16 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob renown and particiaption questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Does a Renown character earn a power token even if he is the defending character and wins the challenge against the attacker?

2)If the defending character wins a challenge does that trigger a participate "win" condition for card effects? Or do you always have to win the challenge as the attacker?

I know the defender doesn't get claim but didn't know about the other stuff

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
Garstig wrote:
1)Does a Renown character earn a power token even if he is the defending character and wins the challenge against the attacker?

2)If the defending character wins a challenge does that trigger a participate "win" condition for card effects? Or do you always have to win the challenge as the attacker?

I know the defender doesn't get claim but didn't know about the other stuff

Thanks

You can win a challenge as the attacker or the defender. Currently, the only challenge resolution keywords (pillage, insight, renown, intimidate) that doesn't work on defence explicitly says so: Intimidate. You do, in fact, claim power for renown if you win on defense.

As for 'win' conditions, yes, you meet those too. You'll notice a lot of win conditions specify 'as the attacker' (e.g. Put to the Sword), but any that don't can be used on defense.

The following things don't happen when you win on defense: Claim, Unopposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where, in the rules, does it say the defender gets anything for successfully defending a challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Page 16: Note the difference between Intimidate and the other Keywords.

Insight: After you win a challenge in which this character is participating, you may draw 1 card.

Intimidate: After you win a challenge in which you control one or more attacking characters with intimidate, you may choose and kneel a character, controlled by the losing opponent, with a STR equal to or lower than the amount of STR by which the challenge was won. No more than one character can be knelt by intimidate per challenge.

Pillage: After you win a challenge in which this character is participating, you may discard 1 card from the top of the losing opponent’s deck.

Renown: After you win a challenge in which this character is participating, you may gain 1 power on this character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

aphynes wrote:
You can win a challenge as the attacker or the defender.

For all who are interested, here's the references:

Learn To Play, Page 10 (left column)
and,
Rules Reference, Page 23, "Winning a Challenge"
and,
Rules Reference, Page 28, Challenge Phase, Step 4.2.2 (bottom left corner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the specific information in the rule book about winning challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks man! It looks like it's a common rookie misunderstanding. I was aggravating my wife with all my renown guys. Good thing to know I was right. And I'll make sure she knows it lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I commonly see newbies play wrong is the plot A Game of Thrones.
It says you must win an intrigue challenge before declaring other challenge types. Even in this case, winning on defense counts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
It says you must win an intrigue challenge before declaring other challenge types. Even in this case, winning on defense counts!

Hmm your right, we played that you had to win an intrigue challenge on your turn. So if it's a win thT round I expect that card is pretty crappy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

abodi wrote:
So if it's a win thT round I expect that card is pretty crappy

Please, follow through on your thought... how so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
abodi wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

Hmm your right, we played that you had to win an intrigue challenge on your turn. So if it's a win thT round I expect that card is pretty crappy

I dunno... I think a good Lanni deck likes A Game of Thrones plot. Right? Or any deck that runs decent Intrigue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Donnelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have another question about Renown.

My girlfriend and I can't find a definitive way to settle this while playing:

She initiates a military challenge against me with Rattleshirt's Raiders and Jaime Lannister. Jaime has Milk of the Poppy. She wins the challenge and with Rattlshirt's Raiders removes Milk of the Poppy. She then wants to claim 1 power for Renown for Jaime. I object saying that he did not have Renown while participating in the challenge. She insists that all that matters is he participated and that Milk of the Poppy was removed in time.

Can anyone provide a definitive resolution?

Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
saxbend wrote:

She initiates a military challenge against me with Rattleshirt's Raiders and Jaime Lannister. Jaime has Milk of the Poppy. She wins the challenge and with Rattlshirt's Raiders removes Milk of the Poppy. She then wants to claim 1 power for Renown for Jaime. I object saying that he did not have Renown while participating in the challenge. She insists that all that matters is he participated and that Milk of the Poppy was removed in time.

Thanks very much!

She is correct. Rattleshirt's Raiders' reaction can be triggered as soon as the challenge is won. Jaime's text is no longer blank as soon as Milk of the Poppy is removed. Collecting power for renown happens at the end of the DUCK sequence that every Thrones player should remember:

D - Determine who won the challenge (this where Reactions to winning or losing would occur)
U - Unopposed (reward unopposed bonus if applicable)
C - Claim (Apply claim)
K - Keywords (Trigger keywords)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Donnelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
sdrewthomson wrote:
saxbend wrote:

Thanks very much!

She is correct. Rattleshirt's Raiders' reaction can be triggered as soon as the challenge is won. Jaime's text is no longer blank as soon as Milk of the Poppy is removed. Collecting power for renown happens at the end of the DUCK sequence that every Thrones player should remember:

D - Determine who won the challenge (this where Reactions to winning or losing would occur)
C - Claim (Apply claim)

Yes we are agreed on the order. The issue is whether a player has to have Renown while participating in a challenge in order to be able to claim it afterwards. Doesn't Renown require the character to be paricipating with Renown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
saxbend wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
saxbend wrote:

Thanks very much!

C - Claim (Apply claim)

Yes we are agreed on the order. The issue is whether a player has to have Renown while participating in a challenge in order to be able to claim it afterwards. Doesn't Renown require the character to be paricipating with Renown?

He is participating with Renown. The challenge isn't over until you've applied all Keywords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Donnelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.