Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone. I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder Adventure Card game. I've got the three sets released so far, and have played through them multiple times. I'm looking to inject some freshness into my next playthrough, so I've started looking at the OP Scenarios for sale by Paizo. I've heard people mention that they are usable at home and not just for OP.

What all would I need to get started with that aside from the PDFs? I haven't bought any of the Character Decks yet; do I need one (or more) to play through the Season of the Righteous, or can I use characters from the base games? If I can, how does that work with the tier system and deck upgrades (which I only really partially understand)? I've looked through the PAC Guild Guide, but it seems as if it's mostly geared towards OP (as it rightly should be), so I didn't find many answers there.

I also saw on Drivethrucards that there are some cards up there by Paizo to go with the Season of the Shackles OP. Are those cards necessary, or can you play through SoS without them? Are there additional cards for SoR?

Basically, I'm looking for a different adventure path than what comes in the box. Does the Season work for that? Wrath is easily my favorite of the three settings, so I'd really like to get some more use out of those cards.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
j.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
All you require to play is the PDFs.

You only need the Class Decks if you're playing officially sanctioned Organized Play (which in this case you're not.) The idea was getting people into brick-and-mortar stores or conventions to play PACG for a small investment ($20) vs. buying a whole Adventure Path. People would hopefully buy the full adventure path once they've played the game. With that said, the Class Decks do add other play styles to mix up your PACG experience.

The scenarios use existing game cards as proxies. If you find the proxies distracting, then you'd buy the Organized Play cards from DriveThruCards. I believe only Season of the Shackles is available at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Basically, I'm looking for a different adventure path than what comes in the box. Does the Season work for that? Wrath is easily my favorite of the three settings, so I'd really like to get some more use out of those cards.

That's exactly what it does. You have different Adventure Decks and Scenarios, and whatever new content that entails (usually a new Villain and Henchman, and possibly a location or two.) The rest is comprised of cards from your game set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, the DriveThru Cards question. You don't NEED those. The PDFs include images of cards to use. They will say things like "During this scenario, treat the villain Sandpoint Devil like it is the villain listed in this PDF." So, you use the Sandpoint Devil and when you encounter the Sandpoint Devil you look at the PDF villain instead. If you sleeve your cards, you can print the PDF, cut the card out and slip it into a sleeve over top of the Sandpoint Devil card and make it even easier. If you want it to be super easy, you can buy the cards from DriveThru. But you don't have to. You can just proxy them.

Now, about the class decks. You have really two options here.

Option 1
You could go out and get the class decks and play straight by the rules in the guide. You can only play characters that have a matching class in a class deck. So, you could play RotR Lem with the Bard Class Deck, but you couldn't play Balazar since their is no Summoner class deck yet. You play it just like you would if you were going to some organized play event. Using the upgrade rules in the guide.

Option 2
Or, you can just play the scenarios like it was a regular scenario that you are used to. Rebuild your decks the normal way. You won't be able to report your characters, but you probably won't care. For Season of the Shackles, the scenarios aren't currently in the tier system, so they'll tell you when to take a card feat or skill feat. For Season of the Righteous, just look at when the tier system gives you a feat and take it at that time (skill feat after the first scenario for example).

So, yes, you can play these at home. And yes, you can play them without class decks (with some small modifications).

You'll also want to check out welbybumpus.com where you can find other ways to expand the game play in the products you already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all so much for the quick and informative responses. And for telling me exactly what I wanted to hear.

I've already got Shield of Rannick printed out from welbybumpus.com, but since Wrath is new and fresh and exciting, I was really hoping I could take advantage of the Season of the Righteous stuff.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for that link! Awesome stuff there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you might enjoy the Rise of the Runelords and Skull & Shackles adventure guides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.