Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Special "Reminder" tokens for ships and upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of having a reminder token for a ship ability or a captain ability or an upgrade ability is a good one. However I now have a LOT of these things and it's kind of gotten out of hand, especially when so many of them have the same markings.

Wouldn't it be better for those reminders which are not unique -- which are just +X Attack dice or +X defense dice -- to just have a set of +1, +2, +3, etc attack and defense dice that could be used for any talent which has that effect? In other words a set of generic reminder tokens which work with any applicable talent. Then for the ones that have different specific effects give THEM their own token?

It's also a potential money maker for WK. They could give us some generic tokens with these markings in acrylic which would look good on the board and be durable and easy to store.

Or am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea? Doesn't anyone but me actually try to use the tokens? I'll confess I'm older and the memory jog is useful since this can be a pretty complex game to play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The problem I have is that even with two big Plano boxes, I'm running out of spaces to put all of the tokens and still keep them separate. I end up dumping all of the reminder tokens into the same compartment and then I have to hunt through the pile before playing. I think your idea has merit. The only other thing I've thought of is that as I sleeve my cards, I've thought of just slipping the token for a specific character or ship into the sleeve along with the card. That's not perfect either, though, as they can fall out in between plays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Liedtka
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I use the Borg drone counters as number counters and make a list referencing which ability matches it's number.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the reminder tokens were an interesting idea for new players, but I have yet to meet someone who actually uses them. I don't even keep mine with my game supplies, they are in a bag in a closet somewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never use them... So many tokens on the table to think about as it is...

At one point in a game we had a "Target Lock" amnesty as somewhere in the region of 5-6 sets of TL tokens were piled around a couple of ships in the RIF3 scenario where we were all bunched in one corner of the map... Sometimes I do hate all the tokens!!

On a slight side note, I've decided to start using the "Command Tokens" as substitutes for my normal action tokens... Trying to mix it up a little!!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I store all the unique tokens in the same Plano box compartment as its ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
pedro_ak wrote:
I never use them... So many tokens on the table to think about as it is...

At one point in a game we had a "Target Lock" amnesty as somewhere in the region of 5-6 sets of TL tokens were piled around a couple of ships in the RIF3 scenario where we were all bunched in one corner of the map... Sometimes I do hate all the tokens!!

On a slight side note, I've decided to start using the "Command Tokens" as substitutes for my normal action tokens... Trying to mix it up a little!!



Because of some of the issues with that many tokens on the table, we came up with a few conventions. The simplest was that of there is only one opposing ship left, we don't put the red TL tokens down. That solo ship also doesn't bother with a blue TL. It just puts a red one by the targeted ship. It is a minor detail that helps.

Second trick: stick your blue TL in the rear slot on the ship base where the second captain icon is supposed to go. XWIng players do this all the time. It gets all of the blue TL off the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McDougall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

Second trick: stick your blue TL in the rear slot on the ship base where the second captain icon is supposed to go. XWIng players do this all the time. It gets all of the blue TL off the table.


WOW.... This is a fantastic suggestion
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:

Wouldn't it be better for those reminders which are not unique -- which are just +X Attack dice or +X defense dice -- to just have a set of +1, +2, +3, etc attack and defense dice that could be used for any talent which has that effect? In other words a set of generic reminder tokens which work with any applicable talent. Then for the ones that have different specific effects give THEM their own token?

Or am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea? Doesn't anyone but me actually try to use the tokens? I'll confess I'm older and the memory jog is useful since this can be a pretty complex game to play.


As someone who uses all kinds of tokens, even the critical hit tokens, I like that idea very much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K
msg tools
mb
I used one for the first time today, for Stalking Mode, mainly to remember the reduction in captain skill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.