Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

8:00pm Wednesday Room #1106

Pitchcar is a game where you flick a wood disc around a track filled with turns, jumps, and other cars. First to complete three laps wins.

A ton of fun. 100% silly and 100% serious at the same time. Some people think "flicking games" are beneath them. But this tournament has become one of BGG Con's highlights for those of use who are willing to embrace our inner child ride the rails.

Beginners are very welcome. It is easy to learn and some newbies have done very well in the past.

Everyone will play in 3 prelim races. These will be on tracks that are much simpler than the one posted above.

Prelims should be done around 10:00.

Top 9 people advance to the final track.

My goal is for the finals to be done by 1:00am. Last year we finished around 2:00am. The year before that we finished at 3:00am. We are getting better at running the tournament, so I think this is doable.

The plan is for this year's final track to have less emphasis on stunts and more focus on positioning and racing.

In years past giant pile ups would form at the entrance to hard obstacles. Sometimes this allowed for a run away leader if just once person made it trough before the pile up formed. We are adding a rule (rule 7 below) to fix this problem. This should make it more fun for the people jockeying for the lead as well as the people struggling with the obstacle. And fun is the number 1 priority.

This is on the 11th floor of the hotel.

This is on the very first night of the con. Set an alarm so the first day excitement doesn't cause you to forget about it.

There will be a signup sheet posted with the other signup sheets.

We are limited to 40 people. Out of respect to people trying to plan their gaming, please only sign up if you actually plan to make the effort to show up. That said, if you don't get one of the 40 slots on the signup sheet, you should still come. The last two years we have been almost full, but been able to get everyone in who wants to play.

okiedokie is once again providing a trophy to the winner. Just getting to see the trophy is worth the price of admission.

Like all events at BGG Con, there is no cost to enter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitchcar Tournament Rules

Normal pitchcar rules apply, except:

1. Turn order will be resolved in order of current track position (1st place to last). Priority in curves is given to the player having traveled the largest angle through the specific curve segment.

2. If your car flips over, you spend the next turn flipping it back over instead of placing your car back where you shot it.

3. You can legally skip two segments. There will be some specific exceptions to this on some tracks.

4. Starting order will be assigned for each race based on the player card you get before the tournament starts.

5. At the start of the race, cars will not be placed on the track. When it is your turn, you may place your car anywhere directly behind the starting line to take your first shot. If your first shot falls off the track or your knocks another car off, then remove your car from the track and follow the same procedure for your next turn. This prevents one bad shots from clogging up the starting line. After this, you have to deal with the crowds on your own.

6. You may move your car a distance equal the thickness of a car away from a rail or another car to make room for your finger. You can’t move your car if you won’t be flicking from the newly vacated space.

7. There will be designated areas in front of some obstacles. If you start your shot from the designated area and do not clear the obstacle your car will be removed from the track until your next turn so that other cars will have a clearer shot. On your next turn you can place your car anywhere in the designated area to attempt your shot.

8. Cars are ranked in the order they cross the line, even if multiple cars cross on the same turn.

9. One point for first. Two points for second. Etc. The nine players will the fewest points advance to the finals. In case of a tie for the last spot we will have a three flick flick-off between the tied players.

10. Starting order on the final track will be lowest points to highest points.

11. Have fun. There is no crying or arguing in Pitchcar. Exuberance when making a difficult shot is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty absurd! Even worse if you are used to left turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a newbie last year and made it to the finals table. I had a great time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first BGG.CON and I was looking forward to trying PitchCar, but it was tore down before I arrived on Thursday. Can it be left up an extra day this year for casual play after the tournament? I understand if not.

Thanks,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We can't leave this one up because it will be in the attendee schedule events room, and we only have the room that night. Additionally, the final track tends to be pretty crazy which makes it fragile. So, it needs constant repair to keep working.

However, there are several copies of the game in the library. I know in the past people have setup large tracks in the dexterity area and left them up for a couple days.

I would recommend getting there on Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like a trophy like that has to be built into the final track!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% agree.

Is the cup open on top? Can the race finish in the cup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The car is removeable and I have the proper tools with which to remove it. In fact, the entire thing can be taken apart for easy storage in a suitcase or carry on (for folks that are flying in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Signup sheet has been a little hard to find. Just come on up to room #1106 at 8pm tonight (Wednesday). I bet we will have room for everyone who shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Shald
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Does "Betrayal at House on the Hill" count as a zombie game?
mbmbmbmbmb

Image id 2761905, 2761906
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Who won?

That would be me.

Chad DeShon was a close second all the way to the final section of track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome. makes me wish i was there. maybe in a couple years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
okiedokie wrote:
Who won?

That would be me.

Chad DeShon was a close second all the way to the final section of track.

Congratulations!

I ran a PitchCar tournament just 2 and a half weeks ago. I'm going to be stealing some of your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.