Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who know me know that I have a strong affinity for Warhammer 40'000, or 40K, both for it's lore and it's gameplay. There are few games quite like it where you can take command of a ten foot superhuman and face off against an army of equally imposing monsters across a battlefield that shares much in common with modern day Birmingham.

For those of you that don't know, Warhammer 40K is a tabletop wargame set in the year of it's namesake, which always spoke to me of a bunch of game designers saying 'Think of a big number, and then add another zero' and lo and behold it turns out that that's what actually happened leaving my sarcastic quips meaningless and me with so much egg on my face that they could fry me into an omelette.

You take command of one of the many races in the 40K universe which is good in theory, but usually ends up being an army of Space Marines fighting a similar army of Space Marines because for the new players Space Marines are simply the easiest army to pick up and roll with. They're skilled all rounders with good staying power and powerful weaponry. Not that this deterred a young Limey Man, who's first army was the ravenous all consuming Tyranids based on my ever stellar childish logic - Because they looked cool and stuff. Granted that's not a reason to justify everything. Fireworks look cool and stuff, but giving one to little Timmy is liable to result in a very difficult explanation when his parents come home.

The first thing I can say about opening a Warhammer 40K set is it brings you in mind of 'Dad Hobbies' - you know the ones, endless sprues of small parts to create a model that gave you a sense of achievement for having done them such as airfix and meccano - and set about assuming my all consuming force of Tyranid Gaunts and Hormagaunts. This was of course back in the day when you could get such a set, with enough money for glue, brushes and paints left over without having to sell parts of your anatomy to the strange fellow round the corner who always looks rather shady when you question the source of his leather jacket.

Once built and painted, I was ready to square off against my childhood best friend who had started the hobby with me and had chosen to get T'au. Pft, I thought, eyeing up his clean little firing lines of tiny little troops. This will be childs play. And then I lost. This is where Warhammer 40K lets you know that sometimes your luck will just shit on you with its dice based combat adding a certain air of randomness to proceedings. This is good in its reflection of how combat is rather chance based with a mix of tactics, but to a young gamer who barely had a grasp of tactics, I was doomed from the start.

So, after a year of collecting Tyranids I thought 'Sod this for a game of soldiers' and started a Space Marine army. From there I was able to eventually win as many games as lose and that might be because every single enemy I faced from that point bar three used Space Marines so we may as well have just rolled the dice at the beginning to and settled it from there.

As a whole Warhammer 40K acts as a solid wargame though, thought it needs to be one played with friends who intentionally buy different armies to get any real tactical stimulation out of it. Sure, you'll more often than not get friendly banter over the table which is always enjoyable, but when you're repeatedly facing off against wave upon wave of enemy Space Marines it becomes tedious and repetitive. The numbers just become machine based and you will end up relishing every victory less and less as no matter how many Space Marines you defeat, there always seem to be more of the buggers. So much for humanity waning, we just found another 25 chapters hiding in this box!

In the end though, Warhammer 40K is polished and addictive, continuing to call you back like the call of a flaxen maiden and with the right precursors it can become a fantastic challenge and and great little experience. Just be careful because when you start getting really into the game, you can start min maxing and pouring through the codexes for every last detail and rule and then you become 'that guy' and immediately you go to Tournaments to play off against other 'that guys' and before you know it the debt collector's frighteners will be around to break your legs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SoldierISAS wrote:
...back in the day when you could get such a set, with enough money for glue, brushes and paints left over without having to sell parts of your anatomy...

<SNIP>

...before you know it the debt collector's frighteners will be around to break your legs!

Those two excerpts say it all. At one point I had five different armies (Marines, Eldar, 'Nids, Necon, and Tau) and played every week. But between the constant cycling of new rules, new codexes, and prices of figures rising to the point where you could make car payments for what you needed to spend to keep up with the new stuff... Well, suffice to say that while I still play regularly, I haven't bought anything GW in the past eight years.

And apparently I'm not the only one. Back in the day there were half dozen GW stores across my extended metro region, each serving a fairly substantial clientel. Today there are only two, and the manager at the one I occasionally play at has said that he's expecting them to close his store after the holidays. Simply put, GW has priced itself out of the market -- I wonder how they survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Simply put, GW has priced itself out of the market -- I wonder how they survive.

Licensing. They license anything and everything from their lore these days to anyone willing to pay the fee. It's pretty sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the biggest release in GW history is about to hit, of course it's just my opinion but I reckon the new 30k box will be as iconic as the first beaky box.

It's looking very interesting for us older gamers who have been at times jaded with price evolution and rules going haywire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.