Subject: Mysterium and the iPhone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
So last night was the first time we played Mysterium with the full compliment of 7 players. As I was setting up the game I realized that it was going to be difficult for some folks to view all of the cards on the table. There were 3 players all sitting side by side and our one roamers who was standing behind them and each of them could study the tabled cards in detail. But the two folks sitting closer to the ends of the table were either standing up themselves, or kneeling on their chairs and leaning over the cards to get a sideways glance.

Then one of these players pulled out her iPhone. She quickly snapped photos of all the tabled cards and then happily sat back scrolling through them. And because she could even zoom in on the details I think she likely had a better view than the rest of us 50+ half-blind participants.

So how do you all set up Mysterium to optimize viewing in a 7p game?

Have you ever had someone utilize their iPhone in this matter to enhance their gaming experience?

Finally, is this type of problem just begging for an app that doesn't have 6 people huddled over a 1'x 1' gaming area? (I am fully expecting to be burned at the stake for even suggesting such a thing.)

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Our players pick up the cards, turn them upside-down, bicker, and pass them around. No need to have the cards in a neat row until the round is ending and tokens are being placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:
Our players pick up the cards, turn them upside-down, bicker, and pass them around. No need to have the cards in a neat row until the round is ending and tokens are being placed.

Hey Bret. Thanks for the feedback!

That seems like it would be awful confusing. Turing cards upside-down? As in, "I'm sure this one is mine so don't let it distract you?"

I thought six people passing around their ghost impressions was chaotic enough without also passing around the tabled cards. But perhaps I am underestimating the organizational skill of your average psychic. We could absolutely give that a try.

This sounds like I am always going to be the ghost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Mason
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With our 7 players I have a rectangular shaped table so the ghost sits at the head of the table and three on each side. Everyone could see all cards fine. There was no need to pass anything around unless someone wanted to pick up a card for closer inspection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Amy!

So do you set up so everyone is looking at the cards sideways? That was where I was initially heading in my setup. For some reason I didn't continue that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexille Voxhalyn
msg tools
HealthyGamingNetwork wrote:
So last night was the first time we played Mysterium with the full compliment of 7 players. As I was setting up the game I realized that it was going to be difficult for some folks to view all of the cards on the table. There were 3 players all sitting side by side and our one roamers who was standing behind them and each of them could study the tabled cards in detail. But the two folks sitting closer to the ends of the table were either standing up themselves, or kneeling on their chairs and leaning over the cards to get a sideways glance.

Then one of these players pulled out her iPhone. She quickly snapped photos of all the tabled cards and then happily sat back scrolling through them. And because she could even zoom in on the details I think she likely had a better view than the rest of us 50+ half-blind participants.

So how do you all set up Mysterium to optimize viewing in a 7p game?

Have you ever had someone utilize their iPhone in this matter to enhance their gaming experience?

Finally, is this type of problem just begging for an app that doesn't have 6 people huddled over a 1'x 1' gaming area? (I am fully expecting to be burned at the stake for even suggesting such a thing.)

Thanks for your input!

Wow.. to me that would totally kill the atmosphere of the game.

I'd be the snarky Ghost that would just tell that player to Skype in next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.