Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Piñata» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Pinata Quick Review - A Must-Have for Fans of Light, 2-Player Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of fast, light 2-player card games, mostly because this is the type of game I actually have time to play on a regular basis. Once the kiddo is asleep, there is a small window before we head to bed, and our brains don't want to work TOO hard.

So, we often find ourselves pulling out Jaipur, Lost Cities and the like.

Enter PINATA! After just a few plays, this is now our favorite game in this category, hands down. Here's why:

The positives:

• Quality components – The mats are BIG and thick, the candies are real wood, and the cards are nice enough.
• Duration is just right – Not too short (as each round of Lost Cities can feel) but not too long. About 30-40 minutes or so.
• Great level of strategy required – Never feels like a brain-numbing logic puzzle, yet you do definitely have to think about how to maximize the use of every single card.
• Unique gameplay – The flipping of the mats constantly changes the playing field, and the ability to play on your opponents side of the mat after finishing your side adds a lot of depth.
• "Take THAT" moments – Just when your opponent feels they've won a mat, plunking down that one perfect card on their side is quite satisfying and fun. There are really no such moments in Lost Cities or Jaipur...
• Looks great – Before I received the game, I was sure I would hate the CRAZY art. But in person, it's actually refreshing to see a game with such a wild, bright theme.

Negatives:

• The pink candies should be much lighter in color; not only do they look similar to the purple and red candies in dim light, but the pink candies are a much different color than the pink cards. This is a very small complaint, but could be improved.
• The rules/instructions are a bit sloppily written. Luckily, it's still easy to understand the rules, but there are a few grammatical errors, redundant sentences, etc. Just feels slightly unprofessional. Again, a tiny complaint.

Overall, though, I can't recommend this enough if you like fast, light, two-player card games like Lost Cities, Jaipur, Morels, Battle Line, Haggis, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Duong
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mofo83 wrote:
Overall, though, I can't recommend this enough if you like fast, light, two-player card games like Lost Cities, Jaipur, Morels, Battle Line, Haggis, etc.

I currently own Jaipur & Battle Line. I've been looking into Pinata and Lost Cities (the card game).

I definitely plan to pick up Pinata. Would you say that Lost Cities is still a great game in its own right and there is room (and time) for all of these games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I never saw this question, Arnold. Obviously it's way too late, but I'll answer it in case anyone else stumbles upon this review and has the same question.

Yes, Lost Cities is definitely still a great game in its own right, and all of the games you mention are unique enough to own them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.