Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried a playtest of this game with two (one ghost, one psychic). I can appreciate this isn't the most riveting number to approach this game with, so I have every intention of playing it again with more. However, one thing seemed off, and this relates to any player count:

The timer is only started when the final card is distributed, yet distribution is done face-up, and the rules say the psychics can start immediately. Doesn't this gives a disproportionate amount of time to the first psychic compared to the last to receive their vision?

In reading the rules this didn't strike me as odd, but upon play, I was surprised (as the ghost) how much time it took to distribute the visions (maybe it was poor luck, but this aspect of the game was much harder than I expected).

So, I guess my question is, am I alone in seeing this as weird? Sure, Mysterium is a co-op, the normal defense of imbalance between players, but in this instance it still has a negative impact on the team. In a full game (6 psychics max, right?) it could take ages for the final psychic to get their cards in a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The timer is basically just a formality to end the round at some point and give some motivation for people to place their guesses. It also encourages the Ghost player to give cards earlier to people who take longer (if possible).

Having played 6-player Mysterium, it can take a while for all cards to be dealt out but it's usually not a big deal and if people are taking a while there's no problem waiting a bit to flip the timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lelo Arrowsmith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Also, remember that while each psychic has to make their own final decision, the group as a whole should try to work out what each vision means together. So the timer is for everyone to figure out the last vision, finalize their decisions on all visions, and do their clairvoyance voting.

Many people play without the timer.
We only use the timer if people are dithering and indecisive. For example they have decided that it is one of two choices but they refuse to commit to one of the choices. So for us, it is up to the ghost to think, "the game is going too slow due to AP" and s/he starts the timer at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.