Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mayfair [+] [View All]
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Why does Mayfair's customer service suck so hard?
Quote:
That's awful. They should have been banging down my door trying to fix the problem.

If this were a heart stent or a gas furnace in the middle of winter, I'd understand your extreme reponse a lot better.

Seriously man, I'm not one to _ever_ cut a publisher slack but this time- cut them a little slack...you're not the only person in the world who's trying to get them to send replacement parts. I needed those booster rings and a rocket and I requested them at the beginning of December and didn't get them until last week. Why? Was it some kind of "scheme"? No, likely it was because it was Christmas time and they were focusing on other matters related to the functioning of their business. Yet somehow, I got by without freaking out and complaining online...heck, I actually didn't even think about it until they showed up.

As for the Settlers parts...you likely got on their "bad" list for bugging them about the rocket rings. I've directed several folks who needed replacement roads/settlements/etc. and they had no problem getting them. But maybe they changed their policy on that.

Too bad you're not going to buy any more of their products because of these relatively minor issues...Seafarers (let alone Cities and Knights) are well worth your money. And their customer service- although slow sometimes- has always been on par with other publishers in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
i can see your anger about the first problem. That is terrible id be pretty pissed off as well. That is poor service and you have every right to complain.

But the second is your fault not theirs. Firstly you (well not you your friends) lost the parts, the pieces were complete when you got the game so its no their fault. There is a reason why they have to sell replacement parts, they arent free to make. plus why should you get them sent to your home for free? you lost the parts. $5.50 is quite reasonable, you have your spare pieces you want right there.

People really expect too much from business's today, its getting beyond rediculous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:

As for the Settlers parts...you likely got on their "bad" list for bugging them about the rocket rings. I've directed several folks who needed replacement roads/settlements/etc. and they had no problem getting them.

Well that simply isn't the case, because unless they caller IDed me or something, they didn't know it was me again. And if they really refused service because I "bugged them" that would be even worse.
Yes, this is an extreme response. I am really upset right now. I'm probably overreacting. But I really don't know what else I can do except pay them $14. I feel extorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
crackedlcd81 wrote:

Too bad you're not going to buy any more of their products because of these relatively minor issues...Seafarers (let alone Cities and Knights) are well worth your money.

yes they are especially cities and knights! but i never play without seafareres anymore,its suprising how many people dont think of building ships to have the longest road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... i'm always undecided about how I feel about the replacement part issue. I REALLY want to be able to buy replacement parts for my games at a reasonable price... yet at the same time I think I can understand the complications that such a policy would offer for a game company.

I do know, however, that Fantasy Flight Games has always been really good about replacing parts for me, and they seem to be doing quite well.

I think the game companies need to be cut a little slack, though. Every so often I am reminded of how low their production numbers really are, and that puts things into better perspective for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osama Bin Davis wrote:
i can see your anger about the first problem. That is terrible id be pretty pissed off as well. That is poor service and you have every right to complain.

But the second is your fault not theirs. Firstly you (well not you your friends) lost the parts, the pieces were complete when you got the game so its no their fault. There is a reason why they have to sell replacement parts, they arent free to make. plus why should you get them sent to your home for free? you lost the parts. $5.50 is quite reasonable, you have your spare pieces you want right there.

People really expect too much from business's today, its getting beyond rediculous!

The second part is my fault that is true. But as I said, not even $5.50 is enough to fix the problem. Then I still have to sit there and paint things and they won't match perfectly and I am paying for a bunch of parts I don't need. It would be more cost effective for both of us if I could pay a small premium for individual ALREADY PAINTED parts. That would be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lewis
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, this service is way worse than any I've ever experienced myself. Especially the idea of having to buy the replacement parts. In regards to the pieces for Starfarers, this isn't a new problem, and the fact that it's a high price tag game for Mayfair means they should have the response down to a speedy science at this point. For comparisons sake, I got a copy of Monsters Menace America ( Wizards/Avalon Hill) that had two of one playing piece and none of another, within 5 days I had an entire extra set of playing pieces. I realize Wizards has far more resources to deal with this kind of thing/eat the cost, but it's also worth noting that a single gamer's business means a hell of a lot less to Wizards than it does to Mayfair.

P.S. 5.50 for the parts you lost unpainted? That's straight profiteering. Especially since there's evidence in the option of buying a whole nother set that they have extra painted pieces sitting around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Your company is a disgrace to the hobby. Your customer service is a disgrace to humanity.

I dunno Barnes... based on what happyjosiah suffered through I'd say his comment above is about right. Mayfair is definitely right up there with other disgraces to humanity... like Sadam, Hitler, hungry old Idi Amin and the Al Franken-Rush Limbaugh tag team.

Plus, he is now going to give Mayfair their just deserts by never again giving them $90... seems fair to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Then I still have to sit there and paint things and they won't match perfectly

Paint the whole set, then they'll match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I can get replacement rings for my starfarers? How? Where? OMG that would be wonderful! we love the game but we have become so annoyed with our more or less completely snapped booster ring starships that we haven't played it in ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
Your company is a disgrace to the hobby. Your customer service is a disgrace to humanity.

I dunno Barnes... based on what happyjosiah suffered through I'd say his comment above is about right. Mayfair is definitely right up there with other disgraces to humanity... like Sadam, Hitler, hungry old Idi Amin and the Al Franken-Rush Limbaugh tag team.

Plus, he is now going to give Mayfair their just deserts by never again giving them $90... seems fair to me.

There is more than one way to treat people like crap. Killing is much much worse. But you can still be a nasty person without being a murderer. Humans deserve to be treated well by each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I received that type of service from a larger game company I would be pissed too. Offering replacement pieces seems like a must have service. Especially when the company charges above average prices for the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Plus, he is now going to give Mayfair their just deserts by never again giving them $90... seems fair to me

Yep...looks like the fabled "Mayfair Games Lamborghini Countach Christmas Bonus" for their staff is coming to an end thanks to Josiah. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
habermanm wrote:
If I received that type of service from a larger game company I would be pissed too. Offering replacement pieces seems like a must have service. Especially when the company charges above average prices for the games.

they did offer replacement parts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
habermanm wrote:

I always thought Mayfair charged below average prices. Most of them are in the $30 range. I've payed 50 to $90 for my last several games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Humans deserve to be treated well by each other.

Well.... except in the case of Al Franken and Rush Limbaugh... those two are pretty creepy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm, come to think of it, my Settlers game is missing a road too. Yet I've never wrote the company and I've never had a problem in playing the game because of 'that one confounded missing blue road'. If you're gonna be mad at anyone, get upset at your friend for losing the road in the first place. They'll probably tell you to get over it just like I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RKFade wrote:
habermanm wrote:

I always thought Mayfair charged below average prices. Most of them are in the $30 range. I've payed 50 to $90 for my last several games.

Well, if you're comparing Settlers and Dos Rios to BattleLore and TI3 then yeah, I guess they're cheap. If you are comparing apples to apples so to speak, then no, they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, that's another thing . . . who ever actually needs to USE every single road? It's a rare thing . . . if you ever actually need that road, I'd be amazed. Pull out a match and break the tip off in a crunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
sorewinner wrote:
Hmm, come to think of it, my Settlers game is missing a road too. Yet I've never wrote the company and I've never had a problem in playing the game because of 'that one confounded missing blue road'. If you're gonna be mad at anyone, get upset at your friend for losing the road in the first place. They'll probably tell you to get over it just like I am.

or if it was a decent friend they would fork out $5.50 or the $14 for you to get the replacement.

I remember i borrowed a friends ps2 game and while i was at someones house with 5 other people and it got scratched i tried to get him a replacement because everytime youd change the field it would freeze, but this wasnt the scratch it was meerly bad programming, which we later found out when i BOUGHT him a replacement game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
philewis wrote:
P.S. 5.50 for the parts you lost unpainted? That's straight profiteering.

I assume that the $5.50 was to cover the shipping/handling cost.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osama Bin Davis wrote:
habermanm wrote:

Offering a bag of unpainted roads is not replacement parts. How hard is it to set aside parts to send out. Maybe you guys have lowered expectations, but I rather like it when I lose a part, or a part is missing and the company says, sure send me a buck and I'll send you the part. Or better yet, you're parts in the mail.

The dude has every right to decide not to buy from them again if he values customer service. And I certainly don't think he deserves smart ass comments from peanut gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
habermanm wrote:
RKFade wrote:
habermanm wrote:

Well, if you're comparing Settlers and Dos Rios to BattleLore and TI3 then yeah, I guess they're cheap. If you are comparing apples to apples so to speak, then no, they are not.

What would you consider an average priced game? If $30-ish dollar Mayfair games are "above average prices" in your estimate then I must be really missing something when I go to the game store. Sure, there's all the crummy card games you can buy for 15 - 20 dollars but you're not actually factoring those in against high-quality strategic boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Abbajabba82 wrote:
I concur on their customer service. I bought the Settlers of Catan as a Christmas gift to myself and my wife and upon opening it I discovered that they left the entire sheet with the mountain tiles and all of the numbered chits out. I'm not sure how they could have missed that, but, nevertheless, I promptly emailed them to ask them to send the pieces and they did thankfully. The problem is that they must have sent them 3rd class or something because that was back on the 28th of Dec., they sent them on the 3rd, and I just received them yesterday. I understand they may be busy with these, but the very LEAST they could do as far as quality service goes, is recognize they seriously goofed and at least send the pieces priority mail. I know if I sold something to someone and forgot a critical component, I would ship it to them overnight. I just get the feeling that they don't care.

I concur that their service is poor and while I may purchase from them in the future, I pray that the dunce that packed my game doesn't pack any of my future purchases. Otherwise it will be another 2+ weeks before I actually get them.

its christmas time, everything takes 10 times longer! if you havent worked that out yet your a bit slow! and you got the parts so there isnt any problem, did you have to pay for them no, because they fucked up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
habermanm wrote:
Osama Bin Davis wrote:
habermanm wrote:

Offering a bag of unpainted roads is not replacement parts. How hard is it to set aside parts to send out. Maybe you guys have lowered expectations, but I rather like it when I lose a part, or a part is missing and the company says, sure send me a buck and I'll send you the part. Or better yet, you're parts in the mail.

The dude has every right to decide not to buy from them again if he values customer service. And I certainly don't think he deserves smart ass comments from peanut gallery.

of course he has every right not to buy anything from them again. What i am saying is that he expects too much. As i said he has every right to complain about the first part, but the second is his fault and he expects them to send him pieces for free.

Have you worked in retail? because if you had you would see all the dodgy things people try to pull off to get things free. im actually suprised they send things by people just emailing them saying that im missing some pieces, you could get alot of free games by doing this getting some friends each saying your missing certain parts. And im sure people do this, because people try to do anything to get stuff for free.

He lost parts and he was told he can purchase replacements if he doesnt like it he doesnt have to purchase anything from them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.