Han (60)
PTL
C3PO
Luke
Millennium Falcon.

So far it has defeated my:
RAC (Palpy on board) + Vader
Omicron (Palpy) + Soontir + Carnor
Brobots (advanced sensors, PTL, HLC/Mangler, Autothrusters)

Miranda is a real pain to pin down under fire, since she can SLAM when in trouble, and next turn regen one shield and still perform 2-3 attacks per turn from which 2 have good chances to hit. Han is... well, you all know Han and what a pain in the ass he can be.

So far I've been close to taking the Falcon down twice (1-2 hull left), but in the end Miranda was unscathed and my squad in flames.

The decimator fell quickest, under focused fire from the duo, and then Vader was easy meat. With the Emperor shuttle, the Aces went down pretty quickly, due to the sheer number of attacks per turn (2 attacks + rerolls from Han, 2-3 attacks from Miranda) and then it was just chasing the poor shuttle to its doom. The Brobots were again betrayed by the green dice, despite their Autothrusters (and, to be honest, by some bad flying from my side - they're not easy to squeeze through asteroids).

Of course, with some exquisite flying and a considerable amount of luck, this can be beaten as well. But how to do it without relying on sheer luck? It's very unlikely that they will miss a target they set their eyes on, especially when they stick together. So stealth devices are near worthless, and autothrusters I found them to be very unreliable.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife's list is designed to kill list with few ships that rely on either high agility or high health to survive. She misses, but keeps shooting or she hits and kills things quickly. The real solution is to overwhelm her with lots of ships:

Things like BBBBZ, 4 X-wings, Y-wings with BTL-A4. Or beat her at her own game and try 4-TLT Y-wings. Basically you need a lot of ships so that even when she focuses down one, there are still 3-4 left to keep fighting. Also being able to lay a lot of fire back into her helps.

I realize most of the ships I listed are Rebel, but you can also try a classic TIE swarm or do an elite ace with a mini-swarm.

My friend used to play a great list with Ten Numb and 5x Z-95s. That gave Han nightmares due to taking shots from 6 ships each turn and an unblockable crit from Ten Numb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say for sure from your post... but "regen one shield and still perform 2-3 attacks" sounds like you might be playing Gunner wrong. If Miranda uses her gunner she may not take any more shots per the Gunner card. So if she misses the regen shot and gunners then there is no second TLT shot.

Otherwise I agree with Swampy. Outnumbering builds like that are a big benefit. I might not abandon Bro-Bots... or 1 Aggressor with support either. Green dice hate us all, but a couple ships with autothrusters with a few more ships to eat up shots and concentrate fire should work if you give it some more chances.

Good luck finding something you like to fly that works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hooray. Turrets and swarms are dominating the game again. Fun. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st shot - tlt
2nd shot - tlt + regen, which helps a potential miss
3rd shot - if second shot missed, primary weapon attack.

Gunner works fine, you just don't use it until the second tlt shot (which should usually be your regen shot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
burningecho wrote:
Hooray. Turrets and swarms are dominating the game again. Fun. shake

Thankfully you probably don't have to join that guy and his wife's metagame.

Though, maybe they're into that sort of thing . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im not sure how you can call autothrusters unreliable?
their effect is automatic, so either you are not flying your ships to make use of them or forgetting to apply the effect. certainly against turrets they should see plenty of use when they fire outside of their printed fire arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silt44 wrote:
1st shot - tlt
2nd shot - tlt + regen, which helps a potential miss
3rd shot - if second shot missed, primary weapon attack.

Gunner works fine, you just don't use it until the second tlt shot (which should usually be your regen shot).

That makes sense. I read it as "Regen shot followed by 2-3 more shots" so just thought it best to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
im not sure how you can call autothrusters unreliable?
their effect is automatic, so either you are not flying your ships to make use of them or forgetting to apply the effect. certainly against turrets they should see plenty of use when they fire outside of their printed fire arc.

Sootnir Fel has turtles up and is being attacked by a TLT with gunner. First shot Fel rolls blank, blank focus against three hits for the TLT. Fel spends a focus and evade and autothrusters flips a blank to evade to be safe. Second attack is one natural hit. Fel rolls a natural evade and is safe. Gunner triggers and Miranda uses her ability to roll three dice. Hit, hit crit. Fel rolls a focus, evade and blank, spends focus to be safe. Fel is out of tokens and for some reason Han is attacking last. Fel is now relying on rolling evades and only one blank to survive Hand attack(s). Autothrusters can be great, but they rely on help from the right dice rolls and tokens on te defenders. Not all of those things are garuanteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swap out Luke for Kyle Katarn. With PTL, you should be able to Target Lock/Focus/Evade every turn.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Swap out Luke for Kyle Katarn. With PTL, you should be able to Target Lock/Focus/Evade every turn.

-shnar

I don't think the goal was to make the list he can't beat better... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irinel Alban
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, guys...
Somehow I was misusing autothrusters: instead of reading "turn 1 blank into an evade", I was rerolling one blank. Stupid me... But even so, chances are that Fel will exhaust his tokens and fail to roll enough greens under focused fire, as someone pointed above. Anyway, with the correct understanding of autothrusters, I should have a better chance.

Regarding the improper use of Gunner, I think this was explained by someone earlier in the thread.

Swarms indeed can be the answer, the only thing is that I hate flying swarms (forgot to mention it in the beginning )

As for "this guy and his wife's metagame", maybe I didn't make myself clear: it's not a meta for us. We like trying new squads each time we play, so normally she wouldn't just stick to those guys (if any, her favorite is Ten Numb - and B's in general). Moreover, 99% of the time we play Epic, just for the fun (300-450 points per team, 6 players, the kind of game where positioning is not that important since always there will be a guy who can take a shot at you, and where swarms are almost useless, since it's almost impossible to keep formation and they're eaten alive by aces). Just that today is our first tournament and we were practicing some lists that we would like to take there, and I was just wondering how can I take that list down.

For example, she tried playing a B mini-swarm in our practice runs for this tournament, and was eaten alive by Palpy, Vader and Fel (without me losing a single ship, due to constantly being out of her arcs)

Anyway, loving this game and I really think it's not a meta but rather a rock-paper-scissors, just that the rock seems to be more popular nowadays

Thanks for the nice ideas, and keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irinel Alban
msg tools
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Well, she has Han, so Target Lock is almost wasted (yes, I know about the possibility of choosing your re-roll dice in case of TL, but I think Gunner/Luke are more potent options in this case)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryo wrote:
... just that the rock seems to be more popular nowadays

They've always been popular even in the days of TIE swarm ascendency and Phantom menaces. Makes sense too. They're tough to crack and easy to fly.

I still think Soontir is a solid Miranda hunter. He can get at range 1 and should be able to either stick there to deny TLTs or force her to SLAM and not shoot. She shouldn't have shields to spend for attack boosts in that situation very long either.

Otherwise since you don't like swarms have you considered something tough to chew through like a Defender? Sure they're expensive but they survive against two gun lists longer than most other Imperial ships and have solid damage output. I had some success locally with Brath, Soontir and a Saber Interceptor until I ran into Mangler Ten Numb paired with Fat Chewie. The little interceptor was usually my MVP since nobody ever tried to shoot him until the other ships were dead.

Good luck at your tournament!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryo wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Well, she has Han, so Target Lock is almost wasted (yes, I know about the possibility of choosing your re-roll dice in case of TL, but I think Gunner/Luke are more potent options in this case)

Being able to Focus and Target Lock every turn is much more powerful than rerolling a failed attack. Though, having Luke with Han is always a fun theme, so I can't blame her for wanting it

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
kryo wrote:
... just that the rock seems to be more popular nowadays

They've always been popular even in the days of TIE swarm ascendency and Phantom menaces. Makes sense too. They're tough to crack and easy to fly.

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Brobots (B+C) armed with Autothrusters and...... Autoblasters. Probably Marksmanship and Fire Control System, or PtL and Advanced Sensors. Focus fire on Han, you'll burn him down in about 2-3 rounds. In that same time, you're looking at probably 10 points of damage from your opponent if you're unlucky. Then you can crush Miranda by staying inside her donut, even if you've only got one ship left.

#theorycrafting
#havenotflowninmonths
#grainofsalt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miranda doesn't actually have a donut, per se. She can always NOT use the TLT, which means you're facing a 3 dice attack at range one that can now score crits and do more than one damage.

Dash only has a donut because the title eliminates his primary weapon. Miranda can do pretty well with hers, especially if she has some shields to spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.