Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Is the ship the Alien was on its own species ship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I just watched Alien today for the first time in many years. When the ground party of the Nostromo first enters the ship in which the "egg" cases are found they find a large fossilized creature in a huge chair. I had originally assumed this ship belonged to the "Alien" race since it has a whole hatchery and the style of the ship is not unlike the creature itself. (you know, black, ribby, wet, metalic) Now I'm not so sure. The creature in the seat had something "explode" out of it. Was this just normal reproduction of the ships owner/user? Or was this giant figure in the chair and his or her whole ship a victim of the "Alien" menace?

Please enlighten me fellow geeks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perhaps the biggest failing of Mr. Giger's work that everything
he has ever done and will ever do looks like a product of the race that produces face-hugging, acid-blooded, cranky little gut-popping "look out the queen is coming" aliens. However, it is pretty clear from the fact that there is no hive of aspic strung all over the insides of the ship in question that no, they didn't produce it, and that supersized dead fossil of an extra-terrestrial with the exploded belly is just another unlucky
interstellar schmuck who landed on the WRONG planet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is perhaps the biggest failing of Mr. Giger's work that everything
he has ever done and will ever do looks like a product of the race that produces face-hugging, acid-blooded, cranky little gut-popping "look out the queen is coming" aliens. However, it is pretty clear from the fact that there is no hive of aspic strung all over the insides of the ship in question that no, they didn't produce it, and that supersized dead fossil of an extra-terrestrial with the exploded belly is just another unlucky
interstellar schmuck who landed on the WRONG planet.


I concur!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
goo yes, that seated "Gunner" was a 'victim' of those 'critters', while from my understandings of such, then they 'permutate' when they were within their "host". It is WHY during the 3rd 'movie' that there was that 'dog'-style kind, and also in the 4th version where they had a 'humanoid' type as well. Just think of this as the poor fellow getting an overblown & fatal 'case' of the "space-herpes", and WHEN someone 'warns' YOU away from those 'intergalactic hos', then LISTEN to them and heed their words of 'warning'!
"in SPACE, then sometimes a 'happy ending' just isn't so!...as you'll soon rue this little 'factoid' as well"
robot
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigass weirdo = alien host

And from the scope, setting, and position of the fossilized victim, I've always assumed that this race is wiser and more advanced than the humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile since I've watched the movie, but don't they figure out that the beacon/signal they used to locate the ship was actually a warning for them to stay away?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripley is a Replicant. Ridley Scott confirmed this 20 years later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
It was another foolish alien race that thought they could control the "Aliens" and was killed in transit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
And from the scope, setting, and position of the fossilized victim, I've always assumed that this race is wiser and more advanced than the humans.


I always assumed they were big, fat, stupid and lumbering.

Although it is also somewhat possible that this race actively either created the aliens or used them as weapons.

Or they maybe just accidentally landed on a planet full of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Alien production notes, this creature is called "The Navigator."

I always thought it looked like an anthropomorphic elephant (searching for space peanuts, no doubt).

By the way, I got Alien 3 through NetFlix a couple weeks ago. Sadly, it is just as bad as I remembered it from the theater, although it was interesting to see that the alien bursts from an ox rather than a dog in the original cut of the movie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
I just watched Alien today for the first time in many years. When the ground party of the Nostromo first enters the ship in which the "egg" cases are found they find a large fossilized creature in a huge chair. I had originally assumed this ship belonged to the "Alien" race since it has a whole hatchery and the style of the ship is not unlike the creature itself. (you know, black, ribby, wet, metalic) Now I'm not so sure. The creature in the seat had something "explode" out of it. Was this just normal reproduction of the ships owner/user? Or was this giant figure in the chair and his or her whole ship a victim of the "Alien" menace?

Please enlighten me fellow geeks.


Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense and even Giger was making changes as the film was being produced. The creature is based on drawings from his book "Necronomicon" that Ridley Scott had seen. He liked some of the drawings of creatures that it had in it and he brought Giger aboard the film production.

The "Navigator" is indeed sending out a warning, as if his ship was consumed by the Aliens as well. We do see what the Aliens do as they "mutate" a ships interior - what Giger calls "Biomechanics", but it's not only the interior of the Navigator's ship that has been "Alienized", it's the entire design of the ship overall. It the ship is an Alien ship, then:
1. Why/how would there be someone to warn others on it?
2. Why does he look to be similar to them?
3. Why was he "built in" to the console he sits at?

There are no plausible answers to these things and what it infers is that it's a ship that the Aliens themselves made (and not took over) - which is totally stupid.

It's best to not try and figure it out too much as much of the interviews and books about the movie describe the constantly changing look of things to keep an "alien" look about it all.

James Cameron did a much better job making sense of it all by adding a Hive mentality and a Queen into the picture. For your own sake, just forget that the 3rd and 4th film were ever made.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
There are no plausible answers to these things and what it infers is that it's a ship that the Aliens themselves made (and not took over) - which is totally stupid.


Or they made the aliens, or they come from a place where the 'biomechanic' is a common life factor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
James Cameron did a much better job making sense of it all by adding a Hive mentality and a Queen into the picture. For your own sake, just forget that the 3rd and 4th film were ever made.


It just so happens that I saw these films in reverse order originally. Alien3 was my first Alien movie which I saw in the theater when it came out. I liked it enough to see the other two on video, first Aliens and then the orignal.

Then I made the unfortunate mistake of spending good money to see Alien 4 in the theater.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
Then I made the unfortunate mistake of spending good money to see Alien 4 in the theater.


Wow, that's two hours of my life I'd like to get back. There were about three GAPING plot holes in that stinker, too.

I always assumed that the ship was one that had been consumed by the aliens, but not made by the aliens themselves. I hadn't made the connection to the biomechanisms giving the ship its overall feel, but with the distress signal being sent out, and the puncture wound in the fossilized remains, it was pretty clear to me that the aliens had taken over the ship and destroyed the life on it.

One of the things I always liked about the movies is that it's never clear where the aliens come from, or how long they've been around. It's also interesting that the remains on the ship are fossilized, indicating that it has been there a LONG time, and the face huggers in the egg sacks have been in a sort of stasis during that time. The ambiguity behind the aliens adds a lot of atmosphere to the movie, and makes it that much more effective, I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien? What alien? All the movie shows is a reflection of ourselves, a rehash of the paranoid sci-fi of the 50s and 60s with some special effects thrown in. The so-called alien is disgustingly human.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because your mother fell over dead at the dinner table when you burst forth like an angry worm from her abdomen, don't cast aspersions on the rest of us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
twixter wrote:
Alien? What alien? All the movie shows is a reflection of ourselves, a rehash of the paranoid sci-fi of the 50s and 60s with some special effects thrown in. The so-called alien is disgustingly human.


Uhhh...What?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
twixter wrote:
Alien? What alien? All the movie shows is a reflection of ourselves, a rehash of the paranoid sci-fi of the 50s and 60s with some special effects thrown in. The so-called alien is disgustingly human.


I too would like an explanation. I'm always interested in differing interpretations of things, and this is definitely one I've never heard of before, thought it's plausible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Twixter, don't you know that things can only be interpreted a single way, and that's with the most obvious surface details?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.