Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what, there really is something to be said for knowing what game you are going to play in advance. Most of the time this is not possible, but when it is it makes sooooo much difference to your enjoyment of the first play. recently I have read up on a couple of games before we played them and it helped enormously in getting me up to speed with the game. the others had played already so it was just me. Without previous explanation all the learning happens at once, which is not as good as understanding then dawning understanding.

Anyway we didn't know we would be playing reef encounter and so the rules explanation was quite daunting. It was anounced as a speech, yet I think it was appropriate. Dave layed out the things we needed to know in the order we needed to know. It was a fairly decent job.

My alternative explanation would explain the pieces and definitions first interweaving the basic scoring mechanics. But then I like to begin at the end, and not everyone likes that.

This is a pollyps and the more of these that are in your box at the end the better. In order to get them into your box you must eat coral (with a shrimp atatched) which are collections of pollyps. The bigger the coral the more tiles go into box. Once consumed a shrimp is out of the game, hence you will get a maximum of four opportunities to put tiles into your box.

Subsequently I would explain that the number of points is dependant on the dominances and that they can be changed. Then I would start explaining how you play pollyps and the consumed tiles and thier role as currency. Ironically even explaining this makes the gaem clearer to me.

Anyway this was very much a learnign game and dave gave us good advice to learn. Naturally I missed all the details of the rules like how many lava cubes can be played and In fact I kindof wrecked the game at the end as a result. Still on the whole I think we grasped the tile consumption aspect and what we can do with them.

I still can't 'see' the game clearly but I think that is an aspect of the inital complexiety of the game, but I have grasped a number of strtegies that I could use and the importance of the currency of tiles in front of the player board.

The nature of complex games means that unless you grasp it you are inclined to turn off after your first game, but I am keen to play a second game at least and see if I can't catch the craze that is reef encounter. Certainly the recomendation of the Auckland brotherhood I ahve read so much about makes me want to push through. We shall see if Jason and Ludonauts choose to take this one on as a regular or not.

Dave did well introducing this to us, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
My alternative explanation would explain the pieces and definitions first interweaving the basic scoring mechanics. But then I like to begin at the end, and not everyone likes that.

Ummm, that's pretty much what I tried to do - I explained all the terminology first, and then explained how you win. Then I explained how you go about getting those tiles to win. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had forgotten how scoring works by the time I had finished explaining the rest. It was a lot to go over and you all did well to follow along. I appreciated the effort made by everyone.

Quote:
The nature of complex games means that unless you grasp it you are inclined to turn off after your first game, but I am keen to play a second game at least and see if I can't catch the craze that is reef encounter.

I certainly hope that you learn to appreciate it as I did. It took me several games before I realised how brilliant the game is. I sincerely hope you make the same discovery.

Quote:
Dave did well introducing this to us, thank you.

Thanks, and thank you for playing

[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A warm "Thank you!" for bringing out and explaning the game to us from me too! Despite all my ranting in the aftermath, I did enjoy playing the game and look forward to trying again. I might not be a real challenge to play against, but hope that won't keep you from introducing / explaining the heavier games to me.
Nice dice!
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go the dice, that is one mumma of a dice. Isuspect (being the type of person into one upsmanship) that I might have to get fuffy dice (a wee bit eefeminate) or an inflatable dice about the size of a chair. That would be some dice to roll indeed!

Come to think of it, that may be how you explained it but I didn't think that up till the end therefore suggested to myself that I would have doen it that way. Aha! In truth the best negotiators leave the other party thinking they came up with the idea you want. So in fact it was an even better explanation than I gave credit for.

The key outcome ofcourse is that I understand the mechanics of the game, which I do. Looking forward to the next one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
dice about the size of a chair

That would be AWESOME. I've seen dice the size of footrests before; I'm going to look into this. Then during the game I can rest my feet on them. Brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a 30-sided die the size of a chair...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.