Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching Rahdo's videos this game does seem very interesting, but I'd be hesitant to label it as a 4X game.

Yes, there is exploration and you might call the combat extermination. But there's virtually no exploitation and although one of the phases is called "expand", it also falls a bit short of what I'd expect.

Seeing the gameplay, I would call this an adventure game with RPG tie-ins in a sci-fi setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesuvius Media
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Michael, thank for your question

Exploit means players gather and use resources in areas they control, and improve the efficiency of that usage.

Players gather resources (XPM for example) in areas they control (safe areas). As you explore you discover more areas. Keeping them safe gives you more chances for more resources.

Expand means players claim new territory by creating new settlements, or sometimes by extending the influence of existing settlements.

Players create Starbases. Starbases create safe areas and give extra powers to players (scenario based).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're already quoting wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X), maybe we should be a little bit more thorough:

"4X is a genre of strategy-based [...]board games in which players control an empire[...]"

"4X games are noted for their deep, complex gameplay. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy."

I just don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed it but don't consider it to be a 4x game as well.
It simply doesn't feel like it...from what I've seen and read.

No offense, like I said I backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. E. Bardo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps the game doesn't coincide with the generally perceived traditional definitions of a space 4x game but in this case we can take the 4x designation literally in that exploration, extermination, exploitation and expansion are present in some form. The biggest difference that I can tell is that the focus of the players isn't their personal empire but instead a ship/armada which could be looked at as a concentrated mobile empire.

But of course this exercise in semantics, although stimulating, is besides the point. This looks like a fantastic game and I intend to back it whole heartedly. Lets hope we can reach that funding goal and onwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:

"4X games are noted for their deep, complex gameplay. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy."

I don't think 4X games necessarily have to fall into one set category. They can be on the lighter side. Check out Pocket Imperium sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.