Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Faction Rules" Minor faction (FERENGI) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Hardman
msg tools
I feel I've come up with a good resource for the Ferengi (to give them a MUCH NEEDED boost in competitiveness)that still captures the flavor of Ferengi.

Ferengi "faction rules" resource 10pts

All ships that are lead by any Ferengi captain do not pay faction penalty for any tech or weapon upgrades from other factions.

AND

Any non-unique ship from any faction (except the Borg) is considered a ferengi ship for this fleet.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about, to simplify the wording a lot;

All ships commanded by a Ferengi Captain (except Borg ships) become dual faction. They posses the original Faction as well as Ferengi.

That also covers your faction penalty since if the ships are now also Ferengi faction, they suffer no penalties for at least upgrades of that ships faction to represent the stuff they acquired with the ship. I think opening it up so that they can take any items from any faction might be a little too overpowered, but giving them access to whatever items the ships original faction was gives similar flexibility but limits it a bit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I don't like it. It weakens the Ferengi identity by suggesting they should be dependent on cards from other factions. They already have cards and abilities that let's them use cards from other factions, your "resource" would make several good Ferengi options pointless.

Why not something like this?

Acquisitions resource: Each Ferengi ship with a Ferengi Captain may take 1 Ferengi upgrade for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
I had the idea to representent their stealing/ looting nature by something like this:

Whenever you destroy an enemy ship, you can steal one of the destroyed ship's weapon, tech or crew upgrades and place it on your own ship, even if it exceeds your ship's restrictions. Place a disabled token on the stolen upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hardman
msg tools
Thanks Trueflight Silverwing, I usually polish up the wording as I go along (not my strong suit).

As far as the OPness of being able to take any tech or weapon, it still needs play testing, there might be a combo or two that'll break this rule. I wanted a rule that stayed true to the fluff while giving the Ferengi some love. Being able to buy/acquire (and any non-unique ships)seemed to fit nicely, I just need to play it some more, These house rules are still open for change as we go along.

BTW, I'm a huge fan, I love your youtube videos, they were very helpful as I was learning more about other races/ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hardman
msg tools
I'm right there with you Jason, but right now what the Ferengi have isn't all that great, at least if you want to take JUST Ferengi. I find I already have to depend on other factions to make them competitive (through Officer exchange program, and taking other factions ships).

The Upgrade idea is a good one, but in almost every episode with ferengi I've seen, they're always trying to get their hands on other factions tech/weapons, so I figured it would fit well.

Thank you for the suggestions, I might incorporate it as what I have might be a bit OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hardman
msg tools
SgtCortez4722 wrote:
I had the idea to representent their stealing/ looting nature by something like this:

Whenever you destroy an enemy ship, you can steal one of the destroyed ship's weapon, tech or crew upgrades and place it on your own ship, even if it exceeds your ship's restrictions. Place a disabled token on the stolen upgrade.

This would be cool, the problem I find is it takes a lot to kill an enemy ship (since most of the ships I face are a lot stronger than a ferengi Marauder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're never going to make the Ferrengi into a "combat" faction. We've never seen them combine as a fleet on TV. They really only pull out the ships if they think they have the total upper hand. They don't really believe in comb at as a way to solve their problems, they prefer trickery and dealmaking. Which is great if you're not in a starship combat game.

You might as well make a Warhammer 40K army out of Ewoks.

I love watching those "little trolls" (as Kira might say), they're alway fun and I have considerable sympathy for them, but they really aren't into fighting unless their back is against the wall.

If you want a scenario though, how about a Dominion attack on Ferrenginar. That would be a goal they could get behind right? They'd have no choice but to fight with all your new upgrade cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.