20 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Labbe
msg tools
Hi everyone.

I was thinking about picking up MK and wanted to get everyone's opinion of the game first before I dive in. Considering that I would mostly play with my wife, I was wondering if it would be a good investment. Is there considerable replay value? Are the expansions worth it? We normally play Eldritch horror and a few other games, and wanted to expand our collection but were on the fence about MK.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will take a long time to learn it. If you like heavy go for it, if you don't you might want to avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loggiewarrior wrote:
Hi everyone.

I was thinking about picking up MK and wanted to get everyone's opinion of the game first before I dive in. Considering that I would mostly play with my wife, I was wondering if it would be a good investment. Is there considerable replay value? Are the expansions worth it? We normally play Eldritch horror and a few other games, and wanted to expand our collection but were on the fence about MK.....

One look at the BGG rating and position will tell you everything you need to know about what the consensus is, but only watching game videos will give you any idea of whether YOU will like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, the sort of vibe of MK when you play it is very reminiscent of chess. There are a lot of thoughtful pauses where you have to take stock of the situation, and look deeply into your possible future plays in order to get a better idea of what to do in the here and now.

If that sort of thing you and your wife could get into.. there is a vast wonderful world of gaming waiting for you in MKBG (with tons of replayability).

But like Vaevictis says, if you guys aren't into that side of gaming -- this might not be for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loggiewarrior wrote:
Is there considerable replay value?

Off the scale

loggiewarrior wrote:
Are the expansions worth it?

Lost Legion is awesome and increases replayability a lot, you'll want to get that at some point
Krang is an additional character, nice to have but in no way essential
Shades of Tezla personally I'd hold off for now until a more concrete opinion has been formed and they also sort out some component issues. For what it's worth, Vlaada Chvatil who is the original designer was not involved in the actual design of this one.

loggiewarrior wrote:
We normally play Eldritch horror and a few other games, and wanted to expand our collection but were on the fence about MK.....

Being an Eldritch Horror "veteran" will certainly help since it means you are familiar with multiple decks, bookkeeping, etc. However, MK is certainly heavier, offers a lot more options, and has deckbuilding as a core mechanism. It's undeniably a brilliant game. To find out if it's a game for you, I would suggest watching the "Box of Delights" play-through. It certainly helped me make up my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cousins
Canada
flag msg tools
You're going to get a pretty biased response from the board, but I'll just let you know my personal experience, especially with replayability. I bought the game almost 3 years ago when it first came out, and it is *still* my favourite game. The sheer variety in card combinations, tiles and monsters make every single game unique. I'm still discovering interesting interactions that I haven't really explored before and I play at least once per month.

The expansions aren't necessary per se, as the base game is already excellent. The primary expansion (Lost Legion), does greatly expand the co-operative options though, so if you plan on playing with your wife, I'd definitely keep that in mind. The base game has several co-operative scenarios as well though.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I enjoy the game when I play it but I only play it maybe once a year. The game is bloody long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play it solo and enjoy it very much. I played it coop once and won't do it again. It can be VERY frustrating to play the game with someone who analyzes every move to the nth degree. That's what happened to me; one guy analyzed and re-analyzed every move until it was perfect. It took a long time to get through the game. If that is not a problem for either of you then you should watch the Ricky Royal videos to see if you might like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I play weekly coop with a friend. We do the 2-day scenarios (Blitz and the new Tezla ones) and haven't gotten tired of the game in about two years of play. With that player count and the shorter game it's easily playable in an evening, and the dummy timer never fails to make things challenging because you don't feel like you have enough time to get everything done (even though we usually do). There's also more cooperation than one might think in the discussion of strategy and the sharing of resources (the source and the available enemies, remembering at the end that the lowest person's fame is the start point and that both people have to be city leaders for best points). There's definitely downtime while a turn is being puzzled out from time to time (particularly the big attacks), but it's one of the best gaming experiences for the two of us that we have had!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
I enjoy the game when I play it but I only play it maybe once a year. The game is bloody long.

Naah, you can play it in one to four hours, when you play with a maximum of three players

It's difficult to learn and yet it's not. The walkthrough takes you through the basics and the flow of the game is quite logical. However, you'll always need the ref sheets and some times for all the details, but that's not that bad (well, I don't mind). The ref sheeta that come with the game are great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
For what it's worth, Vlaada Chvatil who is the original designer was not involved in this one.
to be fair, he was 'involved' in Krang and Shades. But as a consultant. We had to run the design past Vlaada and he had to give his approval. So, he didn't design it, but he was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
kostool13 wrote:
For what it's worth, Vlaada Chvatil who is the original designer was not involved in this one.
to be fair, he was 'involved' in Krang and Shades. But as a consultant. We had to run the design past Vlaada and he had to give his approval. So, he didn't design it, but he was involved.

Thanks for the input. This was what I meant, but I corrected it for clarity.

kostool13 wrote:
Vlaada Chvatil who is the original designer was not involved in the actual design of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Naah, you can play it in one to four hours, when you play with a maximum of three players

It's difficult to learn and yet it's not. The walkthrough takes you through the basics and the flow of the game is quite logical. However, you'll always need the ref sheets and some times for all the details, but that's not that bad (well, I don't mind). The ref sheeta that come with the game are great!

I would like to see you try a 3 player game in 1 hour . I think the game is 1h per player. Likely more at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Soderhus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replay value = ad infinitum. Never the same experience, constantly challenging. Never. Ever. Boring. Ever.
Lost Legion-expansion is perfect.
Playtime decreases quickly after a few plays. 3-4 hours I'd guess IF you're into this kind of heavier games. And still you wished the game to not end that quickly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Snake
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the "Shades of Tezla" expansion... wait for the 2nd edition... there seems to be a lot of problems with the cards or quality control of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
It has not been confirmed that there will be a second printing of Shades of Tezla. But that's another topic. For this thread, suffice it to say that you don't need any of the expansions to get full enjoy,net of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eñaut Morea
Spain
flag msg tools
For me it's a great game, one of the best if not the best of my collection. Lots of replayability even without expansions, but Lost Legion is one of the greatest expansions out there.

But I'm also aware that it is not for everybody (my wife for exampleshake), so I would take these possible drawbacks into account before buying it:

-Thinky, heavy, difficult game, lots of possible decisions and calculations sometimes, very AP prone and between turns can be tedious if playing with 3 or more players. Playing coop mitigates this a lot as you can help each other taking decisions.
-Games will last long, sometimes very long, more than 1 hour per player first games if you think about every move and need to check the rulebook constantly. If you just learn by playing, less but still long. It is also highly recommendable to deep rule reading/learning before playing, or to watch videos, as it makes first games much faster. This is more time to consider.
-It is like a big puzzle and for some not thematic. I think it is thematic, but due to the need for constant thinking and calculating you can get out from the theme sometimes. Not good or bad, but it's inherent to a game as deep as this one.

For me is on a different league from Eldritch, which I enjoy, but think it's much lighter, regarding heaviness, decisions and brain burning, so to watch some videos as pointed above is a recommendation I would follow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
Ruesailmana wrote:
broken clock wrote:

I would like to see you try a 3 player game in 1 hour . I think the game is 1h per player. Likely more at the start.

Depends which players and which scenario We could do the first one in under an hour together with a third quick player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
Ruud2009 wrote:
Ruesailmana wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Depends which players and which scenario We could do the first one in under an hour together with a third quick player

Even if you could, and I have my doubts, I have to ask WHY? I hate AP in games as much as the next guy, but I play games for fun, not speed. There is a middle way that gives me the most satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight can be played very well with 2 player in both competitive and cooperative scenarios so I think as long as you and your wife like hand management and a fantasy theme with card-based combat rather than dice based, there's a good chance you'll like this game.

I'm assuming length and setup won't be an issue since Eldritch Horror doesn't scare you away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.