Subject: Discard old building card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When should I discard previous production cards, like "Iron" for example? When I buy new card I put it on top. Any previous buildings and resources stays on the previous card. But what if all buildings are upgraded, should I discard the old card?

I used to automatic discard in Nations, that's why it seems weird and unintuitive to leave the old card in place. Does it stay till the end of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't ever discard the old card.

Especially not Mines and Farms. You may need to put cubes on them to represent a lower amount of resources.

Eg: You have Iron, and then you develop Coal. You have 1 cube on Coal, representing 3 resources. If you spend 1 resource, you move the cube down to the Iron, which represents 2 resources.

It's not "weird and unintuitive", Nations just did it differently, so it isn't what you are used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It makes perfect sense. So every card I place on the board I place it forever. Military cards too?

Oh well, I thought the player board coudn't get more fiddly. I guess I was wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Thanks. It makes perfect sense. So every card I place on the board I place it forever. Military cards too?

Yes. There are rare occasions when you might want to build an infantry, even if you have swordsmen for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:

Oh well, I thought the player board coudn't get more fiddly. I guess I was wrong

If you ditched the intermediate valus cards, you'd either lose a lot of resources by having nowhere to put them, or you'd use up a lot more blue cubes tracking individual ones. Either way, it'd be awful for the game play.

Fiddly is such a loaded word, it's a great mechanic I reckon. Maybe slightly confusing until you see the cards are able to fucntion as production and storage independently. i.e. you don't need an bronze worker to store a single resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Libero03 wrote:

Yes. There are rare occasions when you might want to build an infantry, even if you have swordsmen for example.

I wouldn't even say they're very rare since having a 1 str dude offers more flexibility with colony bids for example. And resources are often tight, sometimes you just don't have the 3 for a swordsman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Thanks. It makes perfect sense. So every card I place on the board I place it forever.

Actually, unless something has changed since the original game, the blue technologies replace older versions of the same type. So for example if you have Masonry and discover Engineering, Masonry is discarded. Governments and Leaders also replace any existing Government or Leader respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironJames wrote:
So for example if you have Masonry and discover Engineering, Masonry is discarded. Governments and Leaders also replace any existing Government or Leader respectively.

Correct. From page 5 of the rules, right-hand column under "Develop a Technology":

Rule book wrote:
If the card is a special technology of the same type as one you already have in play, only the higher-level card stays in play.

But all farm and mine technology cards do indeed stay in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
And Urban buildings. As correctly said, you only discard your previous Government or your previous "special" blue card of the same type (Navigation, Construction, etc) when playing a newer one. Everything else remains in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
HisDivineShadow wrote:
And Urban buildings. As correctly said, you only discard your previous Government or your previous "special" blue card of the same type (Navigation, Construction, etc) when playing a newer one. Everything else remains in play.

Actually, with "special" blue cards, you discard the lower-level card when playing (usually that one *IS* the old one, but there are exceptions. For example, if you have Einstein, you might discover Architecture after Engineering for the 3 culture points.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.