Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here´s what happened at the start of the last round. Each Player knew he was going to die at the start of the next round, so no one felt the need to pay any upkeep costs on job and relationship / family.

Although this might happen in normal life it felt a bit rude that this is the best way to go in terms of game mechanics and victory. You save some hourglasses and resources for better use in your last round. Is that intended?

Yes, your Stress increases, but who cares? You´ll die anyway. And the check if you lose hourglasses due to too many Stress happens before the upkeep step.
So no big loss here.

My first suggested change is moving the check how many hourglasses you lose to a place after the "pay upkeep costs" step. So not paying upkeep would give you Stress which will most likely have you lose one more hourglass.

Don´t know if this prevents players from leaving job and family in their last turn. It might still be the most lucrative way to go. Maybe another change Needs to be made here (?).

Thougths?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning not to work in my old age ... I'm not planning to quit my family in old age, but then again a family gives a lot of LTH in this game (and RL)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, when a player gets a Job, he uses it to convert resources (knowledge, creativity and influence) to money. Then, he uses that money to get items (or activities) which in many cases have upkeep costs. In this way, an "engine" is created. The player spends some resources, in order to get money, in order to pay upkeep costs and get Victory Points.

If you decide to forfeit the upkeep costs then you "stop" the engine you've built. If you want, you are free to do so, however this will mean you won't be getting the points you would be getting otherwise.

Same thing applies to Partners. Usually you spend some time markers in the upkeep, in order to gain some direct Victory Points. If you don't want to gain those points anymore, it's ok. But it may be hard to gain the same points in another way.

However, if you prefer to have a more "tight" or "strict" game and have those upkeep costs paid (or not) before the Hourglass tokens are determined, feel free to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.