Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
We mainly play the game with two and while we enjoy it there are a couple things that don't seem to scale.

First, the statue scoring tiles. We decided to only include 3 of them each game. Us the 3,5,7 or 3,6,9 with the expansion. It adds more tension to the canal building.

Second, is the market cards from the expansion. The 5 or 6 actions (scrolls) on the cards seems like too much for two. We ruled it that a 5 is a 1 and a 6 is two. This way there is more pressure to use the market ability sooner.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do the same for statues and we have similar variant for markets: we replace the 5 with 2 and the 6 with 3. In this way, being first doesn't grant you the opportunity to monopolize the market. For 3-p games we use 3 instead of 5 and 5 instead of 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Snakes et Lattes
Canada
flag msg tools
Proudly Alphabetical since 1989!
badge
The Wish Swing from Nuit Blanche 2007
mbmbmbmbmb
These are certainly interesting changes. My friend and I over our many plays have found that some market cards are hardly used because of when they come up (for example, "contingency plan" on the first turn when each player has only one or two threats). But for the popular ones (profiteering, price-fixing), this would add a level of tension to the game.

As for three statues - I would leave the 2-point statue in play as well, 7-5-3-2 seems fair. Otherwise, you are reducing the appeal of boats and the appeal of boats is very strong to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.