Subject: About drafting. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I have tried all the premade decks and I was considering the draft mode for the next games.

My only fear is the randomness of the different type of cards. I mean... what if there will be only a few allies in the 18 cards?

I was wondering about a sort of more balanced draft... something like drafting cards from different piles (ally, spells, etc) but I haven't made-up anything yet.

Has anyone tried the draft mode written on the rulebook?
Is the game balanced and satisfying??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod_XXII wrote:
Hello,
I have tried all the premade decks and I was considering the draft mode for the next games.

My only fear is the randomness of the different type of cards. I mean... what if there will be only a few allies in the 18 cards?

I was wondering about a sort of more balanced draft... something like drafting cards from different piles (ally, spells, etc) but I haven't made-up anything yet.

Has anyone tried the draft mode written on the rulebook?
Is the game balanced and satisfying??

I have tried the drafting in the rulebook, both 2p and 4p

its interesting. between allies and conjurations, enough creatures wernt really a problem. the decks do end up fairly random but playable. you do get a card swap at the end to remove a potentially useless card (ie bring forth without a false demon)

I wouldn't separate the cards into types really, it makes the draft far more complex without much added benefit. some changes I would make though, I don't like drafting dice. IMO it is better to have extras of the dice and let people choose their dice set. I know not everyone can do this (especially since they are not available separately yet.) something else you may want to consider although I haven't tried it yet is drafting say 12 cards instead of 9 and having a slight deck building phase to get down to 30 cards. this will increase time by adding the deckbuilding but may result in more balanced decks and help with your ally concern.

EDIT: by far my favorite play mode though is constructed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
something else you may want to consider although I haven't tried it yet is drafting say 12 cards instead of 9 and having a slight deck building phase to get down to 30 cards

I had the same idea just few minutes ago... I'm going to try with a large card pool. 12 could be a good number as you have suggested.

Klaxas wrote:
by far my favorite play mode though is constructed.

I see. We have only one set so it's not possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod_XXII wrote:

Klaxas wrote:

Sure it is, you just can't share cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Mod_XXII wrote:

Klaxas wrote:

Sure it is, you just can't share cards.

Yes, you're right but I talked about the possibility to use ALL the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the draft as written in the rules and I worked nice.

Well, you have to consider very well which dice you take.

The two games we did were too fast as well... maybe cause the pre-made decks are more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened in our latest game sadly. We had ONLY 3 ally in the draft pool.

I left - WHAT A LOSER! AHAH! - all 3 ally to my adversary and he, of course, erased me!

So we ended up thinking about a different draft with a large pool of card available.

We tried a Dark Draft.
Everyone takes 4 cards: take 1 pass 3.
Then take 1 and discard 2.
Repeat for 5 times everyones ends with 10 card.
Discard one.

With this draft the pool grows from 18 cards to 40 and the choices are more.

We didn't play the two decks but the selection was easier (you have to consider careful the dice you'll need as well) and the decks seemed stronger to me.

We are going to play the decks the next time we play but to me this draft is better the the one in the rule-book. I don't really see any con at moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.