Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Jones
msg tools
mbmb
I have been playing the rebels

E-wing, 2 X-wings

vs

1 Phantom and 4 Tie fighters

and I never stand a chance... can someone give me some tips...

My build
http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!7...:-1,-1,-1,2:-1:-1:;82:-1,1,77:-1:-1:;178:1,-1,147:-1:-1:

Opponent build

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!...:-1,-1,-1:-1:9:;18:-1:-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a hard matchup. One superb arc dodger and 4 excellent jousters vs onne decent arc dodger and two general purpose fighters. I am guessing your battles generally consist of you attacking the phantom which cloaks and evwdes while the TaiEs pound you, or you attacking the swarm while the phantom maneivers to savage your ships.

I can't read your builds, the link isn't working right. But at first blush it looks like using a poor matchup. Do be sure your opponent is using the new decloaking rules, they make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The four best ways to take down a Phantom are:

1. Giving it stress tokens through Rebel Captive/Tactician/Flechettes/etc.
2. Denying its actions and decloak ability through positional blocking
3. Wearing it down with sustained,accurate turret fire
4. Just a whole *#@!-ton of guns focus-firing on it

Your squad does not appear to be set up to do any of that. An E-Wing with 2 X's as back up sounds fun, but three-ship builds are VERY tough to win with, especially now. I'd recommend that if you are going to go down this road, go with three High-PS X-Wing aces, and try to work in Poe Dameron if you have the new core set. BB-8 on Wedge with Outmaneuver lets you do some insane things. Luke with Predator is a solid choice.

Still, the same problem applies - you are flying a very "advanced" list, and by that I mean your piloting and predicting of your opponents' moves must be completely on point, and one wrong read can put you in a position you can't survive. In today's meta, you're dealing with squadrons that have been optimized and min-maxed to bejeezus and back, and as much as I wish it were so, 3 general-purpose fighters just isn't one of them. Phantom + TIE Swarm is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 E and 2 X is just not that good of a list. Phantom + mini swarm is still one of the stronger list in the meta.

To beat it you need to look to Fat Pancakes... maybe Han and Horn, or Dash and some friends.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m_peretz wrote:
I have been playing the rebels

E-wing, 2 X-wings

vs

1 Phantom and 4 Tie fighters

and I never stand a chance... can someone give me some tips...

My build
http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!7...:-1,-1,-1,2:-1:-1:;82:-1,1,77:-1:-1:;178:1,-1,147:-1:-1:

Opponent build

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!...:-1,-1,-1:-1:9:;18:-1:-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:;183:-1:-1:-1:

Your Corran Horn build is aweful.

A good typical build is:

Corran Horn — E-Wing 35
Push the Limit 3
Fire-Control System 2
R2-D2 4
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 48

Drop the Proton Torpedoes. They are useless on a 3 attack dice ship that can't modify the results once the TL is spent.

Also, you only have 3 ships, yet no tanky ships in the squad. You are prone to simply die to focused fire.

You could try Corran Horn with the build I posted + 4x Tala Z-95.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many many many ways to deal with Phantoms these days. This is just one:

Corran Horn (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you and your opponent are aware that Decloak has errata, right? It has been nerfed from how it is printed on the rules card that came with the TIE Phantom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I haven't faced a Phantom list like you put up before with my current favorite squads. So I'm not sure how well they would do.

I think TLT/ICT Ywings should do well against arc dodgers and you you shoot before academy TIEs. Since it seems to always end up with the YWings getting chased, cheap bombs serve me well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jones
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you everyone.

We are using the new rules for the phantom.

I don't have all the ships and cards you guys recommend. I have the new core set, Y wing expansion, x-wing expansion and the e-wing expansion. Any suggestions on builds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

You should have all the cards/ships to build around Wedge Antilles.

With a 9 Pilot Skill, you're likely to fire first against the Phantom. If you're out of the Phantom's firing arc, you could potentially reduce its Agility by 2, and Flechette Torpedoes inflict Stress on targets even when they miss. Getting that in before your opponent can re-cloak will give all your other ships a chance to attack against a more vulnerable Phantom. Unless your opponent uses Veteran Instincts to get the Phantom to a Pilot Skill 9, then Poe Dameron will also fire before the Phantom can recloak.

Total=98
Wedge Antilles [BB-8, Flechette Torpedoes, Outmaneuver] (36)
Gold Squadron Pilot [R5-D8, Ion Cannon Turret] (26)
Poe Dameron [R2 Astromech, Weapons Guidance, Expert Handling] (36)

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jones
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.