Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game, need more! Any word on expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has the game even been released in retail? -- Because if not, then I guess it'll take some time for the first expansions to appear (though I, too, am eager to see them ). On a more serious note: has anything been settled about how the expansions will be distributed? Last I heard is they still were considering different options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic was released at retail in mid October. It is actually one of the best turn-arounds for a kickstarter game that I know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Expansions are in development. That's all I'm allowed to say. =)

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:

You could have said just XMAS and we would have been very very happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod_XXII wrote:
NathanWWG wrote:

You could have said just XMAS and we would have been very very happy!

No, someone would then ask "Which Christmas" and you'd be back where you started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG

Please please, fix ALL* the missing components stuff. It won't be hard, just do it! Then I am really looking forward to more awesome, especially balancing in regards to colors (for instance I kinda like blue, but it seems a bit of strong overall - see the thread with ratings on that).

* standard tokens, golem tokens / 1\1 tokens, gold coin flip cards, life counter dials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to let it go. There is nothing missing. Your incessant whining is getting a bit irritating. Go back to pushing meeples around and stop cluttering up the forums with crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Please please, fix ALL* the missing components stuff.

The only thing "missing" is you publicly thanking WWG for posting the PNP token sheet. You've inserted yourself into practically every thread, but conveniently missed that one.

Back on topic, I hope any expansions help develop the lore of the Epic universe. More things like the demigod cards are a great way to deliver both new gameplay and narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
ionas wrote:
NathanWWG wrote:

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG

Please please, fix ALL* the missing components stuff. It won't be hard, just do it! Then I am really looking forward to more awesome, especially balancing in regards to colors (for instance I kinda like blue, but it seems a bit of strong overall - see the thread with ratings on that).

* standard tokens, golem tokens / 1\1 tokens, gold coin flip cards, life counter dials

You've made your point, we've heard it several times, and frankly it is reaching the point of distraction for you to continually enter so many threads to bring up your point again and again.

We aren't selling golem tokens. We aren't selling 1/1 tokens. If you want them, please go to http://epiccardgame.com/rules and print them out.

We appreciate your business, but this stubborn insistence of changing the subject in these threads again and again is the opposite of the reason why we log into BGG each day.

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could we see things down the road like "enchantments", "artifacts", "equipment", etc. down the road?

Can these types integrate into Epic or would it not work with the random decks formats?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifacts and enchantments are basically the same anyway, as MaRo acknowledged a few years ago. I can definitely see these kind of cards in Epic as well, maybe with an expend ability. Equipment could work as well, but would need to be really powerful to make it worthwhile.

Another thing to consider: One of the many plusses of Epic is that it is so simple. There are only two card types. Adding another one needs to be worthwhile the extra complexity. For artifacts/enchantments, I can see that, but I somehow doubt it for equipments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan,

Firstly, regarding the member who continuously insists on tokens. Yep, annoying. At this point the lone crusade for tokens has become more of a joke. When the point is endlessly belabored it loses credibility and serves no purpose. However, he is still a customer and likely a player of the game. It's a fine line to walk when addressing a customer complaint in a public forum. That being said, hopefully that's the end of the constant derailment of future threads as he now has official word on the tokens. I hate wasting time even addressing it, but hopefully that member sees he official response from a representative of WWG and puts and end to it.

On to the OP

Regarding the expansions...

I know this game has still yet to reach everyone that wants it for various reasons. I also know that it's not easy to pump out expansions. Especially for such a relatively small company.

Does WWG have any sort of tentative schedule regarding expansions? Maybe one or two a year? Or is the game so new that it's not even really hit the table for discussion yet?

I thoroughly enjoy Star Reals, but frankly I find EPIC a far more enjoyable and strategic game. By default of the game mechanics there is just less luck in EPIC than Star Realms. As such, in my opinion EPIC will benefit more from the inclusion of new cards. Star Realms tends to become so big that you have to almost be selective about which cards get added/removed from the game. However EPIC, at least in it's current incarnation, does not seem to suffer that fate.

I love this game. I personally find it nothing short of a miracle that such a minimal game (cards and a box) can provide so much depth and play value. Moreover, though it's closely related to Magic, it's more than original enough to stand on it's own. Coming from an old Magic background I watched countless games come out that tried to recapture that "magic." (terrible pun intended). I remember Jyhad, Wyvern, Illuminati, and so many others. All of which tried to hard to cater to Magic players that they were either too close to the game or too far away from it. EPIC strikes a unique blend. It does it "right." You captured this old Magic player and provided me with everything I wanted from a card game minus the massive expenditure. ...All while providing a game that, for me, rivals magic in general. THAT is something to pat yourselves on the back for. I never thought it was possible. Ironic that it took Magic Pro Tour players to design it. ..Or maybe not that ironic at all.

So, needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting expansions. Just knowing that a new expansion means buying 1 pack to have everything available is mind blowing. I remember chasing cards in Arabian Nights or Legends. UGH!

I also remember that expansions like Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark, etc. all introduced new mechanics to the game that allowed the game to change slightly while still keeping the general flavor.

To this extent, can you maybe give us a hint as to what WWG is trying to accomplish with the next expansion? Is it just added cards that don't change much? Maybe leftovers from R&D that have been refined? Which is still great. Or will you be trying to add mechanics to the game (dual lands, multi-alignment cards)? I'm sorry for the Magic references, it's all I have as a way to articulate. lol

Thanks for the confirmation that an expansion is already in the works. Hopefully it's a large one. After only a few games the cards are very familiar. Not a lot of surprises. Still very tactical and strategic, but more cards would add a greater level of depth by default.

More EPIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn hit the nail on the head. Magic is great, but what I really want is a small, single-box game that plays like a CCG. Epic does that, and does it well.

My one big 'want' for the first expansion is the Range keyword from the old TCG version of Epic. The Objects could be fun, but I'm perfectly happy with just two card types. One thing I don't want to see is mixing in other genres. Dinosaurs are kind of pushing the line, but if spaceships and robots show up, I'll be disappointed. The original Epic TCG had these in an expansion (Time War, I believe?), and it kind of kills the immersion for me. I like my fantasy separate from my sci-fi.

Thanks for the Scrap Golem tokens. Not necessary, but appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
My one big 'want' for the first expansion is the Range keyword

This ^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Brian. Never even thought of that. Please no space ships! lol! Once a game gets too varied in it's themes it almost serves to muddy it up vs. just making it a broader spectrum. But hey, whatever comes I'll take it.

And now that you mention it, there are plenty of game mechanics from Magic that can still be reinterpreted for EPIC. I like the idea of some multi-alignment cards (deitys or gods maybe). Maybe even add a new color/alignment entirely somewhere down the road.

Dinosaurs was a bit weird to see, but probably because I was so geared towards the Magic universe. So was Kong for that matter, but I actually liked it. Dinosaurs seemed odd at first, but I think they fit just fine after seeing them for a number of games.

It would almost seem like Jumping the Shark (and way too early) to see Buck Rogers and company enter the world of EPIC.

WWG - you guys have a great thing here. I don't even think it's been fully realized or appreciated yet by the gaming community. I also feel that, by default, your biggest opposition will be from Magic players who refuse to even try it. The games really are very similar, but also very, very different. The idea of anyone getting the same level of satisfaction and enjoyment out of a game that costs $30.00 max to make any conceivable constructed deck is enough to make a Mr. Suitcase blow a fuse.

EPIC is is on the precipice of greatness. It's initial entrance into the gaming world has whet my appetite like no other game in decades. It's still very young. And there are a lot of ways it can get ruined in it's infancy. Many great games of the past have fallen prey to one problem or another only to reside in the graveyard of games. Thankfully, we have a small, but somewhat seasoned company in WWG to guide this along through the jungle of newness. I really believe the right guys are at the helm. They had a smash hit with a surprisingly simple game "Star Realms" and EPIC is a departure to a more mature game. The biggest hurdle with any game is it's inception. And in my opinion they cleared that hurdle effortlessly. The sophomore release (expansion) is almost as defining as the original. Let's hope WWG gets that right too!

And we need organized play rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need some fantasy staples to make it in like mermaids/merfolk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
We need some fantasy staples to make it in like mermaids/merfolk.

Hear, hear!

I personally would like to see griffins! Along with more gargoyles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merfolk would be a welcome addition. I can even see them fitting into multiple alignments. Good merfolk, Evil sea hag type critters, and big Wild beaters.

But if we're making a wishlist, then I want scarecrows. Evil scarecrows. Scary, creepy ones. I can even see a scarecrow token generator being viable.

Anyone got Epic templates yet? I feel the need to cobble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
Merfolk would be a welcome addition. I can even see them fitting into multiple alignments. Good merfolk, Evil sea hag type critters, and big Wild beaters.

But if we're making a wishlist, then I want scarecrows. Evil scarecrows. Scary, creepy ones. I can even see a scarecrow token generator being viable.

Anyone got Epic templates yet? I feel the need to cobble.

Scarecrows? Like the awesome 80s horror movie? devil (May be NSFW for gore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hope is that with anything added it doesn't change the flow of the game. Adding interrupts, seems like an obvious mechanic but it's a key differentiater between Epic and MtG. I would hope that anything added keeps the current game flow intact. With only 2 currencies to a card (free or 1) you can't balance things based on mana costs which means every card pretty much has to be self balancing, makes for an interesting situation from a design perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
My hope is that with anything added it doesn't change the flow of the game. Adding interrupts, seems like an obvious mechanic but it's a key differentiater between Epic and MtG. I would hope that anything added keeps the current game flow intact. With only 2 currencies to a card (free or 1) you can't balance things based on mana costs which means every card pretty much has to be self balancing, makes for an interesting situation from a design perspective.

What the hell are those things in your avatar?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My hands are really tied about what I can say about future expansions, other than they are happening and we have multiple planned.

I can say that there aren't any mermen/mermaids* in the first expansion. I guess I can get away with that.

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG
* Why aren't they merwomen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
What the hell are those things in your avatar?!

What I see when I close my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
NathanWWG wrote:

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG

I didn't think it was possible to be more obnoxious than you were when you invaded every Descent 2e and Imperial Assault thread to proclaim how much Descent 2e sucks, but congratulations on outdoing yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.