Warrior Knights» Forums » General

Subject: Converting old game to new rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Wadley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello. I have the 1985 board game and was wondering, due to the length of time it takes to play the original, if I can use the new rules to play the original game? What is the major difference that allows the players to finish in so short a time? Would I need different components to adapt the new rules to the old board game? Or is it just not possible to mix the old with the new?

Thank you for your assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
It isn't possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
It isn't possible.

It's not impossible but it would require a great deal of hard work (not to mention violation of FFG's and the designers' intellectual property).

You might be able to create a similar system for scoring in the old version; I believe one has already been suggested somewhere on the Warrior Knights page. You essentially track how many cities are controlled by each player every turn and when you hit your set time limit you count up the points for the last five turns.

It really is a lot less work buying FFG's version; it's different enough to justify owning both and it's a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:

... (not to mention violation of FFG's and the designers' intellectual property).

Now, that's a fairly odd statement. IP laws don't prevent you from playing a game any way you like in your own home.

Sure, photocopying a WK rulebook is a copyright infringement. But if you borrow that manual, read it, create your own custom ruleset and components, then give the manual back, I'm pretty sure you haven't done anything illegal.

Of course, if you then want write down your custom ruleset, and then to upload it on BGG, that's a whole different matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:

... (not to mention violation of FFG's and the designers' intellectual property).

Now, that's a fairly odd statement. IP laws don't prevent you from playing a game any way you like in your own home.

Sure, photocopying a WK rulebook is a copyright infringement. But if you borrow that manual, read it, create your own custom ruleset and components, then give the manual back, I'm pretty sure you haven't done anything illegal.

Of course, if you then want write down your custom ruleset, and then to upload it on BGG, that's a whole different matter...

Now that is a fairly odd statement.

IP laws don't "prevent" anything... what's your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Now that is a fairly odd statement.

IP laws don't "prevent" anything... what's your point?

Well, you seemed to say that customizing the game was illegal, and I was saying that it isn't. Maybe the fact that English is a second language to me isn't helping, but that's the gist of it.

Maybe you only meant to say that doing so would be immoral (which I could agree with, but only to some extent).

On the other hand, you also said he'd be better off encouraging the new publisher than doing all that work, which I completely agree with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.