Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried out the solo game of the Pax Profiriana Collector’s Edition and found it to be fun and engaging. I have tried to read through the forum posts about the solo game and I see that some changes have been implemented from the original solo rules. I did have a couple of questions and some possible suggestions. I hope some players with more experience than me can help guide me as I start to explore the solo variant of this great game.

Questions:

1) Will the Diaz AI discard cards in his tableau to help boost his score in a particular prestige point during a topple? I played this way in my game since it seemed logical, but there isn’t anything stated in the rules about this so maybe I was making it harder than it needed to be. Example: Diaz has a partner that can be discarded to add 1 to the Diaz revolution score. Will he discard this card if a topple is being evaluated for revolution and it will help prevent me from winning?

2) Do the effects of Diaz’s partner cards which prevent the play of other cards stop him from playing those cards from the trade row? In my game Diaz played the Partner preventing any further Chihuahua cards being played in the game. When his die rolls selected a Chihuahua card from the tableau that he would have normally played, I discarded it instead. Is this correct? It only seemed fair since I was leaving those alone in the market.

3) The rules state the Diaz will play headline events that switch the regime to Pax Porfiriana. If the regime is already Pax Porfiriana and Diaz selects such a headline via his die roll, does he play the remainder of the headline event or would the card simply be discarded because the regime isn't being "switched" in that case? I think the other text on the card takes place, but I wanted to check.

4) If I play an orange card against one of Diaz's enterprises, am I entitled to take gold from the bank equal to the amount I would be able to steal? I assume that I can still place unrest in order to potentially negate some of his prestige points, but the gold is a bit strange since he doesn't actually have any to steal.

Suggestions:

1) Speculate: I have read this elsewhere, but it seems that speculation can be very overpowered in the solo game. If I am lucky and roll a 5 or 6 on a card I have speculated, that is a huge influx of cash. I sort of felt like the amount I should be able to receive from speculate should be capped, but maybe this was just a bias in my one play. I feel that when I play again I might try to tweak this so the value is capped. I think in a real game it would have to be a very special circumstance for a player to give another player 16 gold to buy out a card. In the solo game, it can happen on random cards that Diaz will just discard.

2) Strife: In my game, Diaz played a card with red/white strife. His tableau contained 4 red cards and 1 white card. Following the solitaire rules, I rolled a die and randomly determined that he kept his white card and discarded the 4 reds. This really helped me to win the game via Revolution points and it felt a bit cheap. I would suggest that Diaz should choose the strife option that discards the fewest prestige points from his tableau.

3) Rule wording: The rules say that Diaz will have a base value of 4 (or 6) prestige in each category and will add the prestige he gains from his partners. This should also include prestige he gained from enterprises. I think this wording should just be changed to say that Diaz adds the prestige of that category from all of his in play cards without unrest.

I know a huge part of the fun in this game is the interaction back and forth between players. With that said, I really enjoyed the solo game and I felt like I was challenged to keep pace with the AI. It isn’t a substitute for a game with other players, but I am eager to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Re questions
(1) he won't, but it's an interesting idea.

(2) The rules do qualify that, "Diaz gains the abilities conferred by partners". But, you could have also played that Partner yourself and asked the same question: can your card plays prevent Diaz playing a card he would normally be allowed to? Your idea makes a lot of sense. But, since the rules don't explicitly say what to do, you might equally argue that these effects do not affect Diaz. However, it is clear that his Enterprises are affected by other things, such as Unrest. My conclusion would be, to avoid any rules-stickiness, that the Effect should be upheld: i.e. if Diaz is unable to play a card, for whatever reason, then assume he sells it for gold (i.e. simply discard it). EDIT: a 50/50 split decision is they way to go; it's simple, and reflects the influence of 3rd parties hitting both you and Dìaz in measures.

(3) another fine question. The rule qualifies that Diaz only plays it if "changes the Regime." so I would say no. But, you could do this in a PvP game, so why not? There is a separate thread on this here and here

(4) no - same as in PvP game, against a player who has no gold.

Re suggestions

(1) Speculate: I wonder if a 2d6 roll might help, so instead of all market cards having an equal 1:6 chance, you might instead say:

Market 0 - roll 7 (6:36 odds)
Market 1 - roll 6 or 8 (10:36 odds)
Market 2 - roll 5 or 9 (8:36 odds)
Market 4 - roll 4 or 10 (6:36 odds)
Market 8 - roll 3 or 11 (4:36 odds)
Market16 - roll 2 or 12 (2:36 odds)

The Market 1 and 2 spots are likely to be taken 50% of the time, which reflects a more 'human' result, with Market 0 cards likely to be the ones that were least desireable(?)

(2) Strife - the odds were 1:4 of Diaz choosing white, so this situation would only occur 1 time out of 4 on average. So, I wonder if the ruling is intentional, in order that the selection is not always deterministic, and also representative of outside forces (in the absence of players 3-5) taking their toll? If the split was 3/4, would it be better to keep the 4? or might there be profit in keeping the 3? The key is keeping the rules simple. Maybe there is a better way, that is both simple and non-deterministic.

(3) Rule wording - good spot. I think the intent was to include Enterprises too, plus any black/orange cards in-play or in his Grudge Pile. It was answered here, so I think this is right.

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the excellent and detailed comments Ricky. I particularly liked the 2d6 idea for the speculate action.

It has been a while since this post, but I don't think I 100% follow your math on the strife comment. You mention that there was 1:4 odds of Diaz choosing white. I think that the way I played it at the time was that Diaz has 2 colors (red and white) so I rolled a die and said even # =discard white, odd #= discard red. With this method it was a 50% chance either way. Was I supposed to weight the die roll based on the number of cards of each color?

By the way, I am a big fan of your youtube videos. You are the reason I ended up with two of my favorite games (War of the Ring and Mage Knight). Thanks for all you have contributed to the hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
Thanks for the excellent and detailed comments Ricky. I particularly liked the 2d6 idea for the speculate action.

It has been a while since this post, but I don't think I 100% follow your math on the strife comment. You mention that there was 1:4 odds of Diaz choosing white. I think that the way I played it at the time was that Diaz has 2 colors (red and white) so I rolled a die and said even # =discard white, odd #= discard red. With this method it was a 50% chance either way. Was I supposed to weight the die roll based on the number of cards of each color?

By the way, I am a big fan of your youtube videos. You are the reason I ended up with two of my favorite games (War of the Ring and Mage Knight). Thanks for all you have contributed to the hobby

thanks Brian ! Re strife: no, you did it correctly - 50/50. I was thinkinkimg of weighting it on card count, but that doesn't work either. Take a look at my ideas on the solo rules here, and hopefully this will give you an alternative to try: http://www.boxofdelights.net/pax-porfiriana-solitaire-rules/

great game cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the further clarifications on this thread.

I am attempting my first solo and I obvously run into unclear scenarios :

1) What is the impact or value of improving connections agains Diaz in solo since he is not any paying costs ? I fail to see this...

2) Diaz rolls and grabs Dorados Rebels which he can apply to my Mine but it flips regime to Anarchy, so does he play it (if I refer to the rules for headlines where you would think he would try to maintain Pax Porfiriana regime ) !?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions.

1. It can help your own troops (or hinder them!), and it gives you income.

2. Yes, regime will change. The rule about Pax regime only applies to headlines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.