Subject: UK availability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone seen if this is available in the UK yet, or heard any news about when it might be?

While I'm aware that Z-Man are doing the English version, and therefore there will probably be limited supply, it doesn't appear that this has been released and already sold out. If that were the case I would be able to find a listing for this in my favourite UK online stores (principally boardgameguru, shire games and gameslore), together with an "out of stock" listing. But a search on any of these sites comes up blank, leading me to believe that the English-language version hasn't even been released yet.

But I gather from BGG that it was on sale at Essen (albeit at an extortionate cost - let's not discuss that here though ), and it seems that some in the US have copies. So what's going on here? I'm a big RR fan, and would love to have this expansion in time for Christmas, but I'm puzzled by the lack of any news about a UK release. RR is a BGG top-50 game, you'd think there would be a bit more buzz about this expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice, buy from Amazon.de

I did that for the base game when it was taking a while to get over here, and it turned out to be cheaper when shipped from Germany than it was from ZMAN. The Euro was a lot stronger back then too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgameprices.co.uk/item/show/15869/russian-railroa...

which leads to, inter alia

http://meeplescorner.co.uk/Board-Games/Russian-Railroads-Ger...

who have the German version in stock in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My guess is that the English version will get into the stores in Europe later as it first has to get to Z-Man before it enters the distribution chain. Crossing the Atlantic twice takes some time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link (I never knew about that site, will have to save it for future reference!) - but that just confirms what I already suspected, as all of those listing seem to be for the German-language edition.

Now I know this is a form of OCD which will end up costing me money (as well as the chance of picking this expansion up sooner), but I always much MUCH prefer to have a version with an English-language rulebook. And yes, I know it is available for download - I have done so and read it already. But I always want a proper printed version available for reference - and this has some practical relevance here, as when we play RR I quite frequently have to pass the rulebook around the table when someone looks at the endgame bonus cards. (For some reason these often cause confusion, even though the game's iconography is for the most part impeccably clear.) So I am willing to pay some kind of premium for the English-language edition - even though in this case that premium will, by all accounts, be close to £20, which I admit does give me pause for thought (and no, I am not rich or even particularly comfortably off, although not exactly on the breadline either). I just want to know when I'll be able to see English-language copies available, so that I can at least have all the information to make that decision. Since it seems there were some available at Essen, I'm surprised that there is no word yet on availability of the Z-Man edition in the UK (or elsewhere, presumably it will hit the US and Canada first and then be imported to the UK).

Mind you, I recall something very similar happening last year with the Terra Mystica expansion (another game where Z-Man have the English-language rights), so I suppose this is no surprise.

Thanks for the help, anyway, even though it doesn't really answer my questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get my rule-books printed at www.fileprint.org. As long as they are not much bigger than A4 (more actuality folded a3) the prices are very reasonable. The basic paper quality (120gsm silk) is as good as normal rule-books (often better), the printing quality excellent, and being machine folded an stapled you can't tell the difference.

They have a handling charge which can make a single thing expensive, but I tend to get a dozen different things printed at the same time - rulebooks, player aids, player mats (on their matt laminated 350gsm stock) etc, paste-ups etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Thanks for the link (I never knew about that site, will have to save it for future reference!) - but that just confirms what I already suspected, as all of those listing seem to be for the German-language edition.

Now I know this is a form of OCD which will end up costing me money (as well as the chance of picking this expansion up sooner), but I always much MUCH prefer to have a version with an English-language rulebook. And yes, I know it is available for download - I have done so and read it already. But I always want a proper printed version available for reference - and this has some practical relevance here, as when we play RR I quite frequently have to pass the rulebook around the table when someone looks at the endgame bonus cards. (For some reason these often cause confusion, even though the game's iconography is for the most part impeccably clear.) So I am willing to pay some kind of premium for the English-language edition - even though in this case that premium will, by all accounts, be close to £20, which I admit does give me pause for thought (and no, I am not rich or even particularly comfortably off, although not exactly on the breadline either). I just want to know when I'll be able to see English-language copies available, so that I can at least have all the information to make that decision. Since it seems there were some available at Essen, I'm surprised that there is no word yet on availability of the Z-Man edition in the UK (or elsewhere, presumably it will hit the US and Canada first and then be imported to the UK).

Mind you, I recall something very similar happening last year with the Terra Mystica expansion (another game where Z-Man have the English-language rights), so I suppose this is no surprise.

Thanks for the help, anyway, even though it doesn't really answer my questions

There is a neater solution for the back page. I print out 1 copy of any tile manifest included in a game per player and laminate them. This can be distributed as part of setup. Even more OCD arguably (though I prefer the term anal-retentive as I know people with OCD and it upsets them to hear this horrendous condition to be trivialised), more costly (at least at first) but significantly speeds up gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the main problem is that the information policy of Z-Man is quite non existant. I guess the container should hit the US rather soon. I guess it will be available in US Nov. 15th

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
I get my rule-books printed at www.fileprint.org. As long as they are not much bigger than A4 (more actuality folded a3) the prices are very reasonable. The basic paper quality (120gsm silk) is as good as normal rule-books (often better), the printing quality excellent, and being machine folded an stapled you can't tell the difference.

They have a handling charge which can make a single thing expensive, but I tend to get a dozen different things printed at the same time - rulebooks, player aids, player mats (on their matt laminated 350gsm stock) etc, paste-ups etc

Do you select the Print Your Stationery (PDF) option for rules?

I've learnt 2 things today - the prices website and the rules printing website. Would certainly have saved me some Essen cash when buying the ZMan version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexjrc wrote:
Do you select the Print Your Stationery (PDF) option for rules?
Assuming you've created an account (and there's no downside to that, no spam etc) then log-in and click the "Upload a PDF file" button on the top left hand side in the grey box.

Then ... select the zman rules downloaded PDF and upload it. Wait a short while and you'll be presented with an options selection screen. It should probably be set to the default option of a folded stapled 8-side booklet - but if not, follow the relatively simple steps to get that and save it. If it won't give you that option then it'll be because the Zman version is US-paper sized when 2 pages are laid next to one another, either dimension is greater than an A3 page. In that case you'll need to edit to Zman version to A4 size (twiddle the page boxes in Acrobat). Note: this is because (AFAIK) their folding and stapling machine can only handle paper with a maximum size of A3.

Cost? £1.70 for an 8 page rulebook in full colour indistinguishable from the original.

Some of the things I've had printed and bound there are the (Un)official Agricola compendium (about 100 sides/pages A4 spiral bound B&W) and the 'full' Carcassonne manual from Carcassonne central of about 180 sides, A5 full colour spiral bound. Rulebooks, IIRC, can be 24 pages/sides and still be A4 centre stapled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

Thanks... I bought the last one from them by the look of things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.