Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Choosing the first hand. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really loving Ashes and one of the best thing of it is the possibility to choose the first five cards. You can really focus your initial strategy.

Do you thing it is possible in Epic as well?
Any cons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod_XXII wrote:
I'm really loving Ashes and one of the best thing of it is the possibility to choose the first five cards. You can really focus your initial strategy.

Any cons?

i love ashes as well. as far as epic goes, i think there may be some unbalanced openings if you choose your first hand. although i could be wrong. ashes is balanced around it so its a bit different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod_XXII wrote:

Any cons?

Try it? I'd love to hear your experiences, but it's probably not something I would do myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ashes too but Epic and Ashes are two very different games.
Choosing the starting cards allow players to make very powerful combos at the start of the game.
The game would be more about which player has chosen the right combo which I think is bad for the game.
There are not such powerful combos in Ashes. At least, not now.
But if you try it, please, let us know how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you did totally random 30 cards each from 1 deck it may not be game breaking, but only because of luck. If you are doing 3 deck, full deck construction it would break the game. You could probably very easily make a one win opening hand. You could likely also make the perfect counter to it so then each game basically comes down to flip a coin to see who wins on the opening draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe you all are right.

I am thinking about the different cast method in the two games. In Epic you can cast *every* card you want while in Ashes you have to spend the right mana-dice. And combowise that makes a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know about the mulligan rule, right? You can banish any number of cards from your hand and draw the same number, losing 1 life for each card drawn this way. This is obviously not the same as choosing your starting hand from scratch, but still might help.

I agree with the posters above - choosing your hand from the whole deck isn't the best idea. Epic is broken enough as it is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
bad idea.
the way stuff is is good.
(and usually I am pro changes ... but why don'T you just try)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.