Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Merfolk
No one knows the oceans more intimately than the Merfolk. These mysterious beings manipulate their own power levels to score bases, making them worthy of careful attention.

----
DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION: http://1drv.ms/1NBk81d
----

anomia1 wrote:
The Merfolk are a pure control faction. My friends and I have played them many times over during the past 5-6 months and it is very well balanced, which is what we are most concerned about. Merfolks have a talent called "Tap," which is a little difficult to explain but is quite simple while actually playing the game. It works like this: On your turn, you may either tap OR untap each individual Merfolk minion (you can't do both).

Development:
These Merfolk are a remix collaboration with anomia1, who originally created these guys over at this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1388305/custom-merfolk-fact...
He developed the original mechanics, and we've worked together to tweak their mechanic until it's just about as good as it'll get. I've created an updated version of the artwork, as well as tweaked 3-4 cards, mostly minions. Overall, much of what's here is anomia1's origianl work or our collaboration. I did update a lot of the artwork and several of the names.

Stats:

Minions: 12
Actions: 8
Avg. M.P.: 2.5
Deck Type: Disruption/Support

Card List:
Actions:
Deluge (1x): Play on a base. Ongoing: For each tapped Merfolk in play, increase the breakpoint of this base by 2.
Drowner of Hope (1x): Special: before a base scores, untap any two Merfolk and gain control of an opponent's minion until the end of the turn.
Out of the Depths (1x): Untap up to 2 Merfolk to play a power 2 Merfolk from your discard pile as an extra minion.
Tightening Coils (1x): Special: Prevent an action from affecting any of your minions of power 2 or less.
Turning the Tides (1x): Untap all Merfolk on one base and give them +1 power until the end of the turn. Special: play this card before a base scores.
Will of the Waters (1x): Play on a minion. Ongoing: When this minion is untapped, choose an opponent's minion of power 3 or less and use its ability.
Siren's Song (2x): Search your deck for two different Merfolk of power 3 or less and play them as extra minions on separate bases.

Minions:
4 - Lord of Atlantis (1x): Tap or Untap a Merfolk minion, Ongoing: all tapped Merfolk have +2 power.
3 - Trident Master (2x): Ongoing: This minion gains +2 power when there are at least two tapped Merfolk at this base.
3 - Shorestalker (2x): Talent: Tap or Untap. Ongoing: When you tap this minion, move another player's minion from here to another base.
2 - Wake Thrasher (3x): Talent: Tap or Untap. Ongoing: When you tap this minion, give 2 minions here -2 power until you untap this minion.
2 - Deep Sea Courier (2x): Talent: Tap or Untap. Ongoing: When you tap this minion, draw two cards.
2 - Spellbinder (2x): Talent: Tap or Untap. Ongoing: When you tap this minion, deactivate the ability of another minion here until you Untap this minion.

Bases:

I've added some bases but haven't play-tested these, so they may not be especially balanced. Play at your own risk

Printing:
These are made to be printed at Printer's Studio or MakePlayingCards, and come with bleed pre-added to the images. Just drag and drop them in and you should be good to go.

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION: http://1drv.ms/1NBk81d

Here are some high-quality previews of the cards:

Where I could find the original artist's name, I credited them, otherwise I just put a general 'Magic the Gathering.' I got most of the artwork from individual artists at www.artofmtg.com/ -- the rest is from Bing image searches.

Enjoy!!

Note: These cards are released into the public domain insofar as I have the power to do so. Source files are available on request. On my end, I withhold nothing preventing AEG from licensing Magic the Gathering and using these ideas in an official set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Merfolk Faction Remix (Print-ready, with bases)
Wow these cards look gorgeous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks man. I'm not an MTG player myself, so it was cool to go trawling through the artwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
This is really quite awesome. Thank you for this rendition!

I prefer your drowner of hope to my psychic transfer, as it may indeed be better to make it "any two Merfolk" rather than "two Merfolk on that base" since the original can be rather difficult to pull off. I do, however, believe you need to add the word "there," else according to the reading of the card, you can gain control of an opponent's minion on any base!

I prefer your wording of Spellbinder, which I believe is an upgrade to the original. The original only allowed you to deactivate Ongoing abilities and specials, while the rendition allows you to deactivate Ongoing abilities, specials, and talents. Is this correct? I also do not mind that is only on the same base now.

I also prefer your Will of the Waters. Nice job!

I do not prefer your version of Sirens Song. I'm confused why you don't prefer the original? It allows you to get two Merfolk out to enable cards like "seahunter," drowner of hope, and would even combo well with "The Islands." I think this rendition isn't uniquely "Merfolk" any longer. I read your comments/concerns on Sirens Song in the other post, and I am writing you a private message with a simpler idea. So check your inbox asap.

I do not prefer your Out of the Depths as I think it's too powerful and no longer uniquely "Merfolk."

Btw, I use red/orange marble gems for +1 counters (far superior to using score tokens for power tokens...) and black marble gems for -1 counters. Therefore, when we use Merfolk of the Pearl Trident, we simply put 2 black marble gems on one minion, then 2 black marble gems on another to indicate which minions are targeted. Pairs nicely with a Pirate's Cannonball thereafter . A major (if not the major) theme of the Merfolk deck is to manipulate your opponents' minions in a variety of ways (-2 power, deactivation, movement, control, mimic), but by adding another "movement" card (courier + shorestalker) I fear that the deck will begin to feel more closely related to Pirates and Bears. Would the -1 black marble gems (or a similar counter) convince you to add Pearl Trident back into the mix or have you decided against it?

Interested in reading your comments. Moreover, I'm sending you that inbox message as mentioned above.

Just for you and anyone else reading this post, my name isn't really Alan Sharvo, its just an alias. whistle

Love your work, talk to you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
I prefer your drowner of hope to my psychic transfer, as it may indeed be better to make it "any two Merfolk" rather than "two Merfolk on that base" since the original can be rather difficult to pull off. I do, however, believe you need to add the word "there," else according to the reading of the card, you can gain control of an opponent's minion on any base!

My thought was that by making the power requirement any two merfolk, it would make it more likely for the card to be used. Doesn't adding 'there' essentially keep the same requirement (merfolk at the scoring base) since who would want to take control of a minion outside of the scoring base? I wasn't sure on how to eliminate that ambiguity. Any thoughts?

Yes, I upgraded Spellbinder to keep the wording concise (any minion's printed ability, basically), and added the base to limit the power (although I'm not seeing that on my card now, wonder where it went)

Responded to Siren's Song in the PM

For Out of the Depths, I found that I was never untapping enough merfolk to make the card useful -- it was just getting discarded. Any special action that untapped minions was the most I was untapping, but then that action counted as my action and I never had an opportunity to play Out of the Depths. I made it more general in hopes of using it more often (worked better when I changed to this, althought maybe I'm not playing the tapping/untapping to full potential)

I love your idea for power counters. I'm going to buy some of those as soon as I can -- allows for positive as well as negative, and isn't confusing by being the same as the power counters. Great idea, makes things tidier!

I changed Courier because of the lack of an easy way to convey -2 power (we were just laying the Courier on top of the lowered minions, which is very messy). Power counters solves this completely, so I'll change the card back to its original ability.

Excited about this! I'll get an updated version of the cards out later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Also, do you have any thoughts on the bases? Totally open to different power counts or base abilities. I came up with those pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathon Stanford-Carey
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ahhhh, this seems so awesome! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
v1.1
anomia1 and I are working together to continue to update and tweak this faction.

What's New:
- 'Channeling' action removed, replaced with 'Watery Grave'
- 'Siren's Song' action tweaked for power adjustments
- 'Wave Courier' minion reverted to original ability
- 'Out of the Depths' action tweaked for versatility

New Card:

Download:
http://1drv.ms/1WD5uQX (original post updated as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
v1.2
While we may make a few minor changes, v1.2 should be considered playable and ready to print.

What's New:
- Changed all tappable minions to show 0 power when tapped, instead of negative version of original power
- Renamed 'Watery Grave' to 'Deluge'
- New artwork for 'Trident Master,' power lowered to 3
- Power for Lord of Atlantis corrected to 4 (previously there was a typo)
- 'Out of the Depths' action buffed

Download:
http://1drv.ms/1RETl7L (original post updated as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
v1.3
None of these changes affect playability.

What's New:
- Renamed "Deep Sea Diver" to "Wake Thrasher"
- Renamed "Wave Courier" to "Deep Sea Courier"
- Swapped the above two minion's abilities so that their artwork matched their action better.

New Cards:

Download:
http://1drv.ms/1OxU0dk (original post updated as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Updated the original post to include Stat card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
v1.4
No gameplay changes.

What's New:
- Updated font to Filmotype Modern.
- Updated faction symbol.
- Includes source.psd file

Download:
http://1drv.ms/1NBk81d

Faction Stat Card:
Updated as suggested to include deck type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christophe PETITJEAN
France
LYON
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for including the psd. When I have time (and photoshop ...), I'll try to translate factions in french.
And thanks for keeping an history of changes for each faction, it will make the things easier to update.

Any news about the revamp of the Puppeteers ? Or the Gunslinger (I prefer that name) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.