Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card hidden on second two levels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rulebook says to keep card face up in the intro game.

They then say:

"When playing the Standard (5 Epidemics) or Heroic (6 Epidemics)
games, keep your cards private, so everyone has information to
contribute to play discussions."

How would they have information to contribute if cards were hidden? Or are they saying by keeping the cards hidden then each person would have to speak up to share what they had, thus allowing them a chance to contribute? I guess otherwise if the cards were out then one person could see everything and then dominate (quarterback) the game?

Thanks,
John
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen that rule. We've always played face up. Even the iPad app has all the players with cards face up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
The cards are hidden but you are not restricted in what you can tell the other players. Some people don't like this and play open anyway.

I prefer the hidden cards as it forces quiet people to communicate, and helps stop one player from dominating the game (alpha gamer). I'm not sure if I've ever played with open cards.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
The cards are hidden but you are not restricted in what you can tell the other players. Some people don't like this and play open anyway.

I prefer the hidden cards as it forces quiet people to communicate, and helps stop one player from dominating the game (alpha gamer). I'm not sure if I've ever played with open cards.


This.

It keeps it a game, rather than "Do everything Bob says, because Bob knows best".
Because that can lead to
A) "I told you do that! Why didn't you do that!? Now we're all dead."
B) "You told me to do that! Why did you tell me to do that!? Now we're all dead."
C) "Bob knows my cards. He's telling everyone what to do, so I don't need to really pay attention anymore"

Bob's a douche.

Don't be Bob.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or don't invite Bob.

Team is supposed to collaborate and negotiate, no? Best to do that with the most info possible. I could see the opposite happening. "You had the XXX card and didn't play it? Why didn't you say you had XXXX ?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
Or don't invite Bob.

Team is supposed to collaborate and negotiate, no? Best to do that with the most info possible. I could see the opposite happening. "You had the XXX card and didn't play it? Why didn't you say you had XXXX ?"


This can work for the team too. Alpha sees he's being a jerk for not letting Omega speak up and is more of a cooperative player. Omega sees that everybody has something to contribute and gets out of his/her shell. YMMV of course; some jerks never learn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnraggio wrote:
Or don't invite Bob.



Or, if you know you're Bob (which I do), just embrace your inner alpha and stick to playing Pandemic solo (which I do).

cool

-djm
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
johnraggio wrote:
Or don't invite Bob.



Or, if you know you're Bob (which I do), just embrace your inner alpha and stick to playing Pandemic solo (which I do).

cool

-djm


Good one, Dave (err, Bob). I just got the copy of the game from Amazon and bought the iOS version too. Have not had a chance to play yet. Probably play solo on iOS a few times before asking my lunch crew to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule has been changed in Pandemic Legacy where the rulebook (page 6) says:
Quote:
In Pandemic Legacy, players keep their hands faceup at all times.

If you are playing Pandemic Legacy, don't be/invite Bob.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Woosley
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I always play open hands, because it helps keep players from mangling the cards in their grubby hands.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.