4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Priority Plots vs Titles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Helgard Muller
South Africa
flag msg tools
We played a melee game the other night in which I selected Sneak Attack as my plot. Sneak Attack limits me to initiating one challenge during the challenges phase.

As my title, I selected "Hand of the King", which allows me to make an additional power challenge.

In my turn when I realized my "mistake", we decided that the plot receives priority over the title. Although I could not find any specific rules stating this at the time or since looking in the rules. Was this correct?

In retrospect, I could (should) just have selected another title. So my gut feel is probably that along these lines no ruling is required since you should simply not select that title if you cannot use it...

Any way, any clear rules reference regarding priority - plot or title in melee that I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability of Sneak Attack takes precedence here. But it has nothing to do with a general priority of plots over titles.

The ability of Sneak Attack is as follows:

Sneak Attack wrote:
You cannot initiate more than 1 challenge during the challenges phase.

The decisive word here is "cannot". Cannot is a teechnical term in AGoT - it denotes an prohibition that is absolute and can't be overridden by any means. This is covered in the Rules Reference, page 4:

Rules Reference page 4 wrote:
The word “cannot” is absolute, and cannot be countermanded by other abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There isn't a rule about either Plot cards or Title cards having priority over each other.

Instead, the rule you're looking for is the use of the word "Cannot".
On page 4 of the rules reference it says:

Quote:
Cannot
The word “cannot” is absolute, and cannot be
countermanded by other abilities.

So in your example, the "cannot initiate more than 1 challenge" takes priority over the "may initiate an additional power challenge". You should have only been able to make a single challenge.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helgard Muller
South Africa
flag msg tools
Thanks Helmut & Ian!

Makes sense...will keep the "cannot" in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.