Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for Asymmetric Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Bush
msg tools
Well first off, this is my first post though I have frequented this site for some time.

So I have looked at several geeklists and some reddit posts trying to find some asymmetric games since it is a genre that I enjoy playing. However, I have found that gamers are a bit divided on what an asymmetric game and so am I.

Basically I am not looking for games that just have variable player powers or different starting locations. Or even different objectives IF the game play is the same.

Mr. Jack in New York or Drako are games that would fall into my definition of an asymmetric game.

Games that wouldn't (I mention these because they were in the other threads I looked at):
Cosmic Encounter
7 Wonders

Some games that I am waiting to receive that may or may not help you recommend some games are:

Raptor
Trove: The Crystal Caverns

Also ~90 minutes is preferable as my girlfriend tends to lose interest any longer than that.

And 2-5 players with an emphasis on 2 players.

Sorry for the long(ish) post and Thanks in advance.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
COIN series
Netrunner
Stronghold
Here I Stand

Most wargames.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Bush
msg tools
I forgot to mention in the opening post that I do not like Wargames, well historical ones anyways.

I also own Android: Netrunner. How does Netrunner compare to that?

How similar is Claustrophobia to other Dungeon Crawlers?

I guess one more exclusion would be no "1 Vs All" games, because even though I enjoy them, it's not really what I am looking for with this thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe: it's currently on Kickstarter and won't be released till next year, but seems to fit your requirements...playtests indicate it scales well from 2 to 5 and average playing time, averaging against all player counts, comes in just under 2 hours (which should mean 2-player should easily be around 90 minutes or maybe less)...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Bush
msg tools
otha62 wrote:
Scythe: it's currently on Kickstarter and won't be released till next year, but seems to fit your requirements...playtests indicate it scales well from 2 to 5 and average playing time, averaging against all player counts, comes in just under 2 hours (which should mean 2-player should easily be around 90 minutes or maybe less)...



I think you might be right but I haven't backed it for 2 reasons

1. Tying up that much money and then having to wait for it (I hate waiting cry). Same reason I didn't back The Others: 7 Sins. I will just wait for retail.

2. I'm still a little unsure of how I will like this game, and want to see some more reviews and comments before I buy. Perhaps even play someone else's copy.

But yea, this is pretty in line with what I am looking for. I am just having a bit of trouble looking past the hype and being able to determine if it really is something that I would enjoy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
-7 Ronin
-King & Assassins
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
Avatar
mb
Katabrok wrote:


+1

Claustrophobia is one of my all time favorites.

To get a feel for how it plays, take a read through Sphere's awesome review/session report here: The Dirty 1/4 Dozen.

Also, you can watch Rhado's runthrough of another Claustrophobia scenario here: Rhado's Runthrough.

Good luck with your search!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Portal games, of which I am a huge fanboy, has several good async games that play well with two:

The Convoy
Zombiaki II
Neuroshima Hex
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Imperial Settlers
51st State/The New Era

Of these, only The New Era plays up to 5 (Imperial Settlers may, with Atlanteans, but I'm not sure.) Convoy and Zombiaki only play 2, and N. Hex and Theseus I wouldn't recommend with more than 3. New Era, which I love, plays well with 5 mechanically, but very slowly. 2-3 is ideal, but 4 is doable.

A fantastic async game is Chaos in the Old World, but it should only be played with 4, 5 with the expansion.

Small World may also fit your needs. It plays 2-5 effortlessly.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracilic wrote:
I also own Android: Netrunner. How does Netrunner compare to that?


Netrunner is the old CCG version. You have the right one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
The Voyages of Marco Polo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:


Asymmetric powers... I don't think what you are looking for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Bush
msg tools
the_vinman wrote:


These both fit what I'm looking for really well at a glance. Thank you very much for these.

Quote:
Portal games, of which I am a huge fanboy, has several good async games that play well with two:

The Convoy
Zombiaki II
Neuroshima Hex
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Imperial Settlers
51st State/The New Era

Of these, only The New Era plays up to 5 (Imperial Settlers may, with Atlanteans, but I'm not sure.) Convoy and Zombiaki only play 2, and N. Hex and Theseus I wouldn't recommend with more than 3. New Era, which I love, plays well with 5 mechanically, but very slowly. 2-3 is ideal, but 4 is doable.

A fantastic async game is Chaos in the Old World, but it should only be played with 4, 5 with the expansion.

Small World may also fit your needs. It plays 2-5 effortlessly.


I own Small World, but it really doesn't fit the definition of what I'm looking for. It has variable powers, but the game play is basically the same for each player.

Chaos in the Old World seems like an interesting game, but looking at the description I can't really tell if it fits the bill. I'm not just looking for games with variable powers that feel different, but games where you mechanically play different. If that makes sense.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ravens of Thri Sahashri
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was going to recommend Cthulhu Wars, but I guess it doesn't quite fit your definition of Asymmetrical. (Also, the two-player mode is bit lacking.) Possibly Conan?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Bush
msg tools
malibu_babe_28 wrote:


Release date says 2013 but Funagain has it for pre-order? Second Wave? Sounds interesting...though I really don't like the art. I will see if I can find a video of it.

AmadanNaBriona wrote:
Well, I was going to recommend Cthulhu Wars, but I guess it doesn't quite fit your definition of Asymmetrical. (Also, the two-player mode is bit lacking.) Possibly Conan?


Conan seems really interesting. How's the replay-ability?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
Portal games, of which I am a huge fanboy, has several good async games that play well with two


And yet you missed the obvious Stronghold (2nd edition). I would wait on the rules getting an overhaul though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Scythe...still a couple of more days to go and I'm really positive about this...Looks really promising and right up too your description.....though you might have to wait till Aug....for me...worth the wait I guess
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Bush
msg tools
matthean wrote:
Legomancer wrote:
Portal games, of which I am a huge fanboy, has several good async games that play well with two


And yet you missed the obvious Stronghold (2nd edition). I would wait on the rules getting an overhaul though.


This looks interesting. I think I have watched a video on it before. I know I have heard about it several times and Ignacy has made some games I like.

Could you expand on what's wrong with the rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kings and Assasins
+1 Stronghold (2nd edition) ... The rules have gotten an overhaul with second edition which has took it from a good game to a great game.

Also add

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracilic wrote:
This looks interesting. I think I have watched a video on it before. I know I have heard about it several times and Ignacy has made some games I like.

Could you expand on what's wrong with the rules?


Errors in rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check this out:
The Ares Project -- every faction is so different, they get their own rulebook.



Not, quite what you are asking for, but I'll recommend these anyway. They have extreme variable-player powers that alter gameplay on the level of Cosmic Encounter:

Mage Wars Arena
BattleCON: War of Indines
Pixel Tactics
Sentinels of the Multiverse
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Copeland
msg tools
+1 for stronghold. A friend owns it and I love it to pieces.
And that's with the original rules. I hear much improvement is coming in 2nd edition!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe The Battle of Five Armies? I would recommend War of the Ring, but it is longer than your preferred time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Five Armies?

Edit: ninjaninja'ed! Oh but also, if you like Mr. Jack, check out Letters from Whitechapel? Great cat and mouse game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.