Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing we have found in Buffy games is that an awful lot of vampires tend to wind up dead by being out in the day and getting surrounded by good characters so they can't move. This makes it very risky to ever move a vampire outdoors. To fix this we implemented a rule that characters may move through opposing characters, but the character being moved through may make a free attack on the the moving character.
We also found that weapons that add a constant amount to damage are awfully nasty. Therefore, we play that if an attack roll comes up all blanks (really blanks - stakes and fangs aren't blank even though they do no damage) you don't get to add the weapon damage either.

We've found these two rules to be good additions to the basic game. We also have tried a couple of rules to give things a little more variety and make it a little more like the show. These are:
Missile weapons (rocket launcher, crossbow) may be used to attack an enemy that's up to 3 squares away in a straight clear line.
Drusila can forsee things. When she moves on an evil space, instead of drawing a card you may make a magic roll for her and look at a number of cards, either face down or on the top of draw decks equal to the number of hits she scores.
Darla had her big fight packing guns, so she can attack up to 3 squares away (like missile weapons above).
Veruka and Kathy look like normal people to start. Until they attack someone or Veruka turns into a werewolf, the good player is not allowed to attack them. The good player move move through them, and they may use the chance for a free attack as described above, which will reveal them.
Spike gets chipped. If Spike is eliminated, roll a magic die. On a hit, return him to play at full health on his start space. Either side may move Spike instead of one of their normal moves, and he does not prevent evil from having another pawn of his color. He may draw evil cards when moved by the evil player, and may attack evil characters when moved by the good player, but may not attack good characters or draw good cards. Any character can attack him. (Poor Spike).

Keeping everyone in the game - if a good player is eliminated, (unless its Buffy and evil wins), at any later point another player may miss their turn and discard a Help card to bring that character into play for the other player to use. The character has the following stats and can use one card of the type listed below. Note that the evil player doesn't have to wipe out these minor characters to win; just all the main characters. Any minor character has 5 health at full and is wounded at 3 health.
Character - Fight - Magic - Card
Riley, Kendra, Faith or Angel - F2 - M0 - Weapon Card
Giles or Tara - F1 - M2 - Research Card
Anyone else - F1 - M1 - 1 card of any kind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A few simple Buffy house rules
StormKnight (#19649),
That's an interesting problem you've been having with the vampires being trapped. It hasn't been a problem with us, I think for four reasons:

1. The evil player has Eclipse cards
2. The evil player tries to keep vampires out of narrow alleys when day is approaching, and if the vampires are out in more open areas,
3. It seems expensive to use more than two characters to hold a vampire until daylight, since the good characters are vulnerable and have other things to do, and especially because,
4. The evil player can replace eliminated minions (though we play that each minion can only be successfully summoned once in a game).

When I'm the good guys, I usually try to avoid the minions, since the goal is to kill the villain. It's intriguing, though, that different styles of play will arise in different game groups for no other reason than that the groups are different. If vampire mortality becomes more of an issue for us, though, I will definitely refer again to your article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A few simple Buffy house rules
Curtis Anderson (#19709),
It is interesting how different games play for different people! If its not a problem for you, certainly no need to complicate the game. We just didn't like the "no escape" situations...it occasionally happens for good character to, who get penned in a corner and have no way of escaping except by toasting their attacker...since Buffy characters (both good and bad) run away quite often, that just seemed wrong to us! We may have overreacted on the sun thing, but in an early game the Master happened to step outside, got surrounded, and due to a series of moons on the move dice went poof while barely being hurt.
As a side note, all the rules I mentioned but the first two are not for game balance or anything, but are just silly fun stuff to give the game more personality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik C
United States
California
flag msg tools
One thing i discovered in about a dozen plays with different players is strangly Evil win 90% of the time (no matter WHO is playing Evil) and Oz can't stay out of werewolf form for more then 2 turns, discarding most of his stuff.

So i created a few house rules to give good a edge, and just to make the game more fun.

The Spell of Soul Restoration: Normally it can only restore sired players (Buffy, Willow, Xander) or Angel. I made a small modifcation that it can restore the soul to any Vampire pawn or Oz. (still working out if there are exceptions. It doesn't work on Veruka because she is "naturally evil," so even with a soul she is still bad, and of course Bosses are immune, can you imagine turning The Master good?)
Oz still looses all his cards when wolfing out but he can attack evil players instead of being forced to fight good players.
A good vampire, (like Spike in one game) frees up Evil to summon a replacement pawn if they have the right card, otherwise it's the same as if you had used it on Angelus.

the sire a vampire card pulls double duty as Sire a werewolf (if used by Veruka). And i'm trying to figure out how it could also work as "demon possession." As a counter balance good can role a movement die each turn after they are "sired" to fight the evil and fight for good.

In campaigns where the victory condition is "sire or destroy all good players" we ran into a scenario where only Oz was left (the other 3 having been sired) the rule i declared was "you have until Oz turns to use Soul restoration to restore one of the players, otherwise Evil wins when Oz turns"

And as a bit of a joke as one of my players asked it when Oz and Veruka were both werewolves and a single space away (and now in our current game their adjacent to each other!)
Werewolves can mate with each other but this prevents any other action by Oz, and on the succeeding Evil turn Veruka reserves a evil move (even before the black die is cast), has to roll the move dice as normal for the moon phase but can not act (as she is mating with Oz)

Lastly if Adam gets the Power Chip artifact, instead of the "move Adam if 3 small flames are rolled" i just said "evil can move everyone"

Just a few simple rules but i think they work nicely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.