UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Update 3/11/2015

Mantic have issued an update with a revised pdf copy of the Adventurer's Companion with many of the errors rectified. Although the following seems to be outstanding.

♦ The description for 'shield bash' has been renamed to 'Slam' but the change is not mentioned.
♦ The descriptions for "Marksman(*)" and "Deft Throw (*)" are missing
♦ Witch and Dwarf Engineer Classes Missing from Adventurers Companion
♦ Still has a see page XXX - Page 16 - under "end of the round."
♦ Page 17 in the "Dying for the Cause" box out: "...Most of them will die and early and messy death...", should be "...Most of them will die an early and messy death..."
♦ On page 20 of the AC, in the red boxout under "Step 1: Roll dice" it says "-1 dice if the model is Injured (see page 18).", page 18 is to do with movement (as this text is a direct copy from the main rulebook).
♦ Page 56: Madriga has the "Focus" feat title instead of "Hail of Arrows" (correct description though)
♦ Page 90: Boomer and Shooter Ogres stats are exactly the same(?).
♦ None of the Bad guys list a range for their shooting dice eventhough it specifically says on page 22 that they do.
♦ No in depth background section describing the Mantica setting and the races that inhabit it as promised in update #40.
♦ Page 84: Hypnotic Gaze: [show image]
♦ Typo page 20 : "In the above diagram Orlaf the Barbarian doesn’t have an enemy in his frort arc."
Heroes of Mantica section
♦ Pg 57 Arianya profile features no shooting dice or range (should be Shooting Dice = 2 & Short Range
♦ Pg 59 Ally McSween has been designated shooting range as Long (this should be Short Range)

Professions section
♦ Pg 49 Fighter levelling options, at LVL 4 one of the options is +1 Dice with no distinction if it should be a Combat or Shooting dice increase
♦ Pg 49 Fighter levelling options (Again), at LVL 9 one of the options is +1 Shooting Dice with no range designated
♦ Pg 50 Paladin levelling options, at LVL 4 one of the options is +1 Dice with no distinction if it should be a Combat or Shooting dice increase
♦ Pg 51 Thief levelling options, at LVL 10 the concept art is blocking out the range distinction for the +1 Shooting Dice option

+++ERRATA+++
♦ Pg 47 Demon Hunter levelling options has 3 options for +1 Shooting Dice (Short) and only 1 option for +1 Shooting Dice (Long) - is this correct or should it be 2 options for each Short and Long ranges?

♦ Elf stats in the Bestiary are all messed up with two stats in armour column and only one in the combat column, even for the archer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dungeon-saga...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems there are many, many errors in the Adventurer's Companion so I though I'd start a thread pointing them all out. If you find any then post here and I'll add them to the list.

Perhaps Mantic will rewrite the Companion and either give it to backers or sell it to backers at a greatly reduced cost.

♦ There are "(see page XXX)" references everywhere.
♦ Page 13: In the 'Selecting Heroes' boxout, under Movement it says 'see page 12' (for movement), Movement is on page 18. The reason for this is it is exactly the same text that's in the DS Rulebook in which the Movement IS on page 12.
♦ Page 23: damage is on page 24, not 22 as listed
♦ Page 27: there is an [Insert Picture] text in one of the paragraphs
♦ Page 42: The race Sylph has the text for the Salamander.
♦ Page 52: The text for the Wizard ends with some text for the Paladin.
♦ The description for 'shield bash' ability seems to be missing.
♦ The descriptions for "Marksman(*)" and "Deft Throw (*)" are missing
♦ Witch and Dwarf Engineer Classes Missing from Adventurers Companion
♦ Page 17 in the "Dying for the Cause" box out: "...Most of them will die and early and messy death...", should be "...Most of them will die an early and messy death..."
♦ Boomer and Shooter Ogres are exactly the same.
♦ None of the Bad guys list a range for their shooting dice eventhough it specifically says on page 22 that they do.
♦ No in depth background section describing the Mantica setting and the races that inhabit it as promised in update #40.
♦ Page 84: Hypnotic Gaze: [show image]
♦ Typo page 20 : "In the above diagram Orlaf the Barbarian doesn’t have an enemy in his frort arc."
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they not bother to proof read this stuff?

Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:

Yikes!

Maybe proofreading was the $1.1m stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

More reported on the Mantic DS Forum (I don't have my pledge yet - UK):

P23: damage is on page 24, not 22 as listed
P27: there is an [Insert Picture] text in one of the paragraphs
P77: an "entertaining" joke about people maybe noticing two step 1's.

taken from here:
https://manticforum.com/forum/dwarf-king-s-hold/general-disc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
krztoff wrote:
fentum wrote:

Yikes!

Maybe proofreading was the $1.1m stretch goal.

Or the printer accidentally used an older version of the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ezeqiel, I've added them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 28 shows images of Lock tokens with a numerical value for the number of lock-picking actions required. Unless I've had a mispack (or missing the point somehow), I have no such tokens in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blanthorn
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
The lock tokens came in the dragon expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blanthorn
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Also a description for 'shield smash'ability seems to be missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Shield bash" you mean?
yeah,it's not in the AC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glitzyguy69 wrote:
The lock tokens came in the dragon expansion.

Ok thanks. Seems a bit odd to feature something in the AC but have it appear in a different expansion instead. Although I shouldn't be too surprised with all the QA issues we've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! I have had this on pre-order for months (missed the kickstarter) and am really surprised to hear that there are so many errors. Are they mostly little things that it is pretty obvious what it is supposed to be and it is just the a typo, poor grammar, wrong page number etc. or are the issues more substantial limiting your ability to play the game?

I ordered for solo co-op play and already know that the section for that and the random dungeon (another part I am very interested in) is really short and apparently has a fair amount of rule ambiguity

For those of you who have dealt with Mantic before are they good about answering rules questions and problems like this on the BGG forum?

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
"Shield bash" you mean?
yeah,it's not in the AC.

Who has the ability? It was in DKH: Green Menace but the wording there is exactly the same as the Slam ability that is in the Chaos Dwarf entry that they previewed for the AC back in August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
michael4928 wrote:

For those of you who have dealt with Mantic before are they good about answering rules questions and problems like this on the BGG forum?

They're active in their own forums, https://manticforum.com/.

Not so much here.

This is rather depressing. They've done many of these kickstarter projects, and there have been problems with all of them. Some of them (missing pieces, badly packed) have seemingly not gotten better with time. A real bummer. I want so badly to support this company, but they just can't get this stuff straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like all the work went into the base game, which looks quite polished.

The AC seems to be hacked and stitched together so far and is riddled with errors, which is a shame for Mantics' quality control (and for players like me which really were looking forward to the AC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make the final decision when I've looked over everything myself, but I'm pretty sure I'm never backing anything else from Mantic. Unlikely I'll buy anything at retail either. This kind of amateur hour quality control makes me doubt the effort put into the whole project. It's way easier to proofread a rulebook than design an actual balanced and fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I read a thread like this I'm stunned that the designers didn't take advantage of the Kickstarter and BGG fans who were willing to help make the game great, by offering the prototype rulebook for proofreading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting for the "game bubble."
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what I'm seeing here, the right thing to do would be for Mantic to reprint the Adventurers Companion and send the corrected copies to KS backers and retailers. What an embarrassment for them and a disappointment for me. I was going to invest in the system but have decided to wait until a revised book comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
I'll make the final decision when I've looked over everything myself, but I'm pretty sure I'm never backing anything else from Mantic. Unlikely I'll buy anything at retail either. This kind of amateur hour quality control makes me doubt the effort put into the whole project. It's way easier to proofread a rulebook than design an actual balanced and fun game.

Welcome to the world of Kickstarter - where "pay in advance for promises" finally becomes reality...

devildevildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
silverbowen wrote:

Welcome to the world of Kickstarter - where "pay in advance for promises" finally becomes reality...

devildevildevil

I am in the same boat having pre-ordered this several months ago... that being said I have done a few kickstarters to get updated stuff and corrected rulebooks etc. as well as smaller games that would not be published without a kickstarter. I tend to not like the whole concept of kickstarters where established companies just use it to maximize profits and minimize risks and there seems to be some questions of accountability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
where established companies just use it to maximize profits and minimize risks
The funny thing is, I don't mind this at all. That's how you fucking run a company. Would you really trust your money with a company that minimized profits and maximized risk? Doing a Kickstarter lets a company know very decisively what people want. Do people want the next greatest dungeon tromper? Apparently yes! What gets me is when the results come out being not nearly as professional as one would actually expect from said established company. Anyone here also got in on Myth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
Belsamoreth wrote:
"Shield bash" you mean?
yeah,it's not in the AC.

Who has the ability? It was in DKH: Green Menace but the wording there is exactly the same as the Slam ability that is in the Chaos Dwarf entry that they previewed for the AC back in August.

the dwarf can gain "shield bash" at some level.
But i think it's only written here,so,i am sure it means to be "smash" instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to regret backing this KS... it was first big KS project and it looks like I'm being taken for an idiot with some of the being sub standard. I've just read elsewhere on the Mantic Forum that the hard back book is not happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my main disappointment with the error here is that it speaks of a general lack of concern re the AC side of things - full marks for the base set, and possibly expansions, but the AC seems to have been a case of Mantic promising things that seemed to be popular in the comments and then Jake Thornton trying to find a way to make them work after the event. This meant we had things like a promise of Overlord vs AI heroes that Jake couldnt make work, for example.

One thing I seem to recall Ronnie being quite keen to push was the idea this would be a game that involved the community in how the rules developed, but this didnt really seem to come to pass - the irony being that even if the community had been given a look at the rules fait accompli, it would have saved them a lot of face.

Perhaps if they had made good on getting more people involved, we might have had a bit more QC on stuff like this, as well as maybe a bit more of an enthusiastic implementation of some of the bits that you sense Jake didnt feel fitted, but were going in regardless.

As an example, having looked through the solo rules and how they might combine with the uncharted dungeon, they feel incomplete with regards to what monsters you would find in any given situation. I can think of a couple of easy solutions to this issue that could have been inbuilt to the event or trap cards for example, just from a cursory glance at what we have (which looks like it will work OK, but will leave a few of these areas vague when there was no need)

as others have said, Mantic did seem to try and capture lightning again by running into more KS campaigns, when maybe they would ahve been better taking a bit more care, or getting a bit more input, on this one.

That said, I'm pretty happy with what I have in terms of tiles, figures and furniture, and I know the core rules from DKH are pretty solid. I fear I will ahve to put in a bit more effort than I should ahve to get the promised solo/uncharted combo to work as well as I'd like though.

One thing that isnt an error so much in the AC, but is a bit weird, is that skills that only have an effect in combat situations such as "nimble" are not listed in the combat skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
michael4928 wrote:
where established companies just use it to maximize profits and minimize risks
The funny thing is, I don't mind this at all. That's how you fucking run a company. Would you really trust your money with a company that minimized profits and maximized risk? Doing a Kickstarter lets a company know very decisively what people want. Do people want the next greatest dungeon tromper? Apparently yes! What gets me is when the results come out being not nearly as professional as one would actually expect from said established company. Anyone here also got in on Myth?

I pretty much stick to only well established companies that have a history of delivering what they promise (CMON comes to mind). I backed Myth 2.0 for the reprinted rules and cards, but have already sold off my original pledge (backed Mercs as well; by the time Myth 2.0 launched I wasn't feeling comfortable with their handling of that one anymore).

Like others, the AC was an important part of this for me. I pledged at a high enough level to get the hardback. Having it riddled with errors really takes the shine of the product as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.