Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Meteor is the best 5 minute game on the market. I'm also assuming it is the only 5 minute game on the market. I thought this was going to be a game I hated. Instead, it ended up being a very fun light game. Normally, I don't like timed games. They irritate me. But this one works for me.

If you play this game, you cannot judge for your first three games. Maybe five. You have to play through at least once with the starter rules which is all meteor cards are face up and you can talk. This will help you learn the game as it is timed so there isn't a lot of time to learn the game and still have a shot at winning. More importantly, it will allow you and the other players to work out the kinks of how to play and the powers of a lot of the cards. This was super helpful.

Some games are easier to win with some luck, some good powers, and some skill. This is about all you could ask for from a 5 minute game. This may be the ultimate game to play while waiting on your buddies to show up. It is quick, packs enough punch and should be fun. Sometimes, things just go wrong.

The biggest flaw of the game is trying to learn what all of these cards do. It is a learning curve. We would just turn the timer sideways so time stopped and looked up what the icons meant. This worked fine with out group and it should for yours. Otherwise, I didn't have a lot of complaints.

This game isn't going to break down any gaming barriers. It is a simple race to play cards within a rule set game. The timer keeps you on your toes and you have to be really careful with which meteors you are blowing up. The game has enough decisions where you can't do everything and you have to make snap decisions due to the timer not stopping, but not too much to over do it. Even if you don't like timed games, please give this game a chance. It may just surprise you.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are really nice. The game comes with 5 timers which are fairly easy to use. You get a on of cards all with good enough cartoon art work on them and are pretty durable. I'm not crazy about the use of icons and there are a lot of them, but after a few games they shouldn't give you any trouble. The game last exactly 5 minutes after all. Otherwise, the components are top notch.

Rule Book:

The rules are pretty crystal clear. There is a second book that list all the powers and there are a lot of them. To learn to play the same is simple and might take 2-3 minutes. To learn all the powers you just have to play the game through a few times. I wish they had used words and not icons, but I guess they wanted to make it language independent.

Flow of the Game:

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game is to destroy 5 meteors before any of them smash into Earth.

How it plays:

Players play in real time for the length of 5 minutes only. There are no turns and everyone plays at the same time. You will play cards to build rockets and fuel those rockets to destroy the meteors.

Explanation of the Game: This is not going to be a rules overview. I am going to attempt to explain the flow of the game.

1. There are 5 timers that are used to be each of the altitudes of the meteors falling.

2. Players will have a number of cards in their hands based on the number of players. These cards allow you to do one of the three things:

A. Play an action card - this will either give you a one time power or an ongoing power

B. Retrofit - which basically allows you to ditch cards you don't need/want to draw new cards (requires 4 of a kind or 4 different ones)

C. Build a rocket to destroy a meteor - this normally requires a rocket and then fuel of a certain type to power it

3. As players play cards they can launch a rocket when they are ready. Multiple rockets can be launched at the same time to make a stronger weapon.

4. Each of the meteors are different values which represent what power of rocket will kill it. If you rocket is less than then you discard the rocket. If it is equal, you destroy the meteor and the rocket. If the rocket is more powerful, then you discard the rocket and the meteor but you drop an altitude. So you really need to be exact if possible.

5. There are advanced rules where you get harder meteors, special powers, and something that hurts you in some way.

6. An important rule is there is no talking at the table (unless you play a special card)

Should I buy this game?:

This game is a hidden gem. This is a great, quick game that plays for nearly anyone. This is light enough for nearly anyone to play. The powers are going to be tricky, but I would guess if you were playing with non-gamers you could just play without them. Otherwise, a great opening game that might be played more than you think.

Keeper.

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. The images you posted are from the prototype copy of the game, and not from the final game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this in my group and we didn't quite get it the first go round. We got something significant wrong, I forget what.

We tried it again and got everything right and liked it better, but it just didn't click with my group.

I almost liked it - it just dipped slightly below my "keeper" point so I never bought a copy.

I did think it had promise and might try it again someday. Perhaps if we had gotten it right on the first try my group would have been more enthusiastic about it?

I am not a real-time game fan, so that is one strike against it for me personally ... I hate playing frantically and flipping sand timers, but it just about works in this game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Thanks for the review. The images you posted are from the prototype copy of the game, and not from the final game.

I suck is the only reason I have. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
We played this in my group and we didn't quite get it the first go round. We got something significant wrong, I forget what.

We tried it again and got everything right and liked it better, but it just didn't click with my group.

I almost liked it - it just dipped slightly below my "keeper" point so I never bought a copy.

I did think it had promise and might try it again someday. Perhaps if we had gotten it right on the first try my group would have been more enthusiastic about it?

I am not a real-time game fan, so that is one strike against it for me personally ... I hate playing frantically and flipping sand timers, but it just about works in this game....

I couldn't agree more except we liked it. I don't know how much play it will get because it is a lot to download for a 5 minute game. Otherwise, I liked it enough. Being 5 minutes is a huge plus with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Buggy wrote:

No you don't.

There just aren't that many pictures of the published version on the geek, so it isn't like you had a good selection to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
william4192 wrote:
Buggy wrote:

No you don't.

There just aren't that many pictures of the published version on the geek, so it isn't like you had a good selection to choose from.

I thought the same thing. I was a little confused why the publisher isn't putting more on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

I thought the same thing. I was a little confused why the publisher isn't putting more on here.

I'd do it myself, but (a) it seems kinda bad form and (b) nearly every picture I post to the geek is rejected as blurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spurred on by your review, Mayday Games uploaded some component pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.