Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so this is a 2011 game "based" on the 2009 film reboot. Surprisingly there has been almost nothing added to the game (excepting the 2012 "pseudo-expansion" consisting of three character minis). But absolutely nothing at all since the 2013 film sequel. A third film sequel is slated for 2016 but as of yet it has generated little if any buzz (buzz needed to drive sales of a theoretical game expansion).

This leads me to suspect the game is indeed a "one and done" with minimal hope of ever seeing more official expansion material.

This being said, there are other similar "done" games on BGG which have enjoyed renewed interest as well as reaching wider audiences through redesigns, reboots, and fan expansions (case in point, Patrol: Lost!). Card based games seem especially well suited to fan expansions (the number of Legendary fan sets must measure in the double digits).

Skipping past the obvious ideas; more reboot ST adventures, ST:tNG adventures, adventures from other ST franchises, etc... What more franchises/genres could be adapted to fit the game mechanic?

Off the top of my head; Firefly (substitute a Reaver ship for the Klingon) LotR (Sauron for the Klingon ship), Star Wars (Death Star, duh...), Cthulhu, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would prefer stick to Star Trek, with adventures related to the Original Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mapiu2001 wrote:
I would prefer stick to Star Trek, with adventures related to the Original Series.

Although using characters from the rebooted film, the plot of the game is pure original Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I don't own it yet but I want to get it and will do so with the basic impression that, yes, this is a "one and done" game. I really think it's a shame.
In frustration I ask, how hard could it really be to come up with one or two more episodes?
angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
theclergy wrote:

In frustration I ask, how hard could it really be to come up with one or two more episodes?
angry

Because it came out from Wizkids which means when it didn't fly off the shelves they dropped it like a hot rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
theclergy wrote:

angry

Because it came out from Wizkids which means when it didn't fly off the shelves they dropped it like a hot rock.

This is annoying to us as customers. But it's good business practice for Wiz-Kids. Probably. (There are tradeoffs, which affect exactly where you draw the line.) It's not even as simple as that they wouldn't publish something that would make a loss (I won't say no one would suggest this, but no one sensible) or even would be at risk of making a loss. It's that using resources on a game denies those resources - which are finite - to other projects. It is, unfortunately, life.

(Admittedly I can be sanguine as my copy didn't actually cost me any money. Except some travelling expenses and time. But I'd make the same comment - maybe more reluctantly - if it were something I'd bought. Future products are always speculative. Though some more than others.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
edosan wrote:

I believe it was due to a different reason why the game was effectively dropped.

This is from memory, and my memory may be at fault but from what I remember this might be closer to the actual scenario. At least, this is my opinion of what might have occurred.

The new Star Trek reboot movie was due to be released in 2009 so WizKids decided to obtain the rights for a board game (and for a miniatures game as well). I believe it was a limited time-frame licence so they could only market a Star Trek board game based on the movie for a specific period of time, I think the period was for two, maybe three years.

They (WizKids) then proceeded to sit on the license for quite a while (maybe they tried to develop an in-house design, who knows) until finally they got off their arse and contracted a games designer to create a co-op game based on their license.

During game design and development, the game was pushed to completion ASAP. Not enough to effect the design or limit any of the development or playtesting but the clock was ticking and WizKids wanted to release the product before their license expired.

Even before the game was released, the design was such that it would be relatively easy to expand and release new scenarios and expansions. WizKids never seemed interested, maybe because they knew the license was going to expire shortly after it was released , maybe because they were more interested in their other Star Trek property, Star Trek: Fleet Captains.

So, they never did seem interested in extending the license and this is what I think killed the game before it was even released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
xris wrote:
edosan wrote:

I believe it was due to a different reason why the game was effectively dropped.

This is from memory, and my memory may be at fault but from what I remember this might be closer to the actual scenario. At least, this is my opinion of what might have occurred.

The new Star Trek reboot movie was due to be released in 2009 so WizKids decided to obtain the rights for a board game (and for a miniatures game as well). I believe it was a limited time-frame licence so they could only market a Star Trek board game based on the movie for a specific period of time, I think the period was for two, maybe three years.

They (WizKids) then proceeded to sit on the license for quite a while (maybe they tried to develop an in-house design, who knows) until finally they got off their arse and contracted a games designer to create a co-op game based on their license.

During game design and development, the game was pushed to completion ASAP. Not enough to effect the design or limit any of the development or playtesting but the clock was ticking and WizKids wanted to release the product before their license expired.

Even before the game was released, the design was such that it would be relatively easy to expand and release new scenarios and expansions. WizKids never seemed interested, maybe because they knew the license was going to expire shortly after it was released , maybe because they were more interested in their other Star Trek property, Star Trek: Fleet Captains.

So, they never did seem interested in extending the license and this is what I think killed the game before it was even released.

I mean...that's understandable enough. As was said, there's a business component to all this and WizKids can't be "blamed" for running a business.

But what are the fan options, do you think?

(I've order this game and will receive it tomorrow, in spite of the "lack of replayability.")

The designer is a math professor, so will it be possible for a fan (without similar skills or credentials) to create a new episode at all? Or is it a delicate mathematical balance that will be overwhelming?

Perhaps my favorite part of any game I have are the fan made additions AND the potential for me to tinker with my own creative input. That is to say, I'm already lying awake at night dreaming of new ways to introduce more content to this (for myself, at least). The whole idea of the Enterprise orbiting the planet while away teams run missions and skirmishes below is absolutely Star Trek to me, and the possibilities seem endless!

Right now I am thinking about completely rebuilding the game decks to suit whatever I come up with. The only thing missing will be art (or at least, good art). If every deck in the game is changed I think it would work. It just brings me back to my math question above. OR perhaps use identical card stats but just change the "story" element.

I'm toying with Khan on the Klingon homeworld. The enterprise is in orbit, about to be discovered (?), and the crew will need to fight or negotiate to get him. Win conditions are rife with potential too - kill Khan for a low value win, capture him for a higher value win ...

Just thinking out loud here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Palm Harbor
Fl
flag msg tools
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

The designer is a math professor, so will it be possible for a fan (without similar skills or credentials) to create a new episode at all? Or is it a delicate mathematical balance that will be overwhelming?

This is exactly what scares me off from attempting an Original Series expansion (that and sloth). Do you just throw in similar numbers, playlets, and tweak? I guess that could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arabuck wrote:
xris wrote:

This is exactly what scares me off from attempting an Original Series expansion (that and sloth). Do you just throw in similar numbers, playlets, and tweak? I guess that could work.

What TOS chapter are you thinking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arabuck wrote:
xris wrote:

I understand the concern however I think there's a great advantage in this particular co-op's victory conditions compared to others. It's not just a black or white "win/lose" condition but a (literal) sliding scale of how you did in achieving the victory conditions. It would be easy to quantitatively analyze the results of a fan scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:

Actually, as a first shot, I would enjoy a fan-made scenario that has exactly the same numbers, but with different flavor text. That should be easy (for a creative type, which I'm not), and wouldn't risk upsetting the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
peakhope wrote:
theclergy wrote:

Actually, as a first shot, I would enjoy a fan-made scenario that has exactly the same numbers, but with different flavor text. That should be easy (for a creative type, which I'm not), and wouldn't risk upsetting the balance.

Kevin, thanks, that's affirming. Kind of the direction I imagined.
For, me, I don't own the game until tomorrow and then I will have a better look. BUT the work has begun! I have a script in rough, but it still needs a lot of polish. Plus I have to get a look at things. I am avoiding all playthrough videos because I want to get some first hand enjoyment from the box too. Otherwise my project would be further along.

Let me say this, I am relieved that there are folks here who are still a part of this conversation and attempting to keep this game alive. Encouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Palm Harbor
Fl
flag msg tools
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
mapiu2001 wrote:

What TOS chapter are you thinking about?

I don't think I'm enough of a Star Trek expert to design a scenario based on a particular story line, I would take plots from lots of different TOS episodes and mix them all together, similar to the way Eldritch Horror works with Lovecraft stories (fist fight a gorn using security bonus, sabotage Klingons on Organia with stealth bonus, prove Scotty didn't kill the exotic dancer with some other kind of bonus...stuff like that).

I would LOVE to turn the Klingon battlecruiser that is in the game into a Roman Warbird and have the Enterprise deal with the plasma torpedoes. Balance of Terror is one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.