Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
- Why units that go to the mission are placed in the mission box and not on the card itself? It creates a weird visual disconnection. Since no rules really apply to units "on the mission" and being in the battlefield, my assumption is that if I want to, I could place them on the mission card?

- Show of Force scenario uses Snibble and Wella on Starlings, however there's only one bird in the box that matches the picture (both Starling cards have the same picture). We were confused. Do we miss a bird figure, or should we just use other remaining figure as replacement (as we did)? The book doesn't explain that clearly, just says that there are multiple different unit cards using the same model.

- In tilt phase, one player sets the tilt for all birds, then it proceedes to the next player, etc, or does it go in turns, one player one bird, second player one bird... until all tilts are set?

- Funfact: some birds with pilots topple over to the back when set in too aggressive launch position :)

- Does the first player token given at the beginning of the game matters at all? It's just the mission cards and initial tilt (I guess, most often a launch anyway) and then we bid for the first player anyway.

- When activating a squad, if I have 6 available units, I can activate 3 of them and then in the next round, activate 3 again, these 3 being either the same 3 as before, (pigs) 3 different ones or a mix - it shouldn't matter, right?

- you can fly outside the battlefield and if you manage to return in the same movement, the bird is safe and does not go to casualty pile?

- if you fly through ground figures (on the tree), but do not perch, the rules say to move them around to make space. Does that include effectively moving them to other spaces or just within the space they're already in?

- how do we differentiate between a bird perched on the tree and a bird flying over the tree with a center tilt? This caused us some problems in the next rounds, because we wasn't sure whether the bird was flying or was perched.

- "a figure cannot perch if it began its turn perched" - why? This seems like an odd limitation. Thematically, in real life, birds make quick "jumps" from branch to branch all the time.

- when rescuing Snag and his bird, the unit comes into play with full health, right (since standard Snag doesn't have bonus life points)

- "ending a flying movement on another flying figure" - I assume "on" here means "in such position, that the placement of the figure is impossible without moving the other figure" and not related to just their bases? (spread wings usually create a bigger "ring" around a bird)

- "you must instead end your figure's movement when it reaches the last maneuver point on the path that would not result in ending on a flying figure". Since standard templates doesn't have the rounded "end", where do place the bird - right after the template (on the sticking out pins or after them?), or "on" the template, matching the sticking out pins to the bird's base (effectively, few centimeters further from the end of the path)?

- move and then scurry or attack is completely optional (as in Mice and Mystics), although should be considered in that order, right? Exception: flying bird must move at least 2 templates' distance.

- "if the range finder passes through flying figure, the target is not within clear sight" - what does it mean "passes" here? Through it's base, through the stand pole or through the figure "in general"?

- ranged attack can still be made targetting an adjacent ground figure, right? (if attacker's space does not contain enemies he would have to target instead) - meaning, you're still free to choose the type of the attack?

- swoop is a melee group attack, right? It's not stated in the manual, but the resolution would imply so.

- if a bird escapes the death spiral after first tie, can it make a swoop attack?

- Funfact: the manual says "range finger" once, on page 15 ("moving a drifting leaf").

- how leaf movement works during the final phase (reset battlefield)? Is it exactly the same (rolling dice, additing number of figures, performing spins)? What happens if after the move they are still drifting?

Strategy for first scenario: it would look to me, like the thing to do is to rush: pick Siege mission twice, move all your figures quickly (the opponent most likely won't be able to reach the first mission in the first round), launch birds to fly towards the nest as possible and finish the nest. It didn't make sense to attack birds (too much hassle). We couldn't find a good purpose for the ground figures other than just waiting for attackers and defend, or siege the other tree and attack quickly (transporting figures seemed suboptimal too). We were a bit worried, that the tactical options are a bit limited (but we've played wihout the additional rules first).

We've also found that with 2-3 birds around one nest, and some figures on the tree, the space can get very crowdy/busy, making placing the fight path templates a bit hard.

Overall, we've liked it very much, we were just worried about replayability. It feels quite similar to Warhammer:Diskwars or X-Wing, but this one is actually the first skirmish game my GF doesn't have problem with (she loves Mice and Mystics). Congratulations Jerry and the team! Was great to meet you and talk to you during Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'll answer as much as I can (answers in italics)

1- Why units that go to the mission are placed in the mission box and not on the card itself? It creates a weird visual disconnection. Since no rules really apply to units "on the mission" and being in the battlefield, my assumption is that if I want to, I could place them on the mission card?

Answer: Those figures on a mission are not 'available' and can't be activated, and so having them on the battlefield may be confusing, and additionally, create some practical obstacles for birds movement.

2- Show of Force scenario uses Snibble and Wella on Starlings, however there's only one bird in the box that matches the picture (both Starling cards have the same picture). We were confused. Do we miss a bird figure, or should we just use other remaining figure as replacement (as we did)? The book doesn't explain that clearly, just says that there are multiple different unit cards using the same model.

Answer: The box includes 5 Figures, and the same figures can be used for multiple Bird unit (cards). Valchirp and Sienna are both Starlings, and use the same models as the common Starling. Similarly, Aerijin is a Blue Jay and the common blue jay uses that model. Same for the Vermin Birds.

3- In tilt phase, one player sets the tilt for all birds, then it proceedes to the next player, etc, or does it go in turns, one player one bird, second player one bird... until all tilts are set?

Answer: One player does all tilts, then the next player, etc.

4- Does the first player token given at the beginning of the game matters at all? It's just the mission cards and initial tilt (I guess, most often a launch anyway) and then we bid for the first player anyway.

Answer: This affects who reveals which figures are sent on a mission first, and Tilt.

5- When activating a squad, if I have 6 available units, I can activate 3 of them and then in the next round, activate 3 again, these 3 being either the same 3 as before, (pigs) 3 different ones or a mix - it shouldn't matter, right?

Answer: On each round (consisting of multiple turns for each player), you only activate the number of figures indicated on the squad unit card (usually 3). You cannot activate the rest during that round's activation phase. A unit (figures within that unit) are only activated once per round. However, if they are on missions, then they maybe used during the mission phase, as described for that particular mission.

6- you can fly outside the battlefield and if you manage to return in the same movement, the bird is safe and does not go to casualty pile?

Answer: Correct.

7- if you fly through ground figures (on the tree), but do not perch, the rules say to move them around to make space. Does that include effectively moving them to other spaces or just within the space they're already in?

Answer: They have to stay in the space they are already in.

8- how do we differentiate between a bird perched on the tree and a bird flying over the tree with a center tilt? This caused us some problems in the next rounds, because we wasn't sure whether the bird was flying or was perched.

Answer: No specific method here, but you might turn your the bird unit card or slide the numerical marker to the Pilot side.

9- "a figure cannot perch if it began its turn perched" - why? This seems like an odd limitation. Thematically, in real life, birds make quick "jumps" from branch to branch all the time.

Answer: Mostly a balance issue. One reason is that this creates a situation where a bird can "jump" over a nest swoop attacking it each turn easily. The bird can move while perched to get the short movement effect you're looking for.

10- when rescuing Snag and his bird, the unit comes into play with full health, right (since standard Snag doesn't have bonus life points)

Answer: In this case, this is correct. The Standard version of Snag does not add any life to the bird he is riding.

11- "ending a flying movement on another flying figure" - I assume "on" here means "in such position, that the placement of the figure is impossible without moving the other figure" and not related to just their bases? (spread wings usually create a bigger "ring" around a bird)

Answer: The base is what's being referred to here, and the size of the wings might present a bit of an issue. We've simply worked around that.

12- "you must instead end your figure's movement when it reaches the last maneuver point on the path that would not result in ending on a flying figure". Since standard templates doesn't have the rounded "end", where do place the bird - right after the template (on the sticking out pins or after them?), or "on" the template, matching the sticking out pins to the bird's base (effectively, few centimeters further from the end of the path)?

Answer: You would place the bird base directly on top of the previous maneuver point (contours of base and flight template matching), and then side the template out from below.

13- move and then scurry or attack is completely optional (as in Mice and Mystics), although should be considered in that order, right? Exception: flying bird must move at least 2 templates' distance.

Answer: Ground units can just move if you wish. Flying bird units must move at least two templates, and can skip attacking if they wish (and may not scurry).

14- "if the range finder passes through flying figure, the target is not within clear sight" - what does it mean "passes" here? Through it's base, through the stand pole or through the figure "in general"?

Answer: The base area should be used for this determination.

15- ranged attack can still be made targetting an adjacent ground figure, right? (if attacker's space does not contain enemies he would have to target instead) - meaning, you're still free to choose the type of the attack?

Answer: Yes.

16- swoop is a melee group attack, right? It's not stated in the manual, but the resolution would imply so.

It is. Under "Swoop attack" is the following Text "When performing a swoop attack, make a group attack (see Group Attack on this page)
against the target. The attack value for that group attack is equal to your bird’s battle value plus its pilot’s melee attack value.

17- if a bird escapes the death spiral after first tie, can it make a swoop attack?

Answer: The bird's movement is ended when it enters a death spiral, but a bird could perform a swoop attack BEFORE entering a Death Spiral.

18- how leaf movement works during the final phase (reset battlefield)? Is it exactly the same (rolling dice, additing number of figures, performing spins)? What happens if after the move they are still drifting?

Answer: Movement is the same during final phase, and if it is still drifting the leaf will move again on subsequent final phases.

I hope that helps.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Question 17 might be clarified further using this question I ran by Jerry earlier:

Q) Bird 1 and Bird 2 have not activated yet. Bird 1 activates and ends up in a death spiral with Bird 2. What happens on Bird 2’s turn if:

* They roll for the spiral and tie. When it is Bird 2’s turn to activate, does it trigger another death spiral roll off or is it just stuck and can’t move or attack (and can the player still use that activation to perform a revive at that end of that turn even if the entangled bird is stuck?)

A) If you activate a bird that is in a spiral, you trigger another death spiral battle. You can revive as part of any activation.

* One of the birds wins the roll off, and they are turned 180 degrees from each other. Is Bird 2, (which still haven’t formally activated during this round) still able to activate as normal.
A) It activates normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

That's true. I was answering referring to the Activated Bird.

The other bird who was involved in a death spiral battle that was broken (not tied) is free to activate normally.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers.

KAM1138 wrote:

1- Why units that go to the mission are placed in the mission box and not on the card itself? It creates a weird visual disconnection. Since no rules really apply to units "on the mission" and being in the battlefield, my assumption is that if I want to, I could place them on the mission card?

Answer: Those figures on a mission are not 'available' and can't be activated, and so having them on the battlefield may be confusing, and additionally, create some practical obstacles for birds movement.

Understood. I would probably still place them on the card, remembering that they're not actually on the battlefield (I mean, actually they kind of are, but let's assume they're down below, on the ground). I think it would work better for us.

KAM1138 wrote:

2- Show of Force scenario uses Snibble and Wella on Starlings, however there's only one bird in the box that matches the picture (both Starling cards have the same picture). We were confused. Do we miss a bird figure, or should we just use other remaining figure as replacement (as we did)? The book doesn't explain that clearly, just says that there are multiple different unit cards using the same model.

Answer: The box includes 5 Figures, and the same figures can be used for multiple Bird unit (cards). Valchirp and Sienna are both Starlings, and use the same models as the common Starling. Similarly, Aerijin is a Blue Jay and the common blue jay uses that model. Same for the Vermin Birds.

Yes, sure, but I think you've actually reversed my question. I was asking which miniature to use, if one Starling is already taken and the second still shows up the same miniature on the back of the card. If one of Starling cards would show another miniature, this would be solved, by assumption here is that they didn't want to limit the force building to any particular configuration?

Quote:

8- how do we differentiate between a bird perched on the tree and a bird flying over the tree with a center tilt? This caused us some problems in the next rounds, because we wasn't sure whether the bird was flying or was perched.

Answer: No specific method here, but you might turn your the bird unit card or slide the numerical marker to the Pilot side.

Not a bad idea, but I think we'll put some small markers on their bases, so that it's better visible for the opponent, too. We still need some additional marker for marking activation anyway, I hate rotating cards with passion.

Quote:

9- "a figure cannot perch if it began its turn perched" - why? This seems like an odd limitation. Thematically, in real life, birds make quick "jumps" from branch to branch all the time.

Answer: Mostly a balance issue. One reason is that this creates a situation where a bird can "jump" over a nest swoop attacking it each turn easily. The bird can move while perched to get the short movement effect you're looking for.

Good point.

Quote:

11- "ending a flying movement on another flying figure" - I assume "on" here means "in such position, that the placement of the figure is impossible without moving the other figure" and not related to just their bases? (spread wings usually create a bigger "ring" around a bird)

Answer: The base is what's being referred to here, and the size of the wings might present a bit of an issue. We've simply worked around that.

Worked around how exactly? Rotate the bird, while keeping the base pointing into the same direction?

Quote:

16- swoop is a melee group attack, right? It's not stated in the manual, but the resolution would imply so.

It is. Under "Swoop attack" is the following Text "When performing a swoop attack, make a group attack (see Group Attack on this page)
against the target. The attack value for that group attack is equal to your bird’s battle value plus its pilot’s melee attack value.

Yes, that's what I meant, even though technically, it doesn't say it's a melee group attack, it just tells you how to figure out the attack value. The value is for the number of dice, the type of the attack - for the symbols that hit. I assume it's melee, because melee symbol was used to calculate the value - but until Jerry confirms, that's remains an assumption.

Quote:

17- if a bird escapes the death spiral after first tie, can it make a swoop attack?

Answer: The bird's movement is ended when it enters a death spiral, but a bird could perform a swoop attack BEFORE entering a Death Spiral.

Not my question, though. I was asking about a situation when death spiral is already there and after first tie, one of the birds activates again, fight and this time there's no tie and birds fly away (or die). The rules say death spiral replaces the normal attack for the just activated bird and say that swoop isn't a normal attack. This would mean this bird cannot attack normally after escaping death spiral, but could still swoop. But other rules say that swoop attack replaces normal attack, so that's where the uncertainty comes from.

Quote:

18- how leaf movement works during the final phase (reset battlefield)? Is it exactly the same (rolling dice, additing number of figures, performing spins)? What happens if after the move they are still drifting?

Answer: Movement is the same during final phase, and if it is still drifting the leaf will move again on subsequent final phases.

So the move happens when unit cut off the leaf and during a final phase. I understand that while drifting, move action for units on leaf are useless (unless two leaves are adjacent).? In other words, move action for units on the leaf doesn't trigger leaf drifting - just the final phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

Quote:
Q- Why units that go to the mission are placed in the mission box and not on the card itself? It creates a weird visual disconnection. Since no rules really apply to units "on the mission" and being in the battlefield, my assumption is that if I want to, I could place them on the mission card?

A) You could place them on the card if you wanted to

Quote:
Q- Show of Force scenario uses Snibble and Wella on Starlings, however there's only one bird in the box that matches the picture (both Starling cards have the same picture). We were confused. Do we miss a bird figure, or should we just use other remaining figure as replacement (as we did)? The book doesn't explain that clearly, just says that there are multiple different unit cards using the same model.

A) The picture is an example of a starling figure. You could choose the one that matches the example or the other Valchirp model which is also a starling.

Quote:
Q- In tilt phase, one player sets the tilt for all birds, then it proceedes to the next player, etc, or does it go in turns, one player one bird, second player one bird... until all tilts are set?

A) One player tilts all his birds then the other player tilts all of his birds.

Quote:
Q- Funfact: some birds with pilots topple over to the back when set in too aggressive launch position

A) I guess we never tilt them that far back. 

Quote:
Q- Does the first player token given at the beginning of the game matters at all? It's just the mission cards and initial tilt (I guess, most often a launch anyway) and then we bid for the first player anyway.

A) It matters a bunch because whoever has that nut gets to dominate order in crucial circumstances

Quote:
Q- When activating a squad, if I have 6 available units, I can activate 3 of them and then in the next round, activate 3 again, these 3 being either the same 3 as before, (pigs) 3 different ones or a mix - it shouldn't matter, right?

A) Correct

Quote:
Q- you can fly outside the battlefield and if you manage to return in the same movement, the bird is safe and does not go to casualty pile?

A) Correct

Quote:
Q- if you fly through ground figures (on the tree), but do not perch, the rules say to move them around to make space. Does that include effectively moving them to other spaces or just within the space they're already in?

A) They stay within their space.

Quote:
Q- how do we differentiate between a bird perched on the tree and a bird flying over the tree with a center tilt? This caused us some problems in the next rounds, because we wasn't sure whether the bird was flying or was perched.

A) There is currently no marker or anything for this. If you are having a hard time distinguishing perching birds just tilt them beak down. We never really have a problem remembering which birds are perched. Make sure to announce that the bird is perching and the players will remember.

Quote:
Q- "a figure cannot perch if it began its turn perched" - why? This seems like an odd limitation. Thematically, in real life, birds make quick "jumps" from branch to branch all the time.

A) Hopping around is different than flying. If we allowed players to launch and perch on the same activation, they could jump back and forth swooping an opponent’s nest which is not thematically as representative of what a swoop attack is.

Quote:
Q- when rescuing Snag and his bird, the unit comes into play with full health, right (since standard Snag doesn't have bonus life points)

A) Correct

Quote:
Q- "ending a flying movement on another flying figure" - I assume "on" here means "in such position, that the placement of the figure is impossible without moving the other figure" and not related to just their bases? (spread wings usually create a bigger "ring" around a bird)

A) Correct

Quote:
Q- "you must instead end your figure's movement when it reaches the last maneuver point on the path that would not result in ending on a flying figure". Since standard templates doesn't have the rounded "end", where do place the bird - right after the template (on the sticking out pins or after them?), or "on" the template, matching the sticking out pins to the bird's base (effectively, few centimeters further from the end of the path)?

A) Use the end piece to finish the flight path early

Quote:
Q- move and then scurry or attack is completely optional (as in Mice and Mystics), although should be considered in that order, right? Exception: flying bird must move at least 2 templates' distance.

A) Correct

Quote:
Q- "if the range finder passes through flying figure, the target is not within clear sight" - what does it mean "passes" here? Through it's base, through the stand pole or through the figure "in general"?

A) Just the base

Quote:
Q- ranged attack can still be made targetting an adjacent ground figure, right? (if attacker's space does not contain enemies he would have to target instead) - meaning, you're still free to choose the type of the attack?

A) Correct

Quote:
Q- swoop is a melee group attack, right? It's not stated in the manual, but the resolution would imply so.

A) It is actually stated right under the heading Swoop Attack on page 11:
“When your bird crosses a space containing ground enemy figures, a mission or a nest, you may target it for a swoop attack. When performing a swoop attack, make a group attack (see Group Attack on this page) against the target. The attack value for that group attack is equal to your bird’s battle value plus its pilot’s melee attack value.”

Quote:
Q- if a bird escapes the death spiral after first tie, can it make a swoop attack?

A) Yes

Quote:
Q- Funfact: the manual says "range finger" once, on page 15 ("moving a drifting leaf").

A) Ahhhh (sound of hair being ripped out of my head)

Quote:
Q- how leaf movement works during the final phase (reset battlefield)? Is it exactly the same (rolling dice, additing number of figures, performing spins)? What happens if after the move they are still drifting?

A) It works the same and the leaf will move in each final phase until it reaches its target tree.

Quote:
Q- Strategy for first scenario: it would look to me, like the thing to do is to rush: pick Siege mission twice, move all your figures quickly (the opponent most likely won't be able to reach the first mission in the first round), launch birds to fly towards the nest as possible and finish the nest. It didn't make sense to attack birds (too much hassle). We couldn't find a good purpose for the ground figures other than just waiting for attackers and defend, or siege the other tree and attack quickly (transporting figures seemed suboptimal too). We were a bit worried, that the tactical options are a bit limited (but we've played wihout the additional rules first).

A) Obviously with the additional rules you add more options. The first scenario and basic rules are designed to let you play with the flying and cadence of the game. That said, I can think of a few strategies to offset what you are suggesting.

Quote:
Q-We've also found that with 2-3 birds around one nest, and some figures on the tree, the space can get very crowdy/busy, making placing the fight path templates a bit hard.

A) Exact positioning of foot troops is not as crucial as the birds. Move em out of the way while building your flight path. Conduct any swoop attacks during this time as you might find some of those figures won’t survive a good swoop.

Quote:
Q- Overall, we've liked it very much, we were just worried about replayability. It feels quite similar to Warhammeriskwars or X-Wing, but this one is actually the first skirmish game my GF doesn't have problem with (she loves Mice and Mystics). Congratulations Jerry and the team! Was great to meet you and talk to you during Essen.

A) Thank you. Move on to the additional rules. Try a campaign. I think you’ll see the replayability is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

So the move happens when unit cut off the leaf and during a final phase. I understand that while drifting, move action for units on leaf are useless (unless two leaves are adjacent).? In other words, move action for units on the leaf doesn't trigger leaf drifting - just the final phase?
You got the right of it. A move action might not be useless for some units. I have teleported Maginos onto or off of a leaf so many times I can't count. I have also used Collin to give orders while on a leaf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Understood. I would probably still place them on the card, remembering that they're not actually on the battlefield (I mean, actually they kind of are, but let's assume they're down below, on the ground). I think it would work better for us.

If that works for you, then I say go for it.

rattkin wrote:

Yes, sure, but I think you've actually reversed my question. I was asking which miniature to use, if one Starling is already taken and the second still shows up the same miniature on the back of the card. If one of Starling cards would show another miniature, this would be solved, by assumption here is that they didn't want to limit the force building to any particular configuration?

Well, you can use either the Valchirp or Sienna Figures (both Starlings) for the common starling unit.

rattkin wrote:

Not a bad idea, but I think we'll put some small markers on their bases, so that it's better visible for the opponent, too. We still need some additional marker for marking activation anyway, I hate rotating cards with passion.

That would work.

rattkin wrote:

Worked around how exactly? Rotate the bird, while keeping the base pointing into the same direction?

Usually, I just have to tilt the bird a bit differently, but a few times I had to remove the bird from the base. What's important it to keep the base placement and orientation correct. You can also put a flight template underneath and remove the figure temporarily.

rattkin wrote:
Not my question, though. I was asking about a situation when death spiral is already there and after first tie, one of the birds activates again, fight and this time there's no tie and birds fly away (or die). The rules say death spiral replaces the normal attack for the just activated bird and say that swoop isn't a normal attack. This would mean this bird cannot attack normally after escaping death spiral, but could still swoop. But other rules say that swoop attack replaces normal attack, so that's where the uncertainty comes from.

Ok. Yes, that bird (2nd one who started its activation in the Death Spiral, assuming the DS ends) could continue its activation (including moving which could include a swoop attack). The section on Death Spirals (4B) states they can't do a normal melee attack, but the swoop attack isn't normal and can happen on the same turn as a death spiral battle.

rattkin wrote:

Correct.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My answer is conflicting with Jerry's a bit--and He's the boss, so...small discussion.

Original Question: "ending a flying movement on another flying figure" - I assume "on" here means "in such position, that the placement of the figure is impossible without moving the other figure" and not related to just their bases? (spread wings usually create a bigger "ring" around a bird)

Jerry's Answer: Correct
KAM's Answer: The base is what's being referred to here, and the size of the wings might present a bit of an issue. We've simply worked around that.

Clarification (opinion): I'll do everything I can to avoiding moving the intended position of the base--including taking the bird off the stand. So, "Impossible" for me is typically the bases overlapping.
Jerry's answer however, confirms that other spacial conflicts might also constitute "impossible" placement.

Those Big Old Bird figures and their majestic wingspans.

KAM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:
Q- Does the first player token given at the beginning of the game matters at all? It's just the mission cards and initial tilt (I guess, most often a launch anyway) and then we bid for the first player anyway.

A) It matters a bunch because whoever has that nut gets to dominate order in crucial circumstances

Well, of course. I was asking about the initial setup and 1st round, where you give the starting player marker, and shortly after you bid for that marker anyway. So the starting player, potentially, can only use it for mission order (that is that important in first round, I think) and tilt order (that probably won't matter at all). Of course, later on, starting player could be quite important.
Anyway, minor gripe. I was just curious if I'm missing something here.

nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:
Q- "you must instead end your figure's movement when it reaches the last maneuver point on the path that would not result in ending on a flying figure". Since standard templates doesn't have the rounded "end", where do place the bird - right after the template (on the sticking out pins or after them?), or "on" the template, matching the sticking out pins to the bird's base (effectively, few centimeters further from the end of the path)?

A) Use the end piece to finish the flight path early

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that :)

nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:
Q- swoop is a melee group attack, right? It's not stated in the manual, but the resolution would imply so.

A) It is actually stated right under the heading Swoop Attack on page 11:
“When your bird crosses a space containing ground enemy figures, a mission or a nest, you may target it for a swoop attack. When performing a swoop attack, make a group attack (see Group Attack on this page) against the target. The attack value for that group attack is equal to your bird’s battle value plus its pilot’s melee attack value.”

As mentioned above, this is nitpicking, but it's not really stated in that paragraph that it's melee group attack. It says "make a group attack" only. Afterwards, it uses melee value to calculate the value, but it's not entirely clear, which kind of attack is it and what symbols on dice to look for - even though it's kind of implied. But that one "melee" word inserted there would remove all uncertainty.

nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:
Q- Funfact: the manual says "range finger" once, on page 15 ("moving a drifting leaf").

A) Ahhhh (sound of hair being ripped out of my head)

Unique Hero Jerry Hawthorne became rattled.

nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:
Q- how leaf movement works during the final phase (reset battlefield)? Is it exactly the same (rolling dice, additing number of figures, performing spins)? What happens if after the move they are still drifting?

A) It works the same and the leaf will move in each final phase until it reaches its target tree.

I assume then, I'm not really allowed to change the "drift direction" that was set when cutting off the leaf? For instance, I couldn't just circle around the battlefield center indefinitely, shooting arrows and causing general mayhem? (General Mayhem!)

nobeerblues wrote:

Obviously with the additional rules you add more options. The first scenario and basic rules are designed to let you play with the flying and cadence of the game. That said, I can think of a few strategies to offset what you are suggesting.

Yeah, after looking through some cards and learning additional rules, I can already see some funny attack vectors.

Thanks for all the responses Jerry (and others)! Things are clear as the Downwood sky in the summer. Everyone take two cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When drifting on a leaf, you have the target tree you are aiming for. You must use all of your drift spins to continue toward that tree. You can aim at any part of that tree and can steer around intervening obstacles, but at some point, your leaf will get there and you cant fly around the board like you're on a magic carpet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
When drifting on a leaf, you have the target tree you are aiming for. You must use all of your drift spins to continue toward that tree. You can aim at any part of that tree and can steer around intervening obstacles, but at some point, your leaf will get there and you cant fly around the board like you're on a magic carpet.

Unless an effect lets you. Not that one exists yet.

*crosses fingers for future expansion effect*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that would fit Nere perfectly, if you ask me :) She could channel some helping winds to influence the leaf drift.

Or slugs. Yeah, slugs would work too. Somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

- When activating a squad, if I have 6 available units, I can activate 3 of them and then in the next round, activate 3 again, these 3 being either the same 3 as before, (pigs) 3 different ones or a mix - it shouldn't matter, right?

Just wanted to let you know someone caught that reference...

Now... where are the dogs and the sheep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
You house proud town mouse - well done! :)

Now, there's one other reference sort-of hidden in my post in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, pretty much. I've clarified it above. I don't have a problem with it, it's just a bit unusual to give someone the starting player marker, just to to (potentially) take it back almost right after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Monsuwe
Netherlands
flag msg tools
nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:
Q- When activating a squad, if I have 6 available units, I can activate 3 of them and then in the next round, activate 3 again, these 3 being either the same 3 as before, (pigs) 3 different ones or a mix - it shouldn't matter, right?

A) Correct

Okay, now we have two different answers to that question.

Can we, or can we not, activate a squad twice if it has 6 members? You say yes, someone else sais no. And my interpretation of the rules is that you also can't activate a squad more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer was pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Monsuwe
Netherlands
flag msg tools
It look like the first answer misinterpreted the question (#5) and answered as if it was about turns, not rounds (i.e. that you can only activate a squad once, and only 3 members of it). Otherwise the answer as given doesn't actually address the question. Which makes it a bit confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find this video helpful as it is a complete tutorial on the game, with rules verified by Jerry Hawthorne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reynaert wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:

Quote:

A) Correct

Okay, now we have two different answers to that question.

Can we, or can we not, activate a squad twice if it has 6 members? You say yes, someone else sais no. And my interpretation of the rules is that you also can't activate a squad more than once.

I'm not sure where you are confused, but I'll give it a shot:

When you activate a squad (with any number of available figures), you choose up to "the squad value" of them (3 for the Oakguard or Commandos) to be active on that activation, i.e. turn. You cannot activate that squad unit again this round (you've turned the card 90 degrees to show that it's been activated already).

On the next round, all of your unit cards are refreshed (turned back) and can be activated again. When you activate your squad this time, you can choose any 3 figures again, which could be the same as last time, different or a mix.

Does that help?

P.S. Do watch Rodney's video. He's a great teacher and he puts a huge amount of effort into his videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian MacMillan
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering why a bird would ever run into a tree trunk if you can choose to land on any space within your flight path. It seems like it would never happen unless someone started perched and was unable to perch but when you take off you can orient your bird facing any direction... Is this rule in here for future expansions? Or in the off chance that your path crosses through only full spaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legasee wrote:
I am wondering why a bird would ever run into a tree trunk if you can choose to land on any space within your flight path. It seems like it would never happen unless someone started perched and was unable to perch but when you take off you can orient your bird facing any direction... Is this rule in here for future expansions? Or in the off chance that your path crosses through only full spaces?
You are correct. This rule exists in the event that the player is not in control of the bird. So say Tilda uses Divine Wind to push an enemy bird into a tree trunk, or let's say you develop a scenario that involves some kind of compulsory movement (wind, magic, fog, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian MacMillan
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Legasee wrote:
You are correct. This rule exists in the event that the player is not in control of the bird. So say Tilda uses Divine Wind to push an enemy bird into a tree trunk, or let's say you develop a scenario that involves some kind of compulsory movement (wind, magic, fog, etc).

Thanks for the answer and also the fantastic game, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.