someone you want to take advantage of, then offer lots of details about how you will work together. It's okay to promise him things you have no intention of delivering. The important part is to get the target country to believe you and to trust you.

Specifically with Austria, you must take Serbia and Greece in the first year. Turkey will get Bulgaria and Russia will probably get Rumania. If you decide on a Turkey first strategy, be sure to get Bulgaria and Constantinople while allowing Russia to take Ankara. Make some silly deal that he likes with regard to Smyrna, or giving him Con later. It's okay, lie to him. Once those centers are falling your way, it's time for the stab. Arrange your forces so that you can take Rumania and one other center during a FALL turn. If you can arrange a strike from England at St.Pete's than do it. The point with a stab is not to simply wound a country, and thus anger him, but to really cripple him so that he cannot fight back effectively. But a good stab does not happen by accident. You have to premeditate it by getting your forces in position for the attack. Once you have decided to stab a country, then you can tell as many lies as are necessary to make the stab happen.

-Glenn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emmemme ottantotto
msg tools
Godeke wrote:
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy.htm

Specifically:

Note however that when in a game with new players that often these types of articles are more than useless because of all the chaos caused by the unsettled gameplay styles. The gameplay style of your group is more important that any strategy article.

thanks for interesting links.

Yes, inexperience can nullify every strategy.

BUT, inexperience can lead to previdible moves too.

I'll thank you for each suggestion about a possible strategy to mantein during the first seasons, as Rod Spade and Glenn genlty did.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trieste should either hold or move to Albania. Hold if you think there's even a 5% chance that Italy will do something stupid. Move to Albania otherwise to have a say in who gets Greece in the Fall.

Vienna should probably move to Galicia because you can't let Russia get into Galicia. You probably want to bounce out of Galicia, so you should consider arranging a bounce with Russia. Only move Vienna to Budapest if you're going to move Budapest to Rumania, but that's probably not wise.

Rumania should probably move to Serbia, which will stem Turkey's progress in Bulgaria, and will give you some say in whether you, Turkey, or Italy gets Greece in the Fall.

Good luck. The key is to make sure Russia and Turkey don't ally to form the steamroller. The other key is to make sure Italy doesn't attack you, convince Italy that a fight between you two will be the downfall of both. Play Russia and Turkey off each other, eventually use one to destroy the other (definitely try to get them to fight over the Black Sea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Turkey must go. Work with italy/russia on this.
Do not fight Germany early this just takes you both out of the game.
As austrial I usually go for the following. Turkey out of the game, Russia out of the game, italy out of the game look for solo... if not find best 3 way draw and play toward it.

In the end you have to take control of your half of the board 1st. if you waste time fighting german England and or France will have the advantage mid game.

Never think you are out of the game even with 1 unit left. Someone can always use help on something, you may be able to hang in there and prevent a solo.

most important... remember:

TRUST...but Verify.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Offer to support Russia into RUM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
Never think you are out of the game even with 1 unit left. Someone can always use help on something, you may be able to hang in there and prevent a solo.

This. In our last game, Austria got pounded down to two centres, and one of them was down in Greece! Through some very cunning negotiating he not only got himself back in the game, he ended up coming a close second behind an England solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read up on the Lepanto Opening and start talking to Italy!

You must keep Turkey from moving to the Aegean (see the article) so your diplomacy should gently dissuade Turkey from that - promise him anything - tell him the Russians are up to dire things in the Black Sea. Whatever you can to distract him from the Aegean. If he is moving there and Russia is his friend you and Italy will not be happy campers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help Italy get into Greece. Incite Russia and Turkey to go after each other. Ally with England to ultimately go after Russia.

And don't let the other players read this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an old, but very well written piece by the late Richard Sharp on a player's approach to Austria in the opening moves:-

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/god/eight.htm

Here is a large list of possible opening strategies for Austria:-

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/austria....

Likely to be overwhelming. If you are fairly new to Diplomacy, I would recommend reading Richard Sharp's excellent introduction to the game in its entirety:-

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/god.htm

And for all things Diplomatic, look no further than the Diplomatic Pouch website:-

http://www.diplom.org

Above all, keep your knife sharp and behind your back, do not be upset when somebody stabs you and keep talking to all the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a diplomacy truism that the player who talks to the most players usually wins!

And despite all the talk about knives - I have found that the longer you can prove trustworthy and reliable the better you will do. And the more likely you will get close enough to do real damage when and if you do make a stab.

There is no WORSE play in Diplomacy than an ineffective stab.

There is no BETTER play in Diplomacy than keeping your word until the perfect opportunity avails itself (if even needed). Everyone forgives a winner as they see that they would have done the same if given the opportunity.

My best games of Diplomacy I have had other players begging me to take their centers so that their despised foes would not get them! devil

Have fun, remember it is just a game with one winner and six losers! Good character builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emmemme ottantotto
msg tools
really, THANKS TO YOU ALL.

DragonCat gives me the chance to underline an important thing:

DragonCat wrote:
Read up on the Lepanto Opening and start talking to Italy!

ALL players are persuaded that the Lepanto Opening will be my opening move.

So, I wish slighty modify this opening in a intelligent and unexpected way.

Furthermore, I can encourage Russia and Turkey fighting each against other, but my diplomatic cheats with Russia will not endure. Russia will attack me in few turns.

MANY THANKS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
It is a diplomacy truism that the player who talks to the most players usually wins!

And despite all the talk about knives - I have found that the longer you can prove trustworthy and reliable the better you will do. And the more likely you will get close enough to do real damage when and if you do make a stab.

There is no WORSE play in Diplomacy than an ineffective stab.

There is no BETTER play in Diplomacy than keeping your word until the perfect opportunity avails itself (if even needed). Everyone forgives a winner as they see that they would have done the same if given the opportunity.

My best games of Diplomacy I have had other players begging me to take their centers so that their despised foes would not get them! devil

Have fun, remember it is just a game with one winner and six losers! Good character builder!

Excellent point: messing up people's plans in small ways is only a way to annoy them and garner metagaming bad karma. The stab is *only* for achieving a game winning play (and no one will despise you for *winning* the game on a well crafted stab as the game is now over). Another (less preferable) time is if you can eliminate a player in one move and gain the resource centers the player *was* occuping. As the stabbed player has been eliminated, retaliation can usually be forestalled or confounded by proper negotiation (unless it took you *nearly* to a win). These require clarity of communications with the other players though: to them, this shouldn't appear to be a stab.

He who lives by the stab, dies by the stab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I would push for an AT alliance. At all costs, keep a RI alliance from forming. Once Turkey is out of the way with an RI, Austria is next. Better to get I fighting F. An AT can be profitable to both nations. Russia can be taken down, and once she is down to size, you can pursue your options. The key is that you need to lay down the groundwork for the AT early, or T can eat your lunch later. You need to point out to him that an AT is better for him than the RT (since T is in the driver seat of an AT). He should go into the Med and the Aegean and concentrate on the fleets. If you feel the need to stab, go after him when he gets embroiled with Italy. Take Italy down to size, and then turn on him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emmemme ottantotto
msg tools
Nice thread.

Many thanks to you ALL.

A rule is clear: I will speak with all the participants the most is possible.

Now, considering a starting strong pact with Germany and Italy,
could you suggest to me the possible orders for the first 2-3 seasons?

I promise to report here the game workflow.

many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're moving EAST, young man!

Army toward Warsaw. If you can talk England and Germany in keeping Russia busy in the north, and Turkey into keeping Russia busy in the south, Warsaw is yours in Turn 2. It will help to have an alliance with Russia - use your movement into the Balkans to convince him you will help him against Turkey.

Army into the Balkans! If you can work well with Italy, you should each have a city there by Turn 2. This means an alliance with Turkey to keep Russia busy in the South. Use your move toward Warsaw to convince Turkey you're going after Russia in the north. Explain (after Turn 1) that your move in the Balkans was to keep Italy out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan que
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was just looking up strategies when i came to this board
i am about to start my very first game
everything is all set up
and know how to play but i need to know how to take this
i have germany and russia as allies
and italy and turkey as enemies
they are going to annihilate me at any chance they can
what should i do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgpman wrote:
I was just looking up strategies when i came to this board
i am about to start my very first game
everything is all set up
and know how to play but i need to know how to take this
i have germany and russia as allies
and italy and turkey as enemies
they are going to annihilate me at any chance they can
what should i do

You're Austria? Just be happy you're fighting a one-front war!

Get Russia to go after Turkey, or support you defensively. Russia can move armies around the EASTERN shore of the Black Sea - some players don't notice that. And THAT will give Turkey someting to think about!

Germany can't do much, but you need to keep that alliance or you're fighting a two front war. Get France to go after Italy, or draw off any Italian attacks against you.

Who's in the Mediterranean? France? England? Either of these countries should be more than willing to help you, since it advances their interests.

I've noticed some Diplomacy players never talk to countries they're not directly adjacent to, but those can be the strongest alliances: EG Turkey to England - "None of the other players suspect that we have them surrounded!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've noticed some Diplomacy players never talk to countries they're not directly adjacent to, but those can be the strongest alliances: EG Turkey to England - "None of the other players suspect that we have them surrounded!"

Never even thought of that possibility, but I can see that would be an easy mistake for a new player to make. It is *far* easier to be allied with someone who isn't fighting over the same build centers, even if your assistance to one another is indirect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.