Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game and I´m happy there´s a solo mode.
The only downside of the solo mode is that you might not reach your life Goals. Not because you were playing bad, but because the game itself doesn´t give you a Chance.

Last game one of my life goals was "Get a Level 3 Job". Well... no Level 3 Job showed up during the game, so I lost the game due to bad luck in drawing cards.

Maybe this can be adressed in the KS version.

For the Moment I guess I´ll add a Card with another action space. It will cost 1 hourglass to activate and will let you discard and redraw all cards of 1 category.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the "Get -1 STH: Discard the available cards and reveal new ones" rule? If you do, you can "search" the Job deck quite effectively and find what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
Did you use the "Get -1 STH: Discard the available cards and reveal new ones" rule? If you do, you can "search" the Job deck quite effectively and find what you need.

Oh, damn.. must have overlooked this one. Thanks for pointing me to it.
So forget this thread. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we can say it's still thematic. Just because you have a life goal, doesn't mean you will achieve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I realized in this game you can justify everything with: Well, life isn't fair.
But all in all it's a game and supposed to be fun.
I'm happy the designers thought of that and it was just my mistake I missed this one rule.

Great game. Love the theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just happened with me, playing solo, except it was the "survive into the 2nd round of old age" life goal. It can't be won unless you draw a card with a heart on it (and early). I spent happiness cycling through the cards but just didn't draw one. I don't mind losing, but dont care for it when a certain few cards are at the bottom of the deck (also one of the many reasons I don't like Pandemic). I lost the game before it started, I just didn't know it. I'd recommend taking out this card when playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Lines: If it's the game in the video, you did draw a level 3 job and let it go, then you took a level 1 in the same category. At this point, you were doomed, because there's only one L3 in each branch.

@Michael: Yes, that's rough. Although even if you lost, you still have a cool story. Technically you can do it three times per decade without losing LTH, which lets you see pretty much the whole deck by the last adult round. It's a rare case. The probability of having the six cards with a heart (assuming a 60 card deck) all in the bottom half is 1.186%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:
@Lines: If it's the game in the video, you did draw a level 3 job and let it go, then you took a level 1 in the same category. At this point, you were doomed, because there's only one L3 in each branch.

@Michael: Yes, that's rough. Although even if you lost, you still have a cool story. Technically you can do it three times per decade without losing LTH, which lets you see pretty much the whole deck by the last adult round. It's a rare case. The probability of having the six cards with a heart (assuming a 60 card deck) all in the bottom half is 1.186%

If you're doing it three times per round, you're tanking the rest of the game (you still have two other goals to meet and 50 vps), and you'd still need to get it early. Statistically, you're right, but realistically, it's a life goal that doesn't work for the solo game (in my opinion). I was definitely enjoying the story up until that point I realized the particular life goal was a card draw. I really liked the game, mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recycling of cards doesn't take an hourglass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:
The recycling of cards doesn't take an hourglass.

I know. It takes STH. You can't have STH sitting at -3 the whole game and be productive toward the other two life goals and getting 50 LTH. More importantly, it destroys the theme of "playing" life, while you focus for the first three turns finding one of eight cards through cycling. Its silly, compared to the other life goals. No other life goal requires you to have flipped 1 of 6 cards early in the game. I see no benefit, thematically or mechanically, to having it in the solo game (you could variant it so that you had to make it to the end of the 1st old age round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 6 Health Projects (providing you with a Heart) in the game (and 1 more in the Stretch Rewards for those who got them).

Assuming you play with just the main game cards, the Health Projects should be (statistically speaking) 1 in every 10 cards. Not counting the Old Age (which you could if you wanted but let's keep that round's actions/hourglasses as backup in case we need them to advance the Project we take) this means you will see at least 15 different Projects in the game. Considering that every time you take one, another one is drawn, it is safe to assume that you will probably see 5 more, for a total of 20 Projects. Statistically, you should have seen 2 Health Projects during the game.

Statistics however, exist to be proven wrong so let's assume that no Health Projects were drawn in those 20 cards. Provided that this specific Life Goal has been drawn and you need to go for it in order to win, it is safe to assume that you will also perform some "searching" for such Projects by giving STH. Of course, doing so has consequences (it's more difficult to advance Projects) but when you learn to play the game well, you can time your actions so that the downside is minimal (or even non-existent). So, assuming 1 search per round, that would reveal 15 more cards (for a total of 35). That's more than half of the game's Projects!

If we assume that Lady Luck is not on your side and you get desperate, searching twice in every round would have 50 of the game's cards revealed to you. Having all 6 of the Health Projects be in the last 10 cards is really REALLY unlikely. Even in that case however, it would only take 1 additional search (in any one of those 5 rounds where you would be able to do so without consequences) to guarantee you see one.

My point in all this is that under normal circumstances it is not that difficult/unlikely to get a Health Project in order to fulfill the Life Goal. Under extreme/unlikely circumstances it may become harder but definitely not impossible for someone who knows how to play the game well.

If you believe that luck regularly messes with you, consider this Life Goal as an added difficulty for the solo game, a higher level if you like.

Of course, if you still don't like it, feel free to ignore it for solo play and draw another one in its place. The most important thing is to have fun playing the game and that's what you should aim for!

I hope I helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I disagree, but I'll just pull the card for my solo plays. Not because it's creates a higher level, but because it doesn't work. I wanted people to be aware of the problem I see, and adjust if they wanted.

Regardless, I hope everyone enjoys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geraldine Daneau
Belgium
flag msg tools
What is for sure unfillfillable is the combination of this life goal with the "die when entering old age or earlier" !

This last life goal is also tough as you have one round less to reach the 50 LTH.
In this sense, I wonder if the LTH mentioned on the life goal cards are added to reach the 50 LTH; according to the rules, I understand that no, as you have to ignore what is written above the solo game indication. However, this life goal card offers a high number of points (9 in place of 3-5), so it would make sense that you get this bonus in compensation of this lost round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.