9 Posts

Mysterium» Forums » Rules

Subject: giving visions to players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Walsh
msg tools
badge
I know this probably won't come up but as the ghost, can I deal all 7 cards from my hand to one player?

If I read the rules correctly, i can give one or more from my hand and then draw back up to 7 before I give the next player a vision.

I understand that this is a horrible idea, but I just want to know if that's a correct interpretation.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you did I believe no one else would get a clue and have to blind guess until the next round when you refill your hand seems like a bad idea but it could be fun to see everyone's reaction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davethebabe wrote:
I know this probably won't come up but as the ghost, can I deal all 7 cards from my hand to one player?

If I read the rules correctly, i can give one or more from my hand and then draw back up to 7 before I give the next player a vision.

I understand that this is a horrible idea, but I just want to know if that's a correct interpretation.

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can give 1 to 7 cards for each vision. After giving a vision you draw back up to 7 cards before giving the next vision.

However, it is unlikely that all 7 cards are good clues for the card you are trying to get the psychic to guess.

Still, some people do this (called a ghost temper-tantrum or ghost dumping) if they have no good clues for anyone and just want to empty their hand to get fresh cards kinda like using a crow. Realizing this is what is happening, the psychic will probably ignore those cards. Some people have a house rule against temper-tantrums/ghost-dumping in which case if you give 7 cards they should all be clues and not discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
If you did I believe no one else would get a clue and have to blind guess until the next round when you refill your hand seems like a bad idea but it could be fun to see everyone's reaction

You draw back up after every vision so the others would get visions from your new hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
davethebabe wrote:

Technically you can, but house rule it to no more than 3 dream cards per investigator to avoid ghost dumping as a free crow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's against the spirit of the game because everyone is supposed to be doing their hardest to work together. By giving one player all of his cards, the ghost player is essentially forcing that player to blind guess since the odds of them having any clear idea of which card he's being directed toward are extremely low with so many vision cards. Remember that the faster the psychic player correctly guess their 3 cards, the further they move on the clairvoyance track, which is super important to the endgame, and to all players winning.

The ghost draws back up to seven card after giving each player one or more visions, so technically you could do this. But again, you'd be potentially sinking the game for everyone because you're almost certainly setting a player back for a turn each time you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes one of the players only has 1 option, so sinking as a free crow makes a lot of sense. It's slightly gaming things though, and I wasn't that keen on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be confused with walking into the bathroom in the middle of the night and it smelling really bad kind of ghost dumping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi Korpisaukko
msg tools
mb
davethebabe wrote:

Thanks in advance!

We played Mysterium several round during Christmas weekend and we accidentally also came up with ghost dumping.
Unfortunately (due to how my mind works) I started thinking of the most extreme bending of rules:
If the ghost is not allowed to communicate in other forms than giving visions, but he can eavesdrop instructions from psychic, then the psychics can just talk amongst themselves "I wish the ghost gives me N visions, where N is Nth card from the left, like 1 vision for 1st card on the left etc...". Now the ghost just simply gives the correct amount of cards for each psychic and the game is broken. Was there anything in the rules that could prevent this from happening, or is it just gentleman's rules? I guess the original game averted this by limiting the visions to 1 card/psychic/round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.