Andrew Gibbons
msg tools
Ok, so some amounts of frustration ensued with debates over wording and rulings in our latest Imperial Assault session on the mission "Loose Cannon".

There are 2 rebels (I was using Mak Eshka) who would both normally equip the Legendary Hero status applying +10 health and "At the beginning of the mission, recieve a second activation token".

Then the mission rule states:

"The AT-ST is a rebel figure under Mak's Control. When Mak activates, ready and activate the AT-ST. Mak's hero figure is not deployed and cannot activate. Apply additional health equakl to the threat level to the AT-ST. The AT-ST can enter and occupy spaces on the Hangar".

Problem 1: It seemed reasonable to discern that the AT-ST doesnt get the additional 10 health from Legendary, as the Legendary is applied to Mak's Hero card and not the AT-ST. However confusion came into play as to whether or not it would get 2 activation tokens.
My reasoning was this: the rules state that When Mak activates, ready and activate the AT-ST to me that says that I first activate Mak from the Hero card (using an activation token) then redirect to the AT-ST. The game master however ruled against this saying that I was "playing the AT-ST, not the Hero". We played as so and the AT-ST was destroyed on round 2 which leads me to Problem 2:

Problem 2:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Once the AT-ST is destroyed the mission rules read "place Mak's figure in one of the spaces that was occupied by the AT-ST. He suffers 10 Damage".

Now we have the problem of whether or not Mak's hero card recieves the second activation token at all, because the Legendary Hero card states "At the beginning of the mission, recieve a second activation token". Since I began using Mak's hero card half way through the mission there was a debate over whether or not I can use a second activation token for the remainder of the mission even though I'm no longer an AT-ST.

My reasoning was this: I was still the hero card at the start of the game and I still recieved the second activation token on the hero card, even if I couldnt use it until now because I was using the AT-ST. .. Since the game at this point was becoming a little heated, they conceded to my point allowing me to use the second activation for the remainder of the game.

We still lost of course, I was unable to kill any imperials with the AT-ST before it was destroyed and we were immediately swarmed and though we grinded out 3 more rounds we were defeated.

Any thoughts on what the correct ruling is in these situations? I feel like as we played it, this mission is straight impossible for 2 rebels to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) You get 2 activation tokens at the beginning of the mission. It happens before the mission even starts, so ruling in the mission would call for you to discard/drop the 2nd activation token if it would be intended for you to only have 1 token

2) The AT-ST is only a regular figure, not a hero. It can't rest, it can't attack twice in an activation and it can't recover strain (or health) with surge. Don't forget that.

3) With 2 activation tokens, you get 2 activations with the AT-ST each round.

4) The health of the AT-ST indeed is not boosted by Legendary. Just apply +threat level to it's health.

5) Once defeated, you of course continue normally with Mak. You should have 2 activation tokens already.

But, this mission is still hard as nails for the rebels, especially early in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan seems to have it all explained. The relevant part of the mission rules for the activations is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The AT-ST is a Rebel figure under Mak's control. When Mak activates, ready and activate the AT-ST. The AT-ST is not a hero and can not use both of its actions to attack. Mak's hero figure is not deployed and can not activate.

Which basically says that Mak has two activation tokens and uses them throughout the whole game. What happens when he activates (twice per round with Legendary) has just a little different results in the first part of the game than the rest of the game.

Also, if the AT-ST gets any conditions, they are not Mak's conditions. They are not transferred when the AT-ST is defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gibbons
msg tools
Thanks guys. I thought it seemed a bit unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Using 2 heroes is unfair. Use 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.