Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the investigator who drew the other world encounter card immediately encounter it? Can he/she evade it using spells or sneak or does combat start immediately?

I'm assuming that if I defeat it, I get it as a token, otherwise it goes to a cup.

However, what happens if I lose? When either sanity or health go to zero, what happens to me? Since I'm in another world, does that mean I'm devoured or do I just get lost in time and space? If I'm lost in time and space, where do I set my sanity or stamina? When I return to Arkham from lost in time and space, does that count as the other world as being explored?

Why are the rules so confusing? >.<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Why are the rules so confusing? >.<

They are cleverly designed to reduce your sanity to zero.

If you encounter a monster in another world you can either:

Evade: a successful evade puts the monster back into the cup, otherwise it does combat damage as usual.

Fight: If you kill it, you get the trophy but if you are reduced to zero sanity or stamina then you are Lost in Time and Space (LITAS) with 1 stamina or sanity (as appropriate).

Returning to Arkham from LITAS does not count as explored.

My advice for the rules would be to find time between games to read the rulebook, rather than trying to look them up as you play.

You could also try this version of the rules http://www.orderofgamers.com/arkham-horror-v7-1/ These people do a great job re-writing rulebooks and I don't know why FFG doesn't just hire them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Priddy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that while the game is fun, they might have some better time at rearranging some of the rules or cleaning things up some.

You are looking on page 22 for dealing with the monster (outer worlds or card encounters of the monster appearing is the same) & page 16 in the investigator status if you get defeated in the outer worlds. Good luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the AH rulebook was written in two sections.

The idea was that the first section would cover rules that players had to know at the beginning of the game, and the second half would provide more detail.

This is a nice theory, but in practice it means that closely related rules are not grouped together and the rulebook is very difficult to use for reference.

Don't despair, though. There are a lot of different mechanisms to learn about, but none of them are really hard to understand; once you get a grip on the game, it plays very smoothly, with little or no need to open the rulebook.

(One thing I do like to point out to new players is that the complete rules for flying monsters do not appear in the body of the rues; they are spelled out, instead, in the example text on pg. 11.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links and info. And I have read the rulebooks back to back. But there's so much info there that it's impossible to remember every single detail, which is why I go back and use it as reference during play. However, the rulebook doesn't do a good job as a reference book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Thanks for the links and info. And I have read the rulebooks back to back. But there's so much info there that it's impossible to remember every single detail, which is why I go back and use it as reference during play. However, the rulebook doesn't do a good job as a reference book.

That is true, but if you read it in small bites, little and often, it will sink in.

If you feel like you are getting bogged down in rules during the game, if you can't find the answer in 2 minutes then simply make a ruling and look it up later. With Arkham you want to err on the side of "this game wants to chew me up and spit me out" so I generally suggest that you assume the worst when making a ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a monster knocks you unconscious/insane in an Other World you're lost in time and space. You're not devoured unless the Ancient One is Yog Sothoth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually apply a small house rule when the card doesn't just read "A monster appears!", but "A monster appears and attacks!". In that case, I won't allow investigators to try and evade. They have no choice but to fight (at least one round), the idea being that the monster has already spotted them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mortimer Brewster

Gold Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
Not necessarily, just as thematic would be this; the monsters live in this OW or are passing through just like you. You see it before it sees you and evade it, or try to evade. That's part of what I like about this game. You have a lot of options on how you play your investigators. Walters is a spell casting glass cannon but he's also a ninja at evading. It's using all the skills and filling in the narrative that builds the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.