Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm going to ask for a shorter 4-player scenario, it only seems fair that I post my first cut at one. This starts in Round 6, assuming that the Brigs and Welsh submitted to the Romans, while the Picts took a beating but held on to the highlands. I've also given footholds to the Irish and Scots, and put the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons in their historical areas. I've never played a full game of Brit, so I'm not sure if any of these placements lead to ugly slaughters.

What this scenario needs are average scores after round 5 (someone has a database, right?); each player starts with that average. Play continues to the end of the game (Round 16), adding to the Round 5 averages normally. Starting positions are as follows:

Note: The following starting positions are pretty horrible... I proposed it two years ago before I'd played a full game. A much better version is posted about six messages down the thread

Vacant (4): Dunedin, Lindsey, Lothian, Bernicia
R/B (8): Downlands, Avalon, Hwicce, N. Mercia, S. Mercia, March, Cheshire, York, Can't attack Brigs, or Welsh
Belgae: Extinct
Welsh (7 in 5 territories): Gwynethx2, Dyfedx2, Clywd, Gwent, Powys
Brigs(5 in 3 territories): Pennines, Cumbriax2, Gallowayx2
Caledonians (3): Orkneys, Hebrides, Caithness
Picts (4): Mar, Alban, Moray, Skye
Irish (2): Cornwall, Devon
Scots (2): Dalriada, Strathclyde
Jutes (2 in 1 territory): Kentx2
Saxons (3): Wessex, Sussex, Essex
Angles (3 in 2 territories): Norfolk, Suffolkx2

This is just a first cut, and I'm looking for suggestions and feedback on this one. Average scores after Round V are also needed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:

What this scenario needs are average scores after round 5 (someone has a database, right?); each player starts with that average. Play continues to the end of the game (Round 16), adding to the Round 5 averages normally. Starting positions are as follows:

Round 5 scores from 29 October database (there may be a newer one but won't differ much):

Yellow 125.5
Green 38.5
Red 31
Blue 47.5

A good idea to give average scores up to that time, the drawback is that yellow misses out on a lot of his fun.

Lew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any of the starting positions above stand out to you as unfair or unrealistic? The three main points I worried about were whether the Irish are likely to have taken both Devon & Cornwall, whether the Brigs should have more armies, and whether the Angles should have landed further north rather than joining the brawl in the south.

I figured that the first two items probably cancel out, but i'm curious what y'all think

Thanks for the help, Lew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Caledonians would probably have two more armies.

In this version of the game, the Irish rarely take both Dev and Cornwall, or if they do it is with Saxon help in rounds later than 5. Some Romans try to retain Devon as a stronghold for the R-Bs. So there might be an R-B in Devon instead of an Irishman, but maybe 2 Irish in Cornwall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4-player scenario starting with Round 6. It also ends with round XIII. Whether or not it is balanced needs testing, but it seems right on a first run-through on my own.

Now, I started with the position given in the rulebook for the Short 3-Player Scenario. Which may not be realistic, but at least it is offical. Same rules as for that: the Romano-British may not attack anyone in round 6.

I then divided the nations as follows.

Player 1:
The Saxons, The Caledonians, The Dubliners.

Player 2: The Danes, The Scots, The Romano-British, The Irish (which may explain what the Irish are doing in Cornwall!)

Player 3: The Angles and the Picts.

Player 4: The Welsh, the Brigantes, The Jutes, The Norse.

In the playtest player 3 scored highest, despite having fewest nations. In this scenario the Jutes are likely to score 0, unless Player 4 and Player 1 can strike a deal (which might include some common Irish policy).

Note: If this is balanced, playing to round XVI creates a horrible problem, because the two new Nations are big points scorers and so will unabalance this set-up wherever you put them. The 'playtest' above was actually a playtest of a VI-XVI game with Player 3 having the Normans and Player 4 the Norwegians, but I kept the scores at round XIII...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barrett
United Kingdom
St Neots
cambs
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Round 5 scores from 29 October database (there may be a newer one but won't differ much):

Yellow 125.5
Green 38.5
Red 31
Blue 47.5
Anybody got any feedback, plan to try this out Tuesday night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the suggested set-ups don't necessarily make a lot of sense based on how turns 1-5 seem to play out.

dr.mrow wrote:
Vacant (4): Dunedin, Lindsey, Lothian, Bernicia

It would strike me as a bit odd that Dunedin and Lindsey would be vacant. Why wouldn't the Picts Be in Dunedin at the end of Turn 5? With the 4 armies you've assigned them, they'd have an OK shot at a Roman fort or vacant area there. Lindsey normally has either a Roman Fort or the Belgae in there, though that's not as big a deal given that the RB move early. I'd be tempted to either assign the Picts another army and put it in Dunedin or shift the one you gave them in Mar to there for pop growth purposes.

Quote:
Brigs(5 in 3 territories): Pennines, Cumbriax2, Gallowayx2

This is another bit of a disconnect. Why wouldn't the Brigantes be in Strathclyde (you've assigned it to the Scots)? Given the Scottish landing restrictions, you'd assume that the Scots took it from the Brigantes to get to your setup, but the Brigantes could overload there without too much fear. 3-1-1 or something like that.

Quote:
Caledonians (3): Orkneys, Hebrides, Caithness

Lew pointed out that this pop seems low. I'd agree.

Quote:
Irish (2): Cornwall, Devon

Rare that they'd get both of these. By turn 6, there would have been a total of 4 Irish armies on the map, so with those three armies, they've won battles against the Welsh or Roman forts in highlands twice? Long odds there. I'd either assign Cornwall to the Welsh or leave it empty, and move both Irish armies to Devon.

Quote:
Scots (2): Dalriada, Strathclyde

I'd put these at sea. Again, long odd on attacks in turns 1-5 for the Highland. I'd also think a Scottish player that landed in a clear area turn 5 was asking for trouble - not a lot of armies coming on for the invasion in the first place and moving after all the folks that hate them.

Quote:
Angles (3 in 2 territories): Norfolk, Suffolkx2

Why so far south? Make more sense (from an Angle perspective) to land in Lothian and Bernicia (same points as Norfolk/Suffolk in T5) and gets them out of the way of the RB and Saxon major invasion. Or more out of the way, anyway.

My thoughts, anyway. Hope it's helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get back to my short scenarios and try them with the two-dice-per-army, two-hits-to-kill method (used in the "two hour" version). That reduces the standard deviation of combat enough to maybe compensate for the shorter scenario.

Anyway, I may now be able to get some things onto the FFG Web site, which I haven't been able to since 2007. FFG is definitely not interested in any other Britannia-like game; if I promote this one a little better on their site, it might help sales a little, and when this printing is sold out, maybe they'll take on "Brit 3".

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazzer52 wrote:
Anybody got any feedback, plan to try this out Tuesday night

Well, I made the original post a couple years ago after playing the short scenarios in the rulebook, but before I had actually played a full game. The initial positions are, in fact, pretty awful as a simulation of the end of Roman age.

However, since I'm guessing you haven't played a full game before, it doesn't have to be perfect to be fun. Here's another cut at it:

R/B (8): Downlands, Avalon, Hwicce, N. Mercia, S. Mercia, March, Cheshire, York, Can't attack Brigs, Picts or Welsh
Belgae: Extinct
Welsh (9): Gwynethx2, Dyfedx2, Clywd, Gwentx2, Powysx2
Brigs (6): Strathclyde x2, Cumbriax2, Gallowayx2
Caledonians (5): Orkneys, Hebrides x2, Caithness x2
Picts (7): Mar, Alban x2, Moray x2, Skye x2
Irish (2): Cornwall x2
Scots (2): Dalriada x2
Jutes (2): Kent x2
Saxons (4): Wessex x2, Sussex x2
Angles (4): Lothian x2, Bernicia x2

Per Lew's post above, starting scores are:
Yellow 126
Green 39
Red 31
Blue 48

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a much better alignment for a shortened game, if you ask me.

Didn't realize the first post was so old - the subscription to the game popped the thread for the first time for me due to the new activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.