United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

It's okay to play Turkey in a game, but try not to play a turkey of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Haven't posted for a while, so this should have been on last thread, but hey-ho...

Last game finished was the 'Father Sunshine' scenario from Hakkaa Päälle!: ASL Module 14, with me as the Finn. Lost both my Stugs to a Russian tank ambush (we'd missed the SSR about placing them onboard concealed when a good order Finn had LOS to them), lost the titular ISU 152 to spectacular bad luck (crew bailed out on an immobilisation check, then got obliterated by a crit hit before they could get back in the vehicle), but managed to sneak a win through a gauntlet of fire which necessitated a successful ESB roll to get the last tank off. Good practise for the Intensive Fire tournament next weekend, which features this very scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taught a new wargamer Quatre Bras and Ligny.
He's reading up on the rules for The Library of Napoleonic Battles and we'll either give La Patrie en Danger 1814 or (depending upon the timing) Napoleon's Last Gamble. So hopefully there's another addition to the Young Guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Budapest-Wien scenario for Victory Roads. The Germans attacked cautiously down the right bank of the Danube destroying 2 infantry corps but not exploiting too far out into the Great Alfold.

The soviets only progressed well up the plains on left bank of the Danube. Haltebefehl, panzerfausts and snake eyed dice broke the siege. Defensive reserves stopped the soviet attack near the top of Lake Balaton. More treacherous snake eyed dice halted the move through the western Carpathians.

We agreed an axis victory. There was a route into Budapest through rough terrain which would be easy to defend. 4 corps near Karposvar had open flanks. Indeed another 6 corps around Sekesfehervar had their right flank open and a wafer thin left flank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent some of today finishing another game of Washington's War.

The British won, controlling 8 colonies, despite the game not ending until 1782. The main reason for that was, I think, the fact that the Brits just kept getting hands full of Ops cards, and used them wisely. Instead of pursuing Washington or racing to Philly to disperse Congress, they placed Political Control markers - in ports, along the line from Long Island up to Saratoga, out to Fort Detroit and consolidating control of the southern colonies. Plus, I got Howe and Cornwallis reinforced and dug in like ticks in Delaware and Rhode Island, the two one-space colonies. Not even the arrival of the French, late in '81, could turn things around. As the game ended, the British were getting ground down, but tricksy raids on New Hampshire and Maryland kept the Americans busy, until they just ran out of Ops.

I'm having great fun with this game. The rules are straight forward, the playing time pretty quick, so I can spend more time experimenting with strategy. Next time, I'll try to put an American force down south, and try to spread the Brits thinner...

Edit: I meant 8 colonies under British control, not 9, as I previously wrote. Also should have said that Canada, New York and Connecticut were under no overall control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a game of Fading Glory with my housemate. We played the Waterloo scenario with myself as the French and him as the Allies (he's a anglophile). Narrow loss for the allies. He said he enjoyed it, which I consider a great comment as this was his first hex game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 4 turns of 6 turns scenario in Dien Bien Phu: The Final Gamble before we broke things down today.

This is the first time I've played this game and I'm impressed by the design. The game has a significant learning curve. It is very different from any other game that I have ever played so it took us quite some time to get into the game flow; but once you do, it flows pretty well.

I was impressed by the fast battle resolution and the different strategies that present themselves. The game graphics are subtle but very helpful to game play. The supply situation is almost its own sub-system game.

Looking forward to getting this on the table again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished the '35/36 scenario of Lion of Judah: The War for Ethiopia, 1935-1941 (I have a playtest copy). Italians made decent progress but couldn't take Addis Ababa before the scenario ended - not required for victory, but it's hard to get to 12 VP without the 4 for the capital. The Italian forces advancing from Italian Somaliland swept aside resistance, but the armies from Eritrea fan into difficult resistance centered on the north-central highlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb

Finished my 6 turn learning game of Sword of Rome.

I wasn't expecting the game to be as loose a free-for-all that it turned into.

The game was won by the Gallic tribes, as they managed to stay out of the main fighting, raiding their way through the map and dealing with the occasional Transalpine Gaul incursion.

Rome was teamed up on early and often. They had a first turn disasterous combat vs. the Etruscans over Sutrium and was quickly torn apart by the sharks.

I'm not sure what to do with Carthage and the Greeks. They spent most of the game angrily pointing fingers over Sicily. I think I needed to exercise the naval rules more to have Carthage exert more chaos over the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically an October post, but the gf and I did a session of Space Empires: 4X over several days in the last week of the month, finishing up this weekend.

Whereas previously, we tried out the small, limited 2p map, we decided to go nuts and populate the entire thing. The game was lopsided towards me as her struggles were characterized by an early 4th or 5th turn reveal of a Doomsday Machine that wreaked havoc on her fleet and captured most of her attention. As a result, I was able to tech up and build up quite quickly to Battleships (one ship class away from Dreadnaughts), slowly lumbering my way towards her home planet.

After hours and hours, the Doomsday Machine was gone, and I had finally arrived at her doorstep. Unable to tech up to a decent defense, she instead surprised me with an ungodly stack of Mines which promptly destroyed most of my fleet. At that point, I had nothing as I gambled everything on my offense, but at the same time, she had gambled everything on her defense, so we were essentially back to square one minus a few rogue fleets wreaking havoc on each others' colonies.

Instead of calling it quits, she insisted on continuing and the game pretty much became a slog. There were no more unexplored areas to temper the time and so it became a monotonous war of attrition as I would constantly send battleships to her homespace, crippling her economy in the process, while she focused on defensive technologies. It got to the point where I argued that it would inevitably be my win, but it would take an insane amount of time as the best I could do was constantly chip away at her instead of outright obliterating her off the map.

So... we agreed to simply end the game after something like 18-20 hours. Never again will we play the whole map like that. Yeesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Two games of...

On separate days. The first game was a learning game where the Soviet destroyers didn't fire a single salvo at the NATO subs. The second game was closer and a lot more tense. One NATO sub sunk and the other damaged, but four out of the six ice stations destroyed so a NATO victory.

Think a mixture of Alistair MacLean and James Bond in terms of the plot line.

I thought this was a decent game and offers something a little different. Not sure how many times it will get played but at £26 was happy with my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I finished scenario 2 of Panzer Grenadier: First Axis. The Hungarians finally forced the Slovaks off the road on turn 23 (of 24). Despite the number of turns, this was a quick playing scenario because of the small number of units and the relatively few things the Slovaks can do. Good fun, though.

Scenario 3 is now set up and ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Dandelion, Dandelion
badge
and more Dandelion
mb
loving Washington's War these days. Played out a FTF game a few weeks ago, and studied & played the game solo last weekend in preparation for a rematch this Friday. like that despite the relatively simple ruleset, there's so much to think about every turn. I'm still getting used to switching my strategies up fairly regularly, and not sticking to a southern (or northern) push when the cards and/or opponent push back too haed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb

11.5 hours of a knock down, drag out fight. We arrived at 9AM, started at 10AM, and finished at 9:30 at night.

Around 7 hours into it, one of the guys called his wife and said, "We should be wrapping up in about 10 minutes." The 9th turn the other team was ahead 10-15 and one of the other players kept on saying, "I don't see how they can win." On the 9th turn I managed to take a city that the other side had held all game and blitz through their exposed rear. We took two cities and two towns to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb

A battle from the New Guinea battle pack with my weekly opponent,

Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb

My run of a few wins continues with a Japanese win at night against a well entrenched ANZAC force.

Despite a lot of wire getting laid down in the Japanese path, the Allied HMG kept breaking down and the Japanese just seemed to have too many advance and ambush orders and actions at precisely the right moment to overwhelm the defenders.

Note that another win just means when the inevitable fall does come, it's going to be a very hard one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game of Twilight Struggle, another defeat. USSR, USA, makes no difference to me. In this game, I played the Soviets, and while I was able to explode out into Asia and Africa, clever timing of scoring plays allowed the US to get VPs up in the 10-12 area by Turn 2. That's obviously not a good thing. I was able to extend the game to Turn 9, and even to pull into control of much of the world, but there was never much chance I could recoup my initial sloppy play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meuse Argonne: The Final Offensive

Allies won on the penultimate turn (Nov 9-10), taking two weeks to advance the final few miles to Sedan against stiffening German resistance.

Nice game, good value for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Panzergruppe Guderian for the first time in a long time (6 yrs).
Game was okay with German win but it felt kind of bland. Wondering if I will ever return to it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Martin

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
I recognize this report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Game was okay with German win but it felt kind of bland. Wondering if I will ever return to it again.

I will replay this game soon to get me "In the mood": I intend to start designing a new game series of battles about the Russian Front, and that one encounter is in my cross-hairs. Will probably do these in a "Quadrigame" or "DualGame" format. Starting with battles on the Northern part of Russia, then Central, then South, 41-44.

First pack:

- Velikie Luki 42-43
- Demiansk 42-43
- Leningrad 41-43
- Finland 39-40

Second Pack:

- Smolensk 41
- Moscow 41-42
- Rzhev 42-43 (Operation Mars)
- Smolensk 44 (Operation Bagration)

Etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
catosulla wrote:

I will replay this game soon to get me "In the mood": I intend to start designing a new game series of battles about the Russian Front, and that one encounter is in my cross-hairs. Will probably do these in a "Quadrigame" or "DualGame" format. Starting with battles on the Northern part of Russia, then Central, then South, 41-44.

First pack:

- Velikie Luki 42-43
- Demiansk 42-43
- Leningrad 41-43
- Finland 39-40

Second Pack:

- Smolensk 41
- Moscow 41-42

Etc...

I had no idea you were thinking of more quadrigames than just a northern Russia one. Hopefully this project gains momentum, because I love the quadrigame format. Fading glory comes off my shelf often for a quick game with veteran and new wargamers alike. What inspired you to do a quadrigame format in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
blitz through their exposed rear

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools

Soloed the first scenario of Ancients II. A fun simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:

11.5 hours of a knock down, drag out fight. We arrived at 9AM, started at 10AM, and finished at 9:30 at night.

Around 7 hours into it, one of the guys called his wife and said, "We should be wrapping up in about 10 minutes." The 9th turn the other team was ahead 10-15 and one of the other players kept on saying, "I don't see how they can win." On the 9th turn I managed to take a city that the other side had held all game and blitz through their exposed rear. We took two cities and two towns to win the game.

Such a great game. Easy to play, and fun. Getting the four players is always the problem for me, but if you have the group, it's as good as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltediz43 wrote:
licinius wrote:
catosulla wrote:

First pack:

- Velikie Luki 42-43
- Demiansk 42-43
- Leningrad 41-43
- Finland 39-40

Second Pack:

- Smolensk 41
- Moscow 41-42

Etc...

I had no idea you were thinking of more quadrigames than just a northern Russia one. Hopefully this project gains momentum, because I love the quadrigame format. Fading glory comes off my shelf often for a quick game with veteran and new wargamers alike. What inspired you to do a quadrigame format in the first place?

Well, each battle will be too small to warrant a complete game, so I regrouped them. PLUS this will allow me to put out more "games" faster, instead of waiting forever for each one to be published. Plus this allows me to "sneak" into the package some battles that would otherwise attact less interest as a stand-alone product. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.