Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that these cards can be played DURING Counting. However, the little coin icon in the rules (p.5)specifies that all such marked cards (and these two are so marked) sre played BEFORE Counting begins.

Since the Neighborhoods are numbered 1-4 and counted in order; play of these cards could be strategic for gain or denial of VPs.

If this has been covered elsewhere, thankyou for pointing me to it...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coin symbol means that the card must be played at the beginning of the scoring phase, before the first neighborhood is scored. Once the scoring has begun, it is not possible to play these cards any more.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Curtis
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Ys for the first time this weekend, and had the same question. I'm glad to get a clarification straight from the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Clarke
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LHIM wrote:
The rules state that these cards can be played DURING Counting.

Actually, that's not what the rules state at all.

The rules say: "The Financier: For the duration of the counting phase during which this card has been played, every commercial area yields 1 point for the player who has the majority, instead of 3 poits." (italics to add my emphasis). That is not stating that the Financier card can be played DURING Counting. It is saying that yield for every commerical area is modified (from 3 to 1 point for the majority holder) only DURING THE COUNTING PHASE in which the card was played - as opposed to for all future counting phases as well.

The word DURING pertains not to the playing of the card DURING the counting phase (it is still played at the beginning of the counting phase) but rather that the effect applies DURING the counting phase in which the card was played.

Note that technically all coin cards ARE played DURING counting phases, it's just that they are the first thing that happens DURING a counting phase... the counting phase begins, coin cards are played and then the counting phase continues....

jcurtis55 wrote:
I just played Ys for the first time this weekend, and had the same question. I'm glad to get a clarification straight from the designer.

...Except that William is not the designer. He designed Caylus. Cyril designed Ys. But, William is pretty closely involved with Ystari, so it IS a pretty good official response. I guess if you meant a response from Ystari games when you said "a response from the designer" then this coment is redundant. But since I had my nit picking hat on...

P.S. When are you coming back to New Zealand William?

BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Jesper Edmark
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While one the timing issue already:
When do you play the "coin" cards? Before or after revealing hidden brokers? We are currently playing cards before revealing which makes it a bit more risky business, but I have a nagging feeling that is incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
From the rules : "The card is played at the very beginning of the counting phase."

It means that you play the card before doing anything else (so, before revealing brokers), then the card is active for the remaining of the counting phase (if necessary).

The best way to play this rule is to ask before the counting phase is someone would like to play a card (and also before the "placing brokers phase" for the cards with a character on the top left corner).

REgards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.