Subject: Automatic Maneuver & Multi-Stage Spacecraft rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luigi Mori
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Received yesterday my copy of Leaving Earth and played immediately with a couple of friends. Great game !

I have a really basic question for which I haven't been able to find an answer in the rule book:

I have a spacecraft on Earth with 2 Atlas and a mass 1 payload. During my turn may I light one Atlas to go suborbital and then immediately light the second Atals to go into Earth orbit ? If not, isn't the spacecraft doomed to fall back on Earth due to the automatic maneuver in the suborbital box ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use the second Atlas to get into Orbit.

Remember, you can do as many actions on your turn as you like. Automatic maneuvers (like falling back to Earth from Suborbital Flight) only happen at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Mori
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, then what we really didn't get is that you can also do the same action multiple times per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Remember, you can do as many actions on your turn as you like. Automatic maneuvers (like falling back to Earth from Suborbital Flight) only happen at the end of your turn.

Just realized, if I didn't misunderstood you here, that I have misunderstood the rules pretty completly:
Do automatic maneuvers happen at the end of one players turn or at the end of a year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn.
Pages 17 & 23.

Also, I now want to start using the phrase 'light one Atlas'. I love the imagery of some engineer torching a burn cord, then legging it for the bunker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tschichold wrote:
Thanks, then what we really didn't get is that you can also do the same action multiple times per turn.

Now this makes much more sense!

I was one of the "couple of friends" that played this yesterday.

I didn't gave this game a good rating and I explained why in my comment to the rating but I'll be happy to try this again to see if i can appreciate it more from a pure gaming point of view since the theme is so great and so beautifully rendered.

This rule of the immediate actions of falling down to earth after the turn really left us clueless about the meaning of the (5) to go from suborbital to orbit because we couldnt understand how to do that if you immediately have to fall down! Now this part is understood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tschichold wrote:

Luigi, I'm glad you explained what the problem was, because that's a misunderstanding I had never seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the confusion over when to execute automatic maneuvers might be mitigated if their resolution was moved to the End of Year sequence? Is there some game play advantage to having them as End of Player Turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having automatic maneuvers happen at the end of your turn means that no one else can rescue you, for one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and you can't have a spacecraft just hanging around in fly-by waiting to see what other players are going to do that round. You have to sh*t or get off the zero-g-toilet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Having automatic maneuvers happen at the end of your turn means that no one else can rescue you, for one thing.

I was thinking that if you had a willing and capable rescuer available you would just transfer the endangered spacecraft to them for the rescue so that you don't have a spacecraft in the automatic maneuver location at the end of your turn -- they do the rescue and transfer it back to you. But the rules do indicate "If a spacecraft is in a location with an automatic maneuver at the end of your turn, it performs that maneuver." I had initially interpreted that as any of your spacecraft, but applied here could could mean any spacecraft even one that isn't yours. But then if that were true what would happen if someone else completed their multi-year mission to a fly-by on the previous year and you were before them in turn order? Would it go away because it met the literal rule as written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
buffalohat wrote:

I was thinking that if you had a willing and capable rescuer available you would just transfer the endangered spacecraft to them for the rescue so that you don't have a spacecraft in the automatic maneuver location at the end of your turn -- they do the rescue and transfer it back to you. But the rules do indicate "If a spacecraft is in a location with an automatic maneuver at the end of your turn, it performs that maneuver." I had initially interpreted that as any of your spacecraft, but applied here could could mean any spacecraft even one that isn't yours. But then if that were true what would happen if someone else completed their multi-year mission to a fly-by on the previous year and you were before them in turn order? Would it go away because it met the literal rule as written?

Two points:
1) Your interpretation is correct -- the wording in the rulebook should be changed to read:
Quote:
If a spacecraft of yours is in a location with an automatic maneuver at the end of your turn, it performs that maneuver.

2) Giving away a spacecraft to another player so it doesn't have to perform an automatic maneuver is actually possible, though it feels really screwy. In practice, I have never seen anyone want to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
2) Giving away a spacecraft to another player so it doesn't have to perform an automatic maneuver is actually possible, though it feels really screwy. In practice, I have never seen anyone want to do this.

Giving away a spacecraft solely to avoid an automatic maneuver would be screwy -- particularly so in Sub Orbital Flight. Doing so in a non-Lunar Fly-By location would require exceptional circumstances as another spacecraft needs to have been sent duing a prior year in order to arrive at the same time. Even at Lunar Fly-By I don't see it as making sense for someone to offer a rescue: You built that petard, now hoist yourself on it! Although if it were a manned mission facing the loss of life and VP due to a misfired rocket, another rocket launched from from Earth on an intercept course by another agency -- while historically the stuff of dramatic science fiction -- doesn't seem implausible, although the price of the rescue would likely be the spacecraft and crew staying under the control of the rescuing agency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, giving away a spacecraft to avoid returning from Suborbital Flight is just bizarre -- things fall at the rate they fall at, who owns the thing makes no difference.

Mechanically, I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to do that particular one. If you're not ready to fire a second stage to get to orbit, you're not likely to be more ready to do so on a later turn of the same round. And if you fall back out of Suborbital Flight, there's no danger to your spacecraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.