Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Power Grid: The Stock Companies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stock Companies Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Stock Companies today and ended up with several questions about the rules.

In the stock round:
1) What if everyone passes (distinguished from quit)?

In the auction round:
1) Can a company buy multiple plants? We decided yes given the amount of assets and the number of business rounds in the game.
2) When you pass on the option to offer an auction are you out for the round? We assumed yes, as in standard Power Grid.
3) If you're the president of two companies can the two companies bid against each other?
4) Does the auction round end when all companies have passed? We assumed yes.
5) What happens to the power plant market in step 3?

Other than what happens to the market in step 3 (which we possibly shouldn't have reached) the game seemed to work well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fargus9 wrote:
Played Stock Companies today and ended up with several questions about the rules.

In the stock round:
1) What if everyone passes (distinguished from quit)?


This is a necessary errata for the rules.

We forgot to add this sentence:
"The Share round ends, after all players quit, or if all players pass consecutively (in that case, the first passing player gets the starting player card)."

Quote:

In the auction round:
1) Can a company buy multiple plants? We decided yes given the amount of assets and the number of business rounds in the game.
2) When you pass on the option to offer an auction are you out for the round? We assumed yes, as in standard Power Grid.
3) If you're the president of two companies can the two companies bid against each other?
4) Does the auction round end when all companies have passed? We assumed yes.
5) What happens to the power plant market in step 3?


Generally, the business round works exactly as playing "normal" Power Grid.

Re 1: In a single auction phase, a company can only buy a single power plant. During the game, of course each company can own a total of 3 power plants. If it buys a fourth plant, it must trash one of the power plants.

Re 2: Yes, if the company passes on the option to offer a power plant for auction, it is out for the round.

Re 3: Yes, of course.

Re 4: The auction round ends, after each company had its chance to buy a power plant. If all companies simply pass, the auction round ends.

Re 5: During Step 3 of the game, you simply remove the smallest power plant and replace it with a new one from the draw stack. (This is one of the cases, where we only explained the differences to normal Power Grid. As this rule does not change, we did not add it in that paragraph).

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers!

Henning wrote:
Generally, the business round works exactly as playing "normal" Power Grid.


Hopefully this general statement will get added to that section of the rules in the future! [Found this statement was at the beginning of the rules.]

Henning wrote:
fargus9 wrote:

5) What happens to the power plant market in step 3?


Re 5: During Step 3 of the game, you simply remove the smallest power plant and replace it with a new one from the draw stack. (This is one of the cases, where we only explained the differences to normal Power Grid. As this rule does not change, we did not add it in that paragraph).


Okay, so the smallest plant is replaced. Is the step 3 card and the smallest then removed and the entire market becomes available?

One more question:
During the stock round when a share is sold does it move on top of the tokens behind it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Cohen
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
Henning wrote:
[q="fargus9"]
Quote:

3) If you're the president of two companies can the two companies bid against each other?

Re 3: Yes, of course.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)


We have a house rule that if you own two companies, then one company cannot directly raise the bid of the other company if owned by you. This will prevent an owner by creating an artificial bidding war just for using all the existing cash of a company to buy a single power plant (like paying 200 electros for a 10 electro power plant). Then because he has the first player token, sells all his shares of the comopany and dumps this shell of a company on another player. This is one aspect of many 18xx games that our group did not want to bring into Powergrid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
cohenhs wrote:
Henning wrote:
[q="fargus9"]
Quote:

3) If you're the president of two companies can the two companies bid against each other?

Re 3: Yes, of course.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)


We have a house rule that if you own two companies, then one company cannot directly raise the bid of the other company if owned by you. This will prevent an owner by creating an artificial bidding war just for using all the existing cash of a company to buy a single power plant (like paying 200 electros for a 10 electro power plant). Then because he has the first player token, sells all his shares of the comopany and dumps this shell of a company on another player. This is one aspect of many 18xx games that our group did not want to bring into Powergrid.


Your house rule seems consistent with the rule preventing the purchase of an unnecessarily expensive city across multiple connections.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cohenhs wrote:
Henning wrote:
[q="fargus9"]
Quote:

3) If you're the president of two companies can the two companies bid against each other?

Re 3: Yes, of course.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)


We have a house rule that if you own two companies, then one company cannot directly raise the bid of the other company if owned by you. This will prevent an owner by creating an artificial bidding war just for using all the existing cash of a company to buy a single power plant (like paying 200 electros for a 10 electro power plant). Then because he has the first player token, sells all his shares of the comopany and dumps this shell of a company on another player. This is one aspect of many 18xx games that our group did not want to bring into Powergrid.


The downside of this of course is that you can't have one of your companies start an auction that only your other company has a desire to bid on. I think this is a valid auction.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chapman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played this the first time the other day, and we saw some wisdom in this house rule. However we modified it a bit in anticipation of the complications mentioned by Greg. Our house rule was something like this:

Quote:
Version A:
In an auction you may continue to raise as long as other players are in the auction. As soon as the only companies left in an auction are the ones you are the president of, you may only outbid one of your companies one time (by 1 electro).


At the beginning of the auction on a plant, it is understood that all the companies that have not yet purchased a plant during this business phase are in the auction until they have had a chance to pass, and they continue in the auction until they win it or pass.

This house rule combined with the max raise of 5 dollars/electro can limit how much money a player could dump off of a company.
You can imagine a few situations where the order of the companies, or what companies are out because they already have a plant this turn, can make a difference of how much they can dump. It would be possible to write the rule to limit this further, such as:

Quote:
Version B:
In an auction you may only raise by 1 electro when you are directly out-bidding against another company of which you are also the president (when out-bidding a company controlled by another player, your maximum raise is still 5 electro). As soon as the only companies left in an auction are the ones you are the president of, you may only outbid one of your companies one time (by 1 electro).


I can imagine that when playing in good faith of not trying to waste money for any of your companies you *might* get tripped up by version B of this house rule. If there was a certain price you felt the plant should be at or above against a specific company, you may have to bump the price up with your first bidding company to get to that price even though you have another company bidding early enough to do the raise themselves. So version B might might be unnecessarily more convoluted just to shave off a few dollars/electro that a player could waste. Of course the more companies that player controls, the more of a difference there could be between these two versions of the rule.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Vera
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
In my heart I am a gamer.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
In the Stock Companies (first variant) what is the starting money for the companies? According to what i have read... since at start you have to buy the president stock and the money is paid to the bank and the bank gives it to the companies... That for company Purp/Green it would be 80, red/yellow 60 and blue/black 40? If no one else buys stocks. Another thing you can only buy ONE share at a time? or can you buy a lot of shares at the same moment? Im just thinking of this in case at the start of the game the first player can buy 2 or more companies of the bat (which can have a negative impact in the rest of the players). It could possibly mean someone doesnt get to start with a company because he was last? Sorry for all these questions some things dont seem to be clear in the rules
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suro wrote:
In the Stock Companies (first variant) what is the starting money for the companies? According to what i have read... since at start you have to buy the president stock and the money is paid to the bank and the bank gives it to the companies... That for company Purp/Green it would be 80, red/yellow 60 and blue/black 40? If no one else buys stocks. Another thing you can only buy ONE share at a time? or can you buy a lot of shares at the same moment? Im just thinking of this in case at the start of the game the first player can buy 2 or more companies of the bat (which can have a negative impact in the rest of the players). It could possibly mean someone doesnt get to start with a company because he was last? Sorry for all these questions some things dont seem to be clear in the rules



You can buy one certificate at a time. The very first certificate will always be the 2 share director's certificate so you would pay double the par price into the company.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suro wrote:
It could possibly mean someone doesnt get to start with a company because he was last?

And this is bad because? Starting a company is often not the right thing to do in this expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suro wrote:
Im just thinking of this in case at the start of the game the first player can buy 2 or more companies of the bat (which can have a negative impact in the rest of the players). It could possibly meansomeone doesnt get to start with a company because he was last?

As others wrote, you can't do that, since you buy one certificate at a time.

But imagine you could do it?
Example: 4 player game, 150 starting money per player.
Player 1 buys the green president for 80, and the red president for 60.
Player 2 buys 3 green shares for 120, and becomes green president.
Player 3 buys 4 red shares for 120, and becomes red president.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Vera
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
In my heart I am a gamer.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Interesting strategy not buying a company, haven't tried it yet. Some problems i find, buying the biggest companies doesn't give you money for much, stock prices in the games i have played (5, 6 players) dont climb higher than 70. And while some companies where making great investments their stock was always low (undervalued).. while in another case someone just didn't invest in increasing the assets of the company and distributed income all rounds so their stock was higher even thou the company was "worthless"...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.