Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
VASSAL suddenly can't find any of the modules or games in progress I had installed. Where are these located? Why would they suddenly have vanished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
VASSAL suddenly can't find any of the modules or games in progress I had installed. Where are these located? Why would they suddenly have vanished?

Did you just update Vassal? They may not be vanished at all - for me for some reason, when I start Vassal a fair number of mods I have don't show up in that first Vassal window; I have to click "File" and "Open Module", then open the folder where I save downloaded mods (cunningly named "Vassal modules") and pick the desired mod. Do you have such a folder?

If not, try downloading a mod and see where your computer automatically saves that - presumably your other mods should be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
You should ask these questions on the Vassal forum. If you are running linux, you can find the directory where the modules are installed in home/.VASSAL/prefs, file V_Global (textfile) entry modulesDir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

Did you just update Vassal? They may not be vanished at all - for me for some reason, when I start Vassal a fair number of mods I have don't show up in that first Vassal window; I have to click "File" and "Open Module", then open the folder where I save downloaded mods (cunningly named "Vassal modules") and pick the desired mod. Do you have such a folder?

If not, try downloading a mod and see where your computer automatically saves that - presumably your other mods should be there.

I named my vassal modules folder the EXACT same name!

Great minds think alike?

Blind squirrel finding an acorn?

I leave that to your judgment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to mention is, you should not keep your VASSAL modules in the same directory as the application itself: nowhere in the Program Files/Vassal/ directory. I know, it doesn't really make sense, but that's an admonishment I've heard from people who know about the weaker parts of the VASSAL code structure. This application does have its share of oddities, and this is one of them.

I've since gotten in the habit of creting a folder for each of my games in my Wargames hobby folder and placing vmods in there. Seems silly that I can't organize them in the program folder, mirroring how they appear in the selection menu.... but oh well, one doesn't always get what one wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
wifwendell wrote:
Did you just update Vassal?

No; but I did update my system since I last used VASSAL.

Running OS X (10.11.1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
avdtweel wrote:
You should ask these questions on the Vassal forum.

Couldn't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
avdtweel wrote:

Couldn't find it.

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Rindis wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
avdtweel wrote:

Couldn't find it.

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/

Ah. I thought you meant on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stiglr wrote:
Another thing to mention is, you should not keep your VASSAL modules in the same directory as the application itself: nowhere in the Program Files/Vassal/ directory. I know, it doesn't really make sense, but that's an admonishment I've heard from people who know about the weaker parts of the VASSAL code structure. This application does have its share of oddities, and this is one of them.

I've since gotten in the habit of creting a folder for each of my games in my Wargames hobby folder and placing vmods in there. Seems silly that I can't organize them in the program folder, mirroring how they appear in the selection menu.... but oh well, one doesn't always get what one wants.

You should not mix your own data with program files. This goes for every program, not just VASSAL. Not only does it invite permissions problems (e.g., if you're using Windows, because Windows does not expect user data to live in C:\Program Files), but it hinders backups, recovery, and troubleshooting. Keep your own data in your user directory. That's what it's for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.