Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Simonitch recently said this in his wargame designer of the month thread:

"Phalanx, publisher of Race to the Rhine, has bought the rights to Hannibal and is considering putting Hamilcar into the same box."

Apologies if this is old news, but it's the first I'd heard of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure Joy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the info JD!

source:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20796877#20796877
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if we want Hamilcar we have to rebuy also Hannibal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for you interest. I think I have announced the fact we have acquired the rights to the game yet at Essen Spiel in the BGG booth but apparently the footage from that very day was somehow lost.

We will keep you updated on the project and look forward for the community feedback!

With best regards,

Jaro / Phalanx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanelorn wrote:
So, if we want Hamilcar we have to rebuy also Hannibal?
I will, if "necessary". Great game, worth having three copies and I have not played in over ten years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Sánchez
Spain
LM City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope they include minis and conserve the quality of the excellent VG edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to Phalanx thumbsup
Let's hope we'll also see a reprint in French sometime whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is gonna take some time isn't? I can't really wait, I've wanted this game for some time now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there not probably still a pile of Valley games edition sitting somewhere, along with all their other unsold stock? Does anybody know what has happened to that? Did Phil get it as part of the settlement with RikTor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidallves wrote:
Pure Joy

Indeed; I'm happy that this game will get another print run.

I'd be lying if I said Phalanx was my first choice as publisher; I kinda held out hope GMT would get the rights. But I will reserve judgement for the final product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to keep an eye on this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted ALIVE!

Hello Everyone,

We are searching for Mr Charles Bahl, who was an author of two Hannibal scenarios, published in Vol. 32 of The General. We would love to include the scenarios in the 20th Anniversary Edition of the game.

Best regards,

Jaro
PHALANX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah VG did have a bunch of these that they sold to Tanga for cheap. I haven't seen any for sale so perhaps it is out of stock. I'm happy to see Hamilcar will be printed after all but I'm not sure if the demand is there for a Hannibal reprint.

Oh and please, no miniatures. That was a debacle with Valley Games. Phalanx save yourself the headache. And no one uses miniatures at World Boardgaming Championships for the game that annually draws around 50 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No miniatures.
Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, one advantage of KS is that minis could be an add-on, so those who want them could have them but no one would be forced to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Yeah VG did have a bunch of these that they sold to Tanga for cheap. I haven't seen any for sale so perhaps it is out of stock. I'm happy to see Hamilcar will be printed after all but I'm not sure if the demand is there for a Hannibal reprint.

Oh and please, no miniatures. That was a debacle with Valley Games. Phalanx save yourself the headache. And no one uses miniatures at World Boardgaming Championships for the game that annually draws around 50 players.

Seems to be selling for 100$ + on the marketplace and 467 BGGers have it on their wishlist.

I guess it depends on how large a print run has to be to be profitable.

At least they will have a buyer in me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
el comandante wrote:

We are searching for Mr Charles Bahl, who was an author of two Hannibal scenarios,

A quick Google search turned up he hails from San Jose, then consulting the white pages :

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Charles-V-Bahl/San-Jose-CA/1w...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to play Hamilcar!!! Has it been said for sure that it will be included???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will very likely buy a copy of the Phalanx edition of Hannibal as well (one of my fave games period)... which seems likely to become the definitive edition of the game with all the extras.

20th Anniversary already... my how time flies.shake

Still have my AH edition of Hannibal, owned but sold the VG edition. The VG minis were crappy with very brittle and fragile plastic. High quality minis would be nice and improved graphics over the VG edition. Didn't like how dark the VG map was nor the puzzle pieces map, or the poor cgi images used for the battle cards.

Pretty confident Phalanx will do an excellent production job on the reprint... still think the Phalanx edition of A House Divided as the best published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Phalanx AHD too, but should point out that it had multiple map problems too, which should not happen on the 3rd edition of a tried and tested game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
I will very likely buy a copy of the Phalanx edition of Hannibal as well (one of my fave games period)... which seems likely to become the definitive edition of the game with all the extras.

20th Anniversary already... my how time flies.shake

Still have my AH edition of Hannibal, owned but sold the VG edition. The VG minis were crappy with very brittle and fragile plastic. High quality minis would be nice and improved graphics over the VG edition. Didn't like how dark the VG map was nor the puzzle pieces map, or the poor cgi images used for the battle cards.

Pretty confident Phalanx will do an excellent production job on the reprint... still think the Phalanx edition of A House Divided as the best published.
I read that with confusion. When did Victory Games release Hannibal? Oh, wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:

Not sure what minis you mean. My VG copy has no minis, perhaps they were a KS stretch goal or something? Just as well for me as I don't care for minis and prefer counters. I love the map in this version, or at least the colour of it. But not the puzzle piece aspect so far. I may lay it out with a bunch of books on it for a while and see if that flattens it out. But so far I'm really impressed with the components. I'm sure I'll be pining for the new version when it comes out, especially if it has Hamilcar, but I played my first solo game of this this morning and can't wait to play it for real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the puzzle piece map is a brilliant idea since fold out maps tend to tear or break. Mine lays out flat. I still prefer the original AH version but its probably nostalgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sushidog wrote:

Not sure what minis you mean. My VG copy has no minis, perhaps they were a KS stretch goal or something? ...

Valley Games shipped out a really poor quality set of minis to pre-orders back in 2007 (2008?). Many people received their minis damaged in some way due to the fragile and brittle plastic used. My set had two damaged generals and replacements were either not available or very limited in quantity and quickly exhausted...

I like the cardboard standups used in the original game as high quality (painted?) minis will only drive up the price of the game. Nice to have if done right, but superfluous.

A high quality folding map board should withstand dozens of plays and is more convenient to deploy than a puzzle piece map. How many Avalon Hill classic games are still playable despite being played dozens of times over the decades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.