BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Army pack playability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I don't own the game, but I watched several videos about the game and I'm interested to find out some more things before I consider buying it.

I understand that the Army expansion packs each have their own Lore card deck. Also, I know that their are 2 Army packs for the third Undead faction, that can be played separately or combined. This makes me think that the miniatures, Lore decks and other components for (let's say) the Daqan faction can also be seen as 2 Army packs; one in the base game box and the other in the expansion for that faction.

So my question is: if you use an Army pack for one of the first two factions, can you use the same kind of components from the Army pack that are also found in the base game separately as well? I mean the minis, Lore deck and other things from ONLY the expansion pack, and the rest (board, dice, tokens, etc.) from the base game? Or do you need additional minis and cards form the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each army pack has enough units to make their own army. Like you said you still need the dice, board, and command deck of the base game but you can even play Daqan vs Daqan with the base game plus the army pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Did you actually try that 'mirror match' variation? I would think it would not be doable or recommended; not because of the amount of minis and cards, but because of potential enemy army effects that don't do anything against another army from the same faction. Also, isn't this only possible if you would mark both of those armies in some way, because the have the same color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
Did you actually try that 'mirror match' variation? I would think it would not be doable or recommended; not because of the amount of minis and cards, but because of potential enemy army effects that don't do anything against another army from the same faction. Also, isn't this only possible if you would mark both of those armies in some way, because the have the same color?

I don't have the reinforcements yet so I haven't tried a mirror match. There are some duplicate units in both the base game and army packs, Blood Harvesters and Citadel Guards if I recall correctly. But if you face the units towards your opponent then as long as you're careful there shouldn't be a problem. There are enough unique units that you could minimize the amount of duplicate units.

I think all the effects would still apply to your opponent. Most of the effects just say "all enemy units......" or something similar. If you interpret your opponents pieces as the enemy (even if they are of the same race).

I don't think a mirror match would be much fun if nothing else than it being unthematic but there are no game mechanics preventing you from doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
I dont really think there are any abilities or effects that wouldn't take effect in a mirror match other than stuff specific to the undead(plaugelands hex).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.